BMR Watts Link

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
TL;DR - BMR's Watts link is AMAZING! It's not just for drag racing. Hella grip and steering response. Will pay dividends on highway pulls.

I finished up installing the BMR Watts link and upgraded pivot yesterday. I went for a test drive, and all I can say is, WOW. What a difference! I previously had their adjustable panhard bar and mount. I thought that was great, but the Watts link is some next level stuff. It genuinely changes the driving experience. From parking lot to city to freeway speeds, the rear (to me) literally feels like something is pulling it down into the pavement. A strange sensation. It's almost difficult to describe. And that's with it adjusted more toward steering response than grip! Setting it more for grip would probably be way too much for street driving.

I mean, words can't really describe my initial impressions. It's something you have to experience for yourself to really believe it's true. Funny thing is, I didn't even buy this thing to enhance grip. I bought it to keep the car's body centered over the rear axle so I wouldn't have that brief "oh shit!" moment that happens when you hook a left hand curve at speed in the S197. It was always disconcerting, and it took away from the driving fun. The car never let go (well, it did twice, but that was at low speed and on a cold road surface/tires), but every time, it would feel like the rear was going to snap around. I got sick of it. Then BMR had a Christmas sale! Time to upgrade to a Watts link.

To be honest, I only thought a Watts link was for body control. I really didn't know about the other benefits. It actually does affect grip and steering! The on-center mush in the steering wheel is significantly reduced. That's something I've been trying to get rid of for a few years now with various suspension bits and tires to varying degrees of success; each incrementally better. This is going to be SO much fun in the mountains this summer!

I also have BMR's adjustable sway bars. I have the rear bar set to maximum tightness, so that's probably contributing a lot to how planted the rear feels. I have the front bar set to the middle, and now it sort of feels like the rear is shoving the front around, but not in an understeer type of way. I'll probably add another notch of stiffness to the front bar to even it out and make the steering response even better. I want it setup where it's not prone to understeer or oversteer, just dead neutral; which will probably be pretty difficult to accomplish on a nose heavy car.

About that grip, though! Toward the end of the shakedown run, I hopped on the highway for a couple of miles. I was in 4th doing somewhere between 55 and 60 at the end of the on-ramp and gave it the spurs for a quick blast. I can honestly say that my GT500 has never buried the speedometer so fast! Maybe it was the cool, albeit humid, air. But I've driven it on days like that before and not gotten that kind of acceleration. Maybe all this time when I was thinking I had traction, I was still spinning the tires. :shrug: Hit a bridge expansion joint and it stayed planted. Crossed over the lane lines and it didn't even squiggle; definitely felt it, but no squiggle.

I opted for the spherical rod ends. If there is any increase in NVH, I can't detect it (yet). In fact, I'm more inclined to say there's slightly LESS NVH back there. The only noise is the gear whine that has been persistent ever since I upgraded the UCA and mount. I only heard one clunk over one bump. That was probably just the Watts "settling" in on the axle. Not one peep out of it over any other rougher bumps.

The install was, for the most part, straight forward. There were no unfortunate or unforeseen surprises, just a lot of loading and unloading the suspension to get at some fasteners and crawling out from under the car.

If you have the coin but were on the fence about getting a Watts link, just do it! It's worth it. It's not just for drag racing.

Oh! I almost forgot. Some of you might recall me mentioning having a real bad vibration around 120. Well, that vibration is non existent at that speed now and not much to speak of when the speedometer is below horizontal. The quick highway blast was smooth.

The bad part is I added 18 lbs back onto the car. The Watts link with all it's fasteners is right at 30 lbs. The BMR panhard bar and brace with its fasteners was 12 lbs. I guess I'll be buying BPS's lightweight engine mounts and VMP's tensioner to offset some of that 18 lbs at the front end. This hobby is sooooo expensive! :'(

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Great review, its missing pictures though!
I was waiting for ages for BMR's watts link, eventually I got tired and went with Whitline.

You are absolutely right, the best mod suspension wise was the watts link. I also encourage people to upgrade from the panhard br, its simply an inferior design.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I was always on the fence about the Watts link. Nobody would ever convey that it was worth the price. Now I know why. It's hard to put into words how much better a Watts link is! It's a pricey part, but it's worth it. After experiencing the panhard bar and now a Watts link, I can say that the Watts link is so superior that a panhard bar doesn't deserve comparison.

What is the next evolution after a Watts link? (Besides going IRS.)

BMR Tech

Great review GT Premi!

Thanks for the feedback, we really like to see what people think of products and their first hand experiences - and are always happy to see people share stuff publicly (whether good or bad)

We spent a full year developing, testing and revising the WL005 and WL006 designs to make sure they are the best possible chassis mount system that money can acquire.

Thank you for supporting our operation, and enjoy your new Watts Link!

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I'm looking forward to installing my BMR Watts link and a bunch of other suspension goodies early this spring. Until then the car - '14 GT - is stashed away in winter storage.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
My pleasure, Kelly! Question, though. Why isn't the WL007 (the upgraded billet pivot) not just included as a standard part of your Watts link?

BMR Tech 2

Thanks for the kind words, I'm happy to hear that you're happy with your Watts link!

My pleasure, Kelly! Question, though. Why isn't the WL007 (the upgraded billet pivot) not just included as a standard part of your Watts link?

We had originally planned on including the billet pivot with all the Watts link kits, but in the interest of cost savings we decided to offer it as an add-on later. Our goal for the Watts link was to bring a part to market that offered the most features for your dollar. While the pivot is nice, it adds a pretty big chunk of change to the overall price of the Watts link and doesn't really offer a huge advantage over the welded plate pivot.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... While the pivot is nice, it adds a pretty big chunk of change to the overall price of the Watts link and doesn't really offer a huge advantage over the welded plate pivot.

:eek: Wish I had known that before I bought the pivot! But no regrets yet. Maybe when people look under there, I can brag about how it's 6 oz. lighter than the standard pivot. ;) LOL

BMR Tech

It's kinda like, a Rolex etc VS a Casio... The Casio does the job just as well, but the handcrafted "automatic" movement timepieces are just so much better. ;)

You purchased the best pivot design on the market. Be proud of it.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I went for a drive for a few hours yesterday. It was great. I still had to work up to trusting left-handers. I eventually gained more confidence in those maneuvers. That "oh shit!" moment is basically eradicated. I don't want to say it's 100% gone until I do some really hard charging on it, but I suspect it is.

Like I mentioned before, now there is a small hint of the front end being a little bit light. Should I tighten or loosen the front sway bar?

This Watts link has actually re-injected the fun back into driving my GT500 in spite of the super aggressive SPEC Super Twin I have in it. So much so that my R might stay parked a lot! Oops...

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
You mean the pivot? I have it in the 3rd hole from the top. I also have your Extreme(?) adjustable rear sway bar. I have that one set to the tightest position. If I can get away with just adjusting the sway bars, I would much rather go that route. I do not want to have to take that Watts link back off and put it back on again! LOL

BMR Tech 2

Yes, the pivot. If the car feels like it's oversteering (rear feels like it wants to come around on you) loosen the rear bar or stiffen up the front. If the car feels like it understeers, (keeps pushing when you try to turn) loosen the front bar or stiffen the rear. I would back the rear off to the 1st or 2nd position instead of the stiffest.

Alternatively, dropping the propeller down can have a similar effect as tightening the front bar or softening the rear.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
did you get the clamp on watts link or the one that attaches to the diff?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

I installed the WL006.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think you will want to soften the rear, not the front.

It's not oversteering. It's feeling like it's going to push (understeer) when pushed to the limit. I want it to remain neutral and/or tend toward a four wheel drift rather than over- or understeer. If I can only choose between under- or over-, I choose oversteer.

Speedboosted

Established Member

It's a clamp on which is meh, only thing I don't like about their watts. Some of the people who really push their cars have the clamps welded which solves any issues.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
It's a clamp on which is meh, only thing I don't like about their watts. Some of the people who really push their cars have the clamps welded which solves any issues.

they offer both. i got the clamp on one. i wish i got the diff mounted one. the clamp on was a pita to install and is heavy. but its a good product and i can feel the difference it makes.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I've thought about taking it to a shop and having them tack it on. Unfortunately, if I do that, I'll never be able to adjust it again because of the way the bolts are installed.

Sent from my BlackBerry. The blacker the 'Berry, the sweeter the use!

Users who are viewing this thread