Blown Motor or Something Less Unfortunate?

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
Picked up my 3.4L Whippled 07 GT500 with 37k miles on 9/14/2015 and since I don't know who tuned it or how well it was tuned I controlled myself by not beating on it and wouldn't beat on it until I had it touched by the magical hands of Bill over at Pro Edge Tuning. Have not taken the car passed 4,500rpm and 3 days after taking delivery I am smoking out the entire highway randomly and burning all the oil (see pics). Personally I think the head lifted, some of my buddies are saying cracked piston, dropped valve, motor is FUBAR'd, etc. It does not have a knock at idle, although it now has a misfire, puts off tons and I mean TONS of white smoke but it smells strictly of burnt oil, there's a layer of oil in the exhaust tips. Flatbedded it right back to the dealer (VW dealer that took the car in on a trade) and so far in 5 days the only thing they have to tell me is this, and this is verbatim what the service manager told me 10 minutes ago "the car is putting off a great deal of smoke, I think we did a compression test but I really have no idea". If anyone can lend a helping hand before I go ape shit on this dealership I would really appreciate it, I put around 150-175 miles on the car since taking delivery to the time of it taking a dump on me.

Thanks for any input!
IMG_4833.JPGFullSizeRender.jpg

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
***Also, correct me if I am wrong but the valve covers look like Termi valve covers not GT500 ones, correct?

JimIII@jdm

Picked up my 3.4L Whippled 07 GT500 with 37k miles on 9/14/2015 and since I don't know who tuned it or how well it was tuned I controlled myself by not beating on it and wouldn't beat on it until I had it touched by the magical hands of Bill over at Pro Edge Tuning. Have not taken the car passed 4,500rpm and 3 days after taking delivery I am smoking out the entire highway randomly and burning all the oil (see pics). Personally I think the head lifted, some of my buddies are saying cracked piston, dropped valve, motor is FUBAR'd, etc. It does not have a knock at idle, although it now has a misfire, puts off tons and I mean TONS of white smoke but it smells strictly of burnt oil, there's a layer of oil in the exhaust tips. Flatbedded it right back to the dealer (VW dealer that took the car in on a trade) and so far in 5 days the only thing they have to tell me is this, and this is verbatim what the service manager told me 10 minutes ago "the car is putting off a great deal of smoke, I think we did a compression test but I really have no idea". If anyone can lend a helping hand before I go ape shit on this dealership I would really appreciate it, I put around 150-175 miles on the car since taking delivery to the time of it taking a dump on me.

Thanks for any input!
View attachment 51219View attachment 51220

Looks like our customer Todd Rothschild's GT500, I can tell by the white Whipple and the fuel rail crossover line/bracket we made. The car had the Whipple on since almost day 1. We did the install and initial tune in 2008, Car made over 700 RWHP if I recall correct. Obviously it ran fine for over 30K miles after that point so I would say the previous tune we made was spot on. Todd was never easy on his cars, he kept maintenance and keeps them clean but would often do pulls over 150mph and roll race with his buddys.

I don't know what the tune up that you had put on the car looks like, and the quality of fuel with this much power is always in question. If you are looking to build a shortblock we have a really good deal on an Aluminum 5.4L Shortblock we built for a Super Cobra Jet that would suit your build nicely! http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...tblock-converted-to-Wet-sump!!!-One-of-a-Kind!!!

Sounds like the bottom end is toast, Your going to have to have the engine pulled and dismantled and go from there.

No clue on the covers, we did not change those but appear to be Ford Racing aftermarket.

JimIII

Last edited:

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
Looks like our customer Todd Rothschild's GT500, I can tell by the white Whipple and the fuel rail crossover line/bracket we made. The car had the Whipple on since almost day 1. We did the install and initial tune in 2008, Car made over 700 RWHP if I recall correct. Obviously it ran fine for over 30K miles after that point so I would say the previous tune we made was spot on. Todd was never easy on his cars, he kept maintenance and keeps them clean but would often do pulls over 150mph and roll race with his buddys.

I don't know what the tune up that you had put on the car looks like, and the quality of fuel with this much power is always in question. If you are looking to build a shortblock we have a really good deal on an Aluminum 5.4L Shortblock we built for a Super Cobra Jet that would suit your build nicely!

Sounds like the bottom end is toast, Your going to have to have the engine pulled and dismantled and go from there.

No clue on the covers, we did not change those but appear to be Ford Racing aftermarket.

JimIII

Well at least I can somewhat put my mind at ease knowing that I now have some background history on the car, there was an SCT XCal2 in the trunk when I bought the car however I don't know if the dealer could have used it and returned it to stock when they took the car in, don't know what fuel they were using and they told me the sales manager had been driving around which leads me to suspect they probably returned it to stock and the sales manager was beating on it then my final few miles were the straw that broke the camels back. Clearly the dealership does not know what they are looking at/dealing with so I will give them the option to let someone who does know what they are doing work on it (at their expense of course). If you have any history on the car would you be able to PM it to me?

Thanks!

JimIII@jdm

Well at least I can somewhat put my mind at ease knowing that I now have some background history on the car, there was an SCT XCal2 in the trunk when I bought the car however I don't know if the dealer could have used it and returned it to stock when they took the car in, don't know what fuel they were using and they told me the sales manager had been driving around which leads me to suspect they probably returned it to stock and the sales manager was beating on it then my final few miles were the straw that broke the camels back. Clearly the dealership does not know what they are looking at/dealing with so I will give them the option to let someone who does know what they are doing work on it (at their expense of course). If you have any history on the car would you be able to PM it to me?

Thanks!

The Car should have 60lb injectors, Ford Racing 123mm CJ maf, Ford GT inlet boot, and Ford Racing twin 63.5mm TB. Also Kooks headers. We lowered the engine about 3/4" to fit the blower. That's really about it under the hood, the car should have adjustable tokico shocks and 1 piece alumnium driveshaft we installed as well. I wrote him an estimate for a Whipple Crusher inlet and bigger injectors in 2012 but never upgraded. The Xcal 2 is what we would have used to tune it back then. Send me the vin # of your can and I can verify it was Todd's.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
That's what I was assuming. Any dealer that would sell that car with a warranty doesn't deserve to be in business.

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
I'm guessing this car came as-is with no warranty too...?

Correct but my buddy who owns a dealership said since it is valued over $3,000 they must legally repair any mechanical damage since there is a legal warranty of 30 days or 1,500 miles. I had it for 3 days and drove it less than 200 miles

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
or 60 days/3,000 miles if the vehicle has less than 100,000 miles and was valued over $5,000

MysticRob

Established Member
Correct but my buddy who owns a dealership said since it is valued over $3,000 they must legally repair any mechanical damage since there is a legal warranty of 30 days or 1,500 miles. I had it for 3 days and drove it less than 200 miles

or 60 days/3,000 miles if the vehicle has less than 100,000 miles and was valued over $5,000

Is this a NY law?

I read your OP and thought, "magical hands, indeed, the tuner blew the engine".
Let us know what the verdict is!

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
Is this a NY law?

I read your OP and thought, "magical hands, indeed, the tuner blew the engine".
Let us know what the verdict is!

I now strongly believe that the dealership tuned it back to stock for emissions and the sales manager beat on it until I came around and bought it :shrug:. That law applies to NY, CT, and MA. They keep giving me the run around when I call asking for a status (its been there since Friday), they will be getting a surprise visit this afternoon, will keep you guys posted on the verdict :rockon: :pop: :beer:

moncho

Established Member
OP seems like you've done your homework on what your rights are so you have that on your side. They certainly know the laws as well, so they may be stalling.

There should be a way to verify what tune is currently in the car based on what the SCT shows you, that is if it's mated to that car. Someone correct me if I'm wrong? If it's verified true I would run. This would certainly go with your theory of someone stomping on it with a stock tune.

Best of luck!

nxhappy

Established Member
jesus....NEVER buy a performance car without knowing the guy and what has been done to it.

Sounds like you took a chunk out of the piston.

4a7191a

Established Member
That's what it sounds like to me too.
Just did an r&r on a 4g63. Too much timing and it melted the piston down to the rings and experienced what we thought was a head gasket.. Til the head was off. :/

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Motor is toast and be ready for a battle with the dealer, they'll give you the moon and stars until it's time to start reaching into their own pocket book. Crazy to me the car was traded in that way, most are returned to stock virgins, in theory anyway.

Franco

Established Member
It is covered under ny state lemon law for sure. Similar situation happened to me and the dealership I bought my car from allowed me to bring my car to another repair shop due to the lack of experience on my car. Don't waste any time and get the ball rolling ASAP.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I could be wrong but there is no way the car would run even remotely correct with the mods, especially the larger injectors with the stock tune.

Last edited:

mobeydick

Established Member

Thanks for any input!
View attachment 51219View attachment 51220

Sorry for your loss, you may need the services of some people who don't mind breaking bones if you expect anyone to give you a new engine or any real money back!

TVS VERT

Established Member
Was this after Bill tuned it or you didn't get a chance for him to tune it ? Bill would not allow the car to leave unless tuned properly and safely ......if he did tune it the tune would be spot on that you can be assured

Users who are viewing this thread