Blowfish shifter bracket

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Do you have the stock shifter or MGW?
If you still have the stock shifter, I'd hold off a few weeks, but this is a must have for the manual owners IMO.
Shifting is greatly improved after installing the BFR bracket, great product. Reminds me of shifting when I had a MGW on my 06 GT. Shifting is much more precise, click-click. It eliminated the binding/lockout I would occasionally get going into 3rd above 5K rpm.
Some with the stock shifter have now developed a rattle in the stock shifter due to the hard mount rear. BFR is working on a mod at this time. No noises reported with those who already have the MGW installed due to the different rear mount.

I am experiencing the rattle with my stock shifter. Only between 3000-3500rpm when accelerating and below full throttle. If I grab the base of the stick, the rattle stops. I do plan on getting a better shifter. Does the rattle you're talking about apply only to those with the completely stock shifter, or something like a Barton that still uses the stock shifter box?

I'm totally fine with the vibration. I would just prefer no rattling noise!

aircare84

Established Member
I am experiencing the rattle with my stock shifter. Only between 3000-3500rpm when accelerating and below full throttle. If I grab the base of the stick, the rattle stops. I do plan on getting a better shifter. Does the rattle you're talking about apply only to those with the completely stock shifter, or something like a Barton that still uses the stock shifter box?

I'm totally fine with the vibration. I would just prefer no rattling noise!

I have not seen any reports of the rattle with the Barton shifter, only those with the stock shifter & only a small percentage of those with the stock shifter are reporting this. Care less about the vibration as well, expected it. And can only hear the rattle with windows up on mine.

FKing1

Established Member
Installed on my 13 Boss with Barton Shifter. No vibration.
Curious if those with the Blowfish have been to the Drag Strip & eliminated the lockout at rev limit?
Only complaint is the instructions didn't mention U must remove Barton rear bracket. Thought something wrong until I figured this out. Then had to remove & reinstall the upper Blow F Bracket.

86Fbody

Established Member
Installed on my 13 Boss with Barton Shifter. No vibration.
Curious if those with the Blowfish have been to the Drag Strip & eliminated the lockout at rev limit?
Only complaint is the instructions didn't mention U must remove Barton rear bracket. Thought something wrong until I figured this out. Then had to remove & reinstall the upper Blow F Bracket.

The instructions may be a little vague in spots. Though it does say to remove the stock rear mount, and the Barton is pretty much the same just a beefed up version.
X

Were have you heard about this fix for the stock shifter ?

I checked their website and don't see anything about this...

Also, do you know why they say that it is not compatible with the V6 ? They use the same transmission?

I have one of the beta fixes, Steve is waiting on me to modify the unit to see if it removes the rattle, just have to find time.

senderofan

Established Member
I experienced the high rpm lockout at my last track date in late September, with the bracket installed. The bracket was designed to cure imprecise shifting and not intended to address the high rpm lockout.....that seems to be with the clutch and/or oem throw out bearing. The bracket works 100% as advertised......it makes shifting precise...meaning......the gears will be where they're supposed to be. it won't matter that the motor / tranny twist under acceleration. The shifter will be married to the tranny and not the body. So, high speed lockout is not what the bracket was designed to cure.....But the bracket works extremely well for what it was intended to do.

Wayne

Last edited:

JoeJ

Established Member
I'm got mine installed today. Installed the Steeda Tri-AX shifter, Barton and whiteline bushing previously. Love the Blowfish bracket. It makes everything crisp and precise.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
Have mine for a little while now with some racing and trust me it's something you have to have with an mt82. Significant improvement I would say more so than the MGW, clutch line, fluid and whiteline.

86Fbody

Established Member
I modified the beta mount Steve gave me a few weeks ago, per his instructions, and it seems be even better noise wise. I will have to test out some high RPM pulls today to see if I get any rattle.

lpheaven

Established Member
I experienced the high rpm lockout at my last track date in late September, with the bracket installed. The bracket was designed to cure imprecise shifting and not intended to address the high rpm lockout.....that seems to be with the clutch and/or oem throw out bearing. The bracket works 100% as advertised......it makes shifting precise...meaning......the gears will be where they're supposed to be. it won't matter that the motor / tranny twist under acceleration. The shifter will be married to the tranny and not the body. So, high speed lockout is not what the bracket was designed to cure.....But the bracket works extremely well for what it was intended to do.

Wayne

Agree - 99% of the time my shifting is fine. The other 1% is either an improper shift or the clutch - the latter being the issue imo. I have basically no slop to begin with so i guess im lucky. Now that i have upgraded to a Procharger i am getting more lockouts at nice high intended revs- this is a clutch issue pure and simple.

FKing1

Established Member
Their web-site states, " prevents high RPM lockout." Same with the several Vendors that sell the bracket.
Haven't been to the strip yet , but, will see if their claim is true.

86Fbody

Established Member
Their web-site states, " prevents high RPM lockout." Same with the several Vendors that sell the bracket.
Haven't been to the strip yet , but, will see if their claim is true.

I guess that is a bit of a grey area, it will prevent high RPM lockout's due to the shifter twisting with the torque of the motor/trans causing misalignment.

pufferfish

Established Member
The only other place for lockout to happen is in the clutch. Of course the bracket will not cure a clutch issue.

Good Dawg

Track Dawg
I installed the bracket before SCMC Fall VIR event. Stock shifter with Mcleod twin disk clutch, stainless line.
I had no shifting issues.......Ya!
Bracket is well made, easy to install, and it fixes the real issue.

FKing1

Established Member
I installed the bracket before SCMC Fall VIR event. Stock shifter with Mcleod twin disk clutch, stainless line.

Do you shift at the rev limit, around 7 to 7500 RPM?

This is where I have the problem.
Also, after several hundred miles it has developed a vibration when starting out under a load condition.
Checked and all bolts are tight & put insulation over top of shifter bracket, no help.
Barton Shifter.

86Fbody

Established Member
Do you shift at the rev limit, around 7 to 7500 RPM?

This is where I have the problem.
Also, after several hundred miles it has developed a vibration when starting out under a load condition.
Checked and all bolts are tight & put insulation over top of shifter bracket, no help.
Barton Shifter.

IMO the high RPM shifter issue is a clutch problem, I have a similar issue where if I am WOT and hitting almost redline I can shift all gears fine except 5th, at that point it seems to just not go in. No grinding but I do get a clutch smell, making me point my finger at the clutch. The vibration is going to happen with the BF bracket because the shifter is now rigidly attached to the trans and so the vibration from the trans goes into the shifter. This is also why the new MGW Race Spec still uses the rear bushing attached to the body.

FKing1

Established Member
IMO the high RPM shifter issue is a clutch problem, I have a similar issue where if I am WOT and hitting almost redline I can shift all gears fine except 5th, at that point it seems to just not go in. No grinding but I do get a clutch smell, making me point my finger at the clutch. The vibration is going to happen with the BF bracket because the shifter is now rigidly attached to the trans and so the vibration from the trans goes into the shifter. This is also why the new MGW Race Spec still uses the rear bushing attached to the body.

2 to 3 & 3 to 4 at WOT is where I have the prob. As previously stated have not been to the strip yet to test the Blowfish.
May consider changing the Barton to an MGW if prob persists.

86Fbody

Established Member
2 to 3 & 3 to 4 at WOT is where I have the prob. As previously stated have not been to the strip yet to test the Blowfish.
May consider changing the Barton to an MGW if prob persists.

Unless you are completely against doing a clutch I would consider that instead. The stock clutch/pressure plate combo is pretty sad, you would end up probably having to replace it at some point so why not now?

Good Dawg

Track Dawg

I should have said, it fixes the shifter problem, You still need a better clutch if you are shifting at high revs.

FKing1

Established Member
Update to a vibration/rattle some have reported with the Blowfish bracket & Barton Shifter , the fix is not for MGW's.
They released an isolation add on bracket & different snout clamps for the vib prob.
Costs $40 , but, they refund the $$ when you return the old clamp parts.
Installed one last weekend and no more vibration or rattle. Easy install.
Good fix.

Users who are viewing this thread