Blown Motor or Something Less Unfortunate?

mobeydick

Established Member
Exactly what I'm thinking. Who trades in a built Shelby? Likely someone who already knows it's on its last legs and just wants to be done with it.

OP, are you sure the VW dealership took it as a trade-in, and didn't just pick it up from auction like most other dealerships? Hopefully you don't get stuck with a jacked up vehicle at your own expense.

It doesn't look like the engine was "built", it looks like the original owner had JDM put a Whipple 3.4 on a stock rotating assembly.

Snoopy49

Established Member
If it were me, I would take it back and get a refund. You shouldn't have a problem locating a GT500 in good shape.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If you can return it, I would do so. Things have a way of dragging out long enough to leave you on the hook.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Another thing to consider is the quality of the rebuild. These engines aren't like the old pushrod engines that could be thrown together and run. There are a lot of moving parts that if not assembled in the correct manner will cause catastrophic failure. You need to find a shop that specializes in the repair of these engines.

Here is the factory procedure for removing the cylinder head. Read through the procedure and then ask yourself if you would trust the VW dealership or the low bidder that they find, to follow the procedure.

View attachment 5.8 Cylinder Head Removal.pdf

Last edited:

Blackmax

Established Member
So the op bought the car running without smoke or the missfire buy 150 miles later the motor pops or is the op saying it was already blown?

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
Another thing to consider is the quality of the rebuild. These engines aren't like the old pushrod engines that could be thrown together and run. There are a lot of moving parts that if not assembled in the correct manner will cause catastrophic failure. You need to find a shop that specializes in the repair of these engines.

Here is the factory procedure for removing the cylinder head. Read through the procedure and then ask yourself if you would trust the VW dealership or the low bidder that they find, to follow the procedure.

View attachment 51313

It's at a Ford dealership now with an SVT tech taking charge of the situation

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Not that this is warranty work, but Ford always uses remanufactured engine. That Cobra Jet short block would fall into that category. Snoopy, your making these engines to be way more complicated than they are. However, the aluminum block would tend to complicate any rebuild, since the spray bore liner can't be honed. Most of these would end up with a fresh block or will need to be sleeved.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Catmonkey,
You have a lot more faith in the dealer mechanics than I do. Since this is probably not warranty work, there is no way I would let a dealer repair the car unless they have a reputation of turning out quality service and have extensive experience with these cars. There are just to many flat rate wrenches out there whos only objective is to pump out as much work as they can in the shortest amount of time regardless of quality. They deal in quantity nor necessarily quality.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Actually, I don't have much faith in my local dealership, for sure not assembling a engine from scratch. What I meant by that comment was using a remanufactured short block, it's not rocket science to bolt on the heads and install the cam chains.

Joewee500

Established Member
When I bought my car it had a freshly rebuilt engine from a ford dealership. I called the dealership on the carfax and got the number of the shop that did the rebuild. Guy said the dealership wanted the bare minimum done to get the car back on the road. Bored .020, Mahle pistons, reused stock rods, crank and did no head work at all. I bought the car and sent it off to be looked over. I don't recall all of the numbers but it failed leak down test and there was lots of variance on the compression test. Needless to say it got another build.

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
When I bought my car it had a freshly rebuilt engine from a ford dealership. I called the dealership on the carfax and got the number of the shop that did the rebuild. Guy said the dealership wanted the bare minimum done to get the car back on the road. Bored .020, Mahle pistons, reused stock rods, crank and did no head work at all. I bought the car and sent it off to be looked over. I don't recall all of the numbers but it failed leak down test and there was lots of variance on the compression test. Needless to say it got another build.

We'll see what happens, might just return the car and find another one, this dealership has been around for a long time and is very well trusted but then again they could just be doing the bare minimum like you mentioned

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I would be up that Ford dealers butt and verify everything they plan on doing. I would also ask if you have any say in the matter of what goes in your car. If they're rebuilding the block, which I doubt, see if you can choose the parts and get better rods. If they're getting a new short block see if you can pay a little extra for the FR short block. I hope it works out for you, I had a similar experience with a stealerships and I bugged the sh!t out of them till they got so tired of me they sent me a check to fix the problem. I would call them every day.

Users who are viewing this thread