BMR Watts Link - Teaser

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
If you are going to go to the trouble of removing the panhard bar and substitute a Watts linkage in its place it would only make sense to allow it to be as adjustable as possible in order to optimize the geometry. And as a lateral locating device I can fully understand Kelly's mention regarding surface area. If the material properties/size of the steel used, the location and torque figure of the fasteners, and the estimated load calcs (plus whatever safety factor) are all correct, the axle bracket and mount should be fine.

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
What are the benefits of a Watts link in relatable terms to a suspension newbie?

Are the benefits limited to road racing applications and the like or are there also benefits the average driver may notice in daily driving?

Also, is this the closest that you can get to having an independent rear suspension assuming the same ride quality? IE, The avg stock riding car.

Would you be able to run slightly softer springs out back and retain the same control all else being the same?

Thanks

BMR Tech

Some shots from the installation instructions we are finishing up.

Watts1.jpg

Watts2.jpg

Watts3.jpg

Watts4.jpg

It's almost here. ;)

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
Looks great and a double shear pivot! That looks like a poly control arm bushing there at the pivot? Will the outside ends on the links be poly too? I see those wl005's there.

BMR Tech

Thanks!

The center pivot "bushing" (black) is Delrin.

The Pivot link ends will all be bearing. Then of course, we have the version that will have Poly on the axle mounting side of the links.

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
Thanks!

The center pivot "bushing" (black) is Delrin.

The Pivot link ends will all be bearing. Then of course, we have the version that will have Poly on the axle mounting side of the links.
Gotcha. I didn't think Delrin because I've only worked with white Delrin. Sounds great! I'm hoping for a price by Jan. It's between this and a tuner/tune for a late Xmas present.

BMR Tech

As soon as I know a price, I will gladly share.

I have a good idea right now, but I am afraid it will change when we have our sit down to discuss exact pricing.

Levix

Established Member
Any updates on this? I'm in the market for an adjustable panhard, but I'm thinking of just jumping to a watts link and want to know what BMR is bringing to the table.

BMR Tech

Oh man.

It is going to take us YEARS to make money on this thing, after we release it.

I know no one wants to hear this, but, we have to redesign it. Or, I should say, revise.

There are some issues we have run into, when testing. Honestly, we could start shipping these out as is, in a week or two....but we just cannot do it. I want to make sure this part is right.

Sorry guys. I will share pics of the new design as soon as I can.

BMR Tech

Big update.

So, here is where we are. All of the red parts that you see, are in production. We actually have about 25 kits built up right now.

The bare steel part is the latest prototype. After some initial rigidity testing, I am 99.99% positive that this is the chassis mount we are going to settle with.

The previous version was in the 6" ish range down from the wheel well. This version is only 3.875"....

It took a lot of work to get this part where it is, although it may not appear that way.

*I have not been able to test with a convertible. No idea yet, but I will likely give someone with a Vert a great deal to test it for us ;)

Here are some pics, that should explain any questions you guys may have:

20150320_130030.jpg

20150320_130057.jpg

20150320_130121.jpg

20150320_130146.jpg

20150320_130312.jpg

20150320_130348.jpg

20150320_130459.jpg

20150320_130546.jpg

So basically, we were able to shed a little weight and gain A LOT of clearance - while retaining all of our original RC positions.

And just to share, since I have been asked a bunch - the top RC position is at the centerline of the rear axle with a 1.5" drop. The car in the pictures above, is lowered 1.50".

We are very close to go time. Once we wreck the car into some ditches, drop the car from 18", and modify the current fixture, these should be ready to ship. FINALLY.

- - - Updated - - -

Big update.

So, here is where we are. All of the red parts that you see, are in production. We actually have about 25 kits built up right now.

The bare steel part is the latest prototype. After some initial rigidity testing, I am 99.99% positive that this is the chassis mount we are going to settle with.

The previous version was in the 6" ish range down from the wheel well. This version is only 3.875"....

It took a lot of work to get this part where it is, although it may not appear that way.

*I have not been able to test with a convertible. No idea yet, but I will likely give someone with a Vert a great deal to test it for us ;)

Here are some pics, that should explain any questions you guys may have:

20150320_130030.jpg

20150320_130057.jpg

20150320_130121.jpg

20150320_130146.jpg

20150320_130312.jpg

20150320_130348.jpg

20150320_130459.jpg

20150320_130546.jpg

So basically, we were able to shed a little weight and gain A LOT of clearance - while retaining all of our original RC positions.

And just to share, since I have been asked a bunch - the top RC position is at the centerline of the rear axle with a 1.5" drop. The car in the pictures above, is lowered 1.50".

We are very close to go time. Once we wreck the car into some ditches, drop the car from 18", and modify the current fixture, these should be ready to ship. FINALLY.

BMR Tech

Yeah, I am SUPER happy with this piece.

I think it will be a great compliment to your car - still got your pre-order right here on my desk sir! Thanks for being patient.

mackdog2008

Established Member
Yeah, I am SUPER happy with this piece.

I think it will be a great compliment to your car - still got your pre-order right here on my desk sir! Thanks for being patient.

Thanks man!

I have no problem being patent, quality and functionality comes 1st.

Users who are viewing this thread