BMW M3 Officially Dead

Jack Burton

Established Member
It's a sad day. The last E92 BMW M3 Coupe has rolled off the production line. That doesn't only mean it's the end of the current M3 Coupe, it's the end of the M3 Coupe forever.

Next year, the 3-Series coupe will be replaced by the 4-Series, as BMW continues its new tradition of naming coupes with even numbers and sedans with odd numbers.

But that means the M3 Coupe, arguably BMW's most legendary, well known, iconic (I hate that word too), and versatile performance car has now gone off into the distance, never to be heard from again.

Sure, I bet the nameplate will live on with an M3 sedan in the next year or so, but that really isn't the same thing. The E30 M3 was a coupe, that started it all. The E36 came in coupe and sedan, but you really wanted the coupe, didn't you? The E46 M3 was all coupe, all-the-time as far as I'm concerned.

It's the end of an era. This final bright orange M3 Coupe is it. We'll miss you old friend.

Link to article: http://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-m3-coupe-is-officially-dead-677228405?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
From what I understand they might just change the name to M4 coupe? Not a big deal if it's the same car with a different model.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
The e92 M3 is one of the best cars ever made and the V8 is one of the best sounded motors of all time. I loved my 04 Whipple Cobra, and even contemplate picking up another, but the chassis, look and overall build quality of every component on the e92 M3 is incredible. Adding an ESS supercharger to one with a DCT makes for an incredible machine.

From what I understand they might just change the name to M4 coupe? Not a big deal if it's the same car with a different model.
That's correct the new coupe will be an M4 and the sedan will be an M3. It's not about the name though, it's about the incredible S65 motor the e92 has. The new M's will have a V6 turbo charged motor according to reports. It will be great in it's own right, but the S65 motor is and will always be a work of art just like the Terminator motor.

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I hope they go with the Cobra name.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Guess it's time to finally pick up that E36 or E46 I've always wanted. I see ridiculous price gouging in the near future...

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Meh. I'd be more sad if they weren't replacing it with an awesome coupe in the 4-series. Have you guys seen it? It's a nice looking car. I can only imagine how it will look with proper M styling:

2014-BMW-4-Series-2-Door-Coupe-1920x1080-HD.jpg

BMW-4-Series-Coupe-06%25255B5%25255D.jpg

fangstang

Established Member
New 3 and 4 series is hideous looking. BMW has sold itself to compete with MB and Audi for sales. They have become another bloated, boring luxury group. I miss the old BMW.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
New 3 and 4 series is hideous looking. BMW has sold itself to compete with MB and Audi for sales. They have become another bloated, boring luxury group. I miss the old BMW.

I think they're leaving the [relatively] lightweight canyon-carving duties to the 1 and 2 series. The 3 and 4 are more mid-luxury platforms now.

fangstang

Established Member
I think they're leaving the [relatively] lightweight canyon-carving duties to the 1 and 2 series. The 3 and 4 are more mid-luxury platforms now.

And thats what I mean. Why the need to make so many damn models and dilute the ones you already have/had? It sucks because BMW used to be the choice for the guy that wanted a sporty and luxury car to enjoy. It was the ultimate compromise car. Now, they are heavy, ugly, bloated and have gotten way too expensive even compared to the competition. I got my eye out for a nice E39 M5. :rockon:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
[/B]

And thats what I mean. Why the need to make so many damn models and dilute the ones you already have/had? It sucks because BMW used to be the choice for the guy that wanted a sporty and luxury car to enjoy. It was the ultimate compromise car. Now, they are heavy, ugly, bloated and have gotten way too expensive even compared to the competition. I got my eye out for a nice E39 M5. :rockon:

To reach more buyers, duh?

AAG

Established Member
The car was too heavy for such little torque + the gas mileage was worse than a GT500.

BladeX10

Established Member
The last good BMW was the E46 M3. The latest generation they went overboard with all the different models and they all look the same. I see new BMWs every 2 mins on the road and i cant tell the difference between any of them. They say Mustangs all look the same, BMW is on a whole other level when it comes to all the models looking the same.

kaz109

Established Member
No matter what this new M4 coupe looks like it will lack the soul of all the true M cars before it..the E92 was a masterpiece and the S65 motor was a engineering marvel! Ppl will complain about the tq saying it needed more but it still hit mid 12's with only 295tq. It was perfectly balanced like all M3's are.

A turbo high tq low rev ///M car is not a true M car so the ///M division died with the E9x series . I need to pick one up and hold on to it.

Users who are viewing this thread