#@($@! bodyroll!!!!! how to stop this?

americanthunder

nuts and bolts
Established Member
not sure if you have done your front control arm bushings and rack bushings, I just did mine a few months ago huge diference in handling,much, much more positive feel it realy made the car much more predictable with nice solid feed back through the steering wheel {you can feel the road surfaces},I just read last night in a new mag that body roll is not only controled by shocks and springs, but in combination of soft factory bushing coupounded together it will also result in roll.

UCBeau

REX-RACER said:
Ever think it could be just you moving back and forth in the seat? How much do you weigh? Are you a large framed person? The side bolstering is not the best on the stock seats. Perhaps an after market seat might help keep you planted better and relieve some of this "wallowong" you're feeling?

Just a thought . . .
i'm 6'0 185 lbs..not large framed by any means..i had planned on some seats pretty soon but i know for a fact that i am not sliding around in them. the bolsters hold me in quite well.

VenomousSVT said:
what size front tires do you have?

My old 96 gt used to handle really well with 255/40-17's all the wat around on real 95r's. I wanted 275's on the rear of the car and for some reason put them on the front too. after this my car felt like it was a truck!!!! after that set of rears wore out I bout some more 255/40's for the front and it cured the problem once again.
i just put 275's on all around, before, i had the stock 245's all around.

UCBeau

americanthunder said:
not sure if you have done your front control arm bushings and rack bushings, I just did mine a few months ago huge diference in handling,much, much more positive feel it realy made the car much more predictable with nice solid feed back through the steering wheel {you can feel the road surfaces},I just read last night in a new mag that body roll is not only controled by shocks and springs, but in combination of soft factory bushing coupounded together it will also result in roll.
not yet, but i'll be going to front coilovers and a new k member pretty soon so perhaps that will cure some of it. i also looked at the MM steering shaft.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
VenomousSVT said:
what size front tires do you have?

My old 96 gt used to handle really well with 255/40-17's all the wat around on real 95r's. I wanted 275's on the rear of the car and for some reason put them on the front too. after this my car felt like it was a truck!!!! after that set of rears wore out I bout some more 255/40's for the front and it cured the problem once again.

I noticed something similar to this when I went to 275/18 on the front too. I noticed that the car "tracked" on the highway more meaning it would tend to follow the grooves in the road more than usual and pull the steering off center. At first I thought it was an alignement issue but then I read where some other people said that wider front tires can cause that sort of thing. I kind of just got used to it but I'm beginning to think that 275 may just be to wide for the front of these cars.

I've heard tread pattern can make a difference on this sort of thing also. I have the BFG KDW2s on my car w/ the "flamming tread patter". When I get a new set of tires I think I may step back to 255 also.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
I noticed something similar to this when I went to 275/18 on the front too. I noticed that the car "tracked" on the highway more meaning it would tend to follow the grooves in the road more than usual and pull the steering off center. At first I thought it was an alignement issue but then I read where some other people said that wider front tires can cause that sort of thing. I kind of just got used to it but I'm beginning to think that 275 may just be to wide for the front of these cars.

I've heard tread pattern can make a difference on this sort of thing also. I have the BFG KDW2s on my car w/ the "flamming tread patter". When I get a new set of tires I think I may step back to 255 also.
well I am running 365/35-18's on my cobra dn it does grab ruts in the road really bad but no other issues from them.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Tire tread design probably plays a larger roll in wondering than tire width does.

Tire width doesn't however have anything to do with body roll which is what this thread is about if memory serves me correct.

Also there is no problem running a 275 section width tire in the front. The wider the contact patch generally the more lateral grip you're going to have which in the corners is a good thing.

americanthunder

nuts and bolts
Established Member
I think tire wandering is not so much tire width but all the play in the control arms and steering, I could move my front tires back and forth with my hands maybe 1/4" not sure but you could see it move and imagine how much its moving with 3500 + lbs of force on it and typical toe settings are with in a 1/16 it seems it could be tuff to hold that, more so on a road thats rutty.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Torch10th said:
Tire tread design probably plays a larger roll in wondering than tire width does.

Tire width doesn't however have anything to do with body roll which is what this thread is about if memory serves me correct.

Also there is no problem running a 275 section width tire in the front. The wider the contact patch generally the more lateral grip you're going to have which in the corners is a good thing.
on the contrair, tire size does ply a roll in handling and body roll. If you have a tire that is entirely too largE for a wheel the rim will roll over the tire causing unstable handleing. For cornering it is impervious to have the correct size tiers on your wheels for optimum performance.

And for the record a 285/35 has less contact patch as a 275/40. Width isnt everything in contact patch. You cant have a tire too thin or you patch will be 12" wide but 3/4 ich deep. A taller tire will allow more sag from front to back on the wheel and you may get 10" side to side but get 2"-3" contact front to back.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
VenomousSVT said:
on the contrair, tire size does ply a roll in handling and body roll. If you have a tire that is entirely too largE for a wheel the rim will roll over the tire causing unstable handleing. For cornering it is impervious to have the correct size tiers on your wheels for optimum performance.

And for the record a 285/35 has less contact patch as a 275/40. Width isnt everything in contact patch. You cant have a tire too thin or you patch will be 12" wide but 3/4 ich deep. A taller tire will allow more sag from front to back on the wheel and you may get 10" side to side but get 2"-3" contact front to back.

Yes tire size, design, compund etc does play a roll in vehicle handling. Not body roll though. Lets take for instance open track tires. Most of them on the market are designed for lighter cars. When you put them on a full weight mustang and co open tracking they tend to roll under the wheel and build excessive heat. This means compromised handling after just a few laps. It doesn't however affect the roll of the body. Body roll is a byproduct of suspension geometry and hardware.

If you could get the roll center at or very near the CG of the car you could run low rate springs and no sway bar and still corner flat. The reason mustangs roll so bad is because the roll center is very low. In the case of most lowered mustangs, below ground level.

Because you'll never create that situation without a complete redesign of the suspension system people combat the issue by throwing high rate springs and huge sway bars at the car. This creates problems of it's own as well as a decidedly harsh ride.

Regardless of what tire you are running on your car the above will not change. Even if you go from a 275/40 to a 255/60 and change the tire heigh. The relationship of the roll cetner to the center of gravity will remain the same thus creating the same amount of body roll.

From a handling standpoint I'd put money on a stock mustang with great tires over a typical suspension upgraded mustang with crappy tires. But that's the whole hanlding aspect not just body roll which is what this thread is about.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Torch10th said:
Yes tire size, design, compund etc does play a roll in vehicle handling. Not body roll though. Lets take for instance open track tires. Most of them on the market are designed for lighter cars. When you put them on a full weight mustang and co open tracking they tend to roll under the wheel and build excessive heat. This means compromised handling after just a few laps. It doesn't however affect the roll of the body. Body roll is a byproduct of suspension geometry and hardware.

If you could get the roll center at or very near the CG of the car you could run low rate springs and no sway bar and still corner flat. The reason mustangs roll so bad is because the roll center is very low. In the case of most lowered mustangs, below ground level.

Because you'll never create that situation without a complete redesign of the suspension system people combat the issue by throwing high rate springs and huge sway bars at the car. This creates problems of it's own as well as a decidedly harsh ride.

Regardless of what tire you are running on your car the above will not change. Even if you go from a 275/40 to a 255/60 and change the tire heigh. The relationship of the roll cetner to the center of gravity will remain the same thus creating the same amount of body roll.

From a handling standpoint I'd put money on a stock mustang with great tires over a typical suspension upgraded mustang with crappy tires. But that's the whole hanlding aspect not just body roll which is what this thread is about.

I do agree 100%, I guess what I am trying to imply is with tire rollover it can feel like bodyroll and can misinterpreted in alot of cases. I wasnt really trying to blame body roll on the tires, I was trying to help diagnose the feeling of body roll he was describing. Just throwing an alternate situation so he could ask in his own mind if it felt like bodyroll or rollover on the tires.

I dont know if his problem is bodyrool or tire rollover or something else. Maybe the whole thing is his seats. Like I said I just wanted to throw out some alternate situations.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
VenomousSVT said:
I do agree 100%, I guess what I am trying to imply is with tire rollover it can feel like bodyroll and can misinterpreted in alot of cases. I wasnt really trying to blame body roll on the tires, I was trying to help diagnose the feeling of body roll he was describing. Just throwing an alternate situation so he could ask in his own mind if it felt like bodyroll or rollover on the tires.

I dont know if his problem is bodyrool or tire rollover or something else. Maybe the whole thing is his seats. Like I said I just wanted to throw out some alternate situations.

Ok I see what you're saying now. Really the only way to find out is to have somebody snap some shots of the car mid-turn to see if it's coming around flat or not.

It's a mustang, we don't have perfect geometry and body roll will always be there. Probably between that fact, the shitty 99 seats and some possible tires issues that could be causing the feeling he's getting of too much body roll.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
If the 99 seats suck on the street wait until the first time on track with sticky tires, that will show just how worthless these seats are. I felt like I was sitting on a bench seat :D

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
If the 99 seats suck on the street wait until the first time on track with sticky tires, that will show just how worthless these seats are. I felt like I was sitting on a bench seat :D

You're not even kidding. I was hoping to be able to get a pair of aftermarket seats in the Cobra before the first HPDE in March but that's not going to happen it looks like.

Speaking of which, the first NASA HPDE is March 11/12 at PMI in colorado. $115.00 per day or $200.00 for 2 days if your interested. Cheap enough that it might be worth the drive from Kansas.

Users who are viewing this thread