BMW M3 Officially Dead

kaz109

Established Member
Meh. I'd be more sad if they weren't replacing it with an awesome coupe in the 4-series. Have you guys seen it? It's a nice looking car. I can only imagine how it will look with proper M styling:

2014-BMW-4-Series-2-Door-Coupe-1920x1080-HD.jpg

BMW-4-Series-Coupe-06%25255B5%25255D.jpg

So u are basing your judgment on how the M car "looks"? Lol.....now I have heard it all

Never_Enough

Established Member
Meh, that 4 series looks bleh. BMW has gone the way of the other manufacturers that make all the cars look the same. Fail.

NinjaBum

Established Member
The BMW crowd shits its pants anytime something new comes along. V8 in the m3? Pants were soiled because it didn't have an inline 6 anymore. I'm sure people are both happy about a 6 again, but others are freaking because it has turbos.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
A lot of the M3 crowd will probably transition to the upcoming M2 if they want a small, lightweight corner carver. I agree that the M4 is just too big for a performance car.

The most recent R&T compared the E90 sedan to the new F30 and they liked the E90 better all around.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
The BMW crowd shits its pants anytime something new comes along. V8 in the m3? Pants were soiled because it didn't have an inline 6 anymore. I'm sure people are both happy about a 6 again, but others are freaking because it has turbos.

This X 65000.

Considering the first M3 started with a 4-banger and was equivalent to a RWD Type R, I don't think tradition is the M3's forte.

EDIT: Not to mention that the last-gen M3 can be outrun by a tuned 335 and a 1M, both turbo cars, you'd think that people would be happier about the M getting a turbo.

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
This X 65000.

Considering the first M3 started with a 4-banger and was equivalent to a RWD Type R, I don't think tradition is the M3's forte.

EDIT: Not to mention that the last-gen M3 can be outrun by a tuned 335 and a 1M, both turbo cars, you'd think that people would be happier about the M getting a turbo.

A 335 needs more than just a tune to outrun an M3. Modded M3 > Modded 335.

I owned a E90 335. It went 12.9 @ 109 MPH w/OTS Cobb AP map & BMS DCI. Maybe I could have outrun an M3 if the driver missed a gear.

If I were going back to BMW today, I'd buy an E92/E90 M3 or E60 M5. Loved my 335, but the M3 is so much more car. Apples to oranges really.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
This! I remember when the E9X M3 was introduced as a V8, ///M fans were crying because it had a V8. Im all for in for the new Turbo ///M cars. A 335i surprised a lot of people and still does in todays time. I would love to see an F platform ///M car, maybe will trade my 335i for one later down the road.
A 335 needs more than just a tune to outrun an M3. Modded M3 > Modded 335.

I owned a E90 335. It went 12.9 @ 109 MPH w/OTS Cobb AP map & BMS DCI. Maybe I could have outrun an M3 if the driver missed a gear.

If I were going back to BMW today, I'd buy an E92/E90 M3 or E60 M5. Loved my 335, but the M3 is so much more car. Apples to oranges really.
A tune only 335i will give an M3 a run from a stop with the edge going to the M3. I would stay far away from the E60 M5, heard nothing but expensive troubles on the tranny. I would also take the M3 E90/92, love the high RPM engine sound and the looks, it really is a different type of car.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
A tune only 335i will give an M3 a run from a stop with the edge going to the M3.

This.

I'm a member at bimmerforums and I have seen enough examples of a tuned 335 giving the M3 what for, hence my carefully worded "can be outrun" statement. Once we add in supporting mods, the M3 only gets left even further behind, unless you spend what is the cost of a whole other car modding the E9X M.

kaz109

Established Member
This X 65000.

You don't get why ppl love the M3 and it shows with each post you make. Ppl don't buy a M3 for straight line speed or power so they could care less about a tuned 335i....far less impressive to make a twin turbo 6cyl make power and BMW is not the only ones doing it.

Ppl want an M3 for the balance but also the rawness and that is what a high rev NA motor give you. A faster 335i is boring in comparison to a M3 , it just doesn't have the same feel. Same reason a GT3 Porsche is most sought after than a GT2 that makes more power .

testorossa1989

Established Member
This could be a good thing. The younger group really has ruined the M3 Image by stancing, drifting ect. Im interested for what they plan on doing. Im even more excited for the rumor that the 8 series maybe relaunched :banana:

testorossa1989

Established Member
You don't get why ppl love the M3 and it shows with each post you make. Ppl don't buy a M3 for straight line speed or power so they could care less about a tuned 335i....far less impressive to make a twin turbo 6cyl make power and BMW is not the only ones doing it.

Ppl want an M3 for the balance but also the rawness and that is what a high rev NA motor give you. A faster 335i is boring in comparison to a M3 , it just doesn't have the same feel. Same reason a GT3 Porsche is most sought after than a GT2 that makes more power .

Id rather have a 335 over a m3 and not worry about hurting the "driving experience" because going from NA to forced induction in bimmers is nasty and costly. Its a pretty obvious answer and the fact some downpipes, tune, gets you 460tq is disgusting and awesome.

kaz109

Established Member
Id rather have a 335 over a m3 and not worry about hurting the "driving experience" because going from NA to forced induction in bimmers is nasty and costly. Its a pretty obvious answer and the fact some downpipes, tune, gets you 460tq is disgusting and awesome.

If you are not worried about the driving experience then it is clear you would be happy with a 335i...it is also far from surprising that bolt one and a tune would yield great gains on a F.I platform so if you are surprised by that....ummmm welcome to the 21 century....BTW my post went completely over your head

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
You completely failed the reasoning behind Kaz's statement. M3's have never been a powerhouse type of car. Its always been about a near 50/50 weight distribution, handling type of car with luxury with long rev's for the track.

I somewhat agree but disagree with Kaz. The 328i is becoming a lot more popular once again because of the 4cyl turbo, people are picking it over the 335i despite is power advantage. Im sure the newer M3 will be lighter than the E9X M3 even with the bi-turbo setup. Only one way to find out, the newer M5 already surpassed the E60 M5 even with its bigger weight.

kaz109

Established Member
You completely failed the reasoning behind Kaz's statement. M3's have never been a powerhouse type of car. Its always been about a near 50/50 weight distribution, handling type of car with luxury with long rev's for the track.

I somewhat agree but disagree with Kaz. The 328i is becoming a lot more popular once again because of the 4cyl turbo, people are picking it over the 335i despite is power advantage. Im sure the newer M3 will be lighter than the E9X M3 even with the bi-turbo setup. Only one way to find out, the newer M5 already surpassed the E60 M5 even with its bigger weight.

What do u disagree with about my post? I understand a turbo platform is more mod friendly but I just feel it takes away from why ppl fell in love with the ///M brand .

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
I think it has more to do with the fact the 3 will not be following the recipe that made it such a fun drivers car if not one of the best. It will be going toward a over weight pig focused on luxury rather than performance. Sort of like what a lot of mustang guys are worried about right now. The Mustang going from being a fun every mans car to a bland boring, vehicle which only focuses on the numbers rather than the actual feel and art of driving.

Users who are viewing this thread