Blowfish shifter bracket

senderofan

Established Member
Installed mine today....went for a shake down ride. Nothing but smiles here....also had my wife drive it....she says it is the single greatest improvement for shifting.....when compared to the MGW and Whiteline bushing. Biggest hassle for me besides getting the car up on jack stands...is trying to work around the driveshaft...not much room. But I may have less room due to my O/R X pipe.

IMG_0840_zpsf24df8ff.jpg

IMG_0845_zps19251c4b.jpg

IMG_0847_zpsc327f928.jpg

IMG_0841_zps98bd5452.jpg

Last edited:

Dineau

Established Member
What about vibration of shifter knob ?

I've seen a post on an other forum reporting drastic increase in vibration..

senderofan

Established Member
What about vibration of shifter knob ?

I've seen a post on an other forum reporting drastic increase in vibration..

Yes.....There is more vibration being transmitted through to the shifter. I think Steve, the inventor, made mention of this when he started beta testing. In any event....you only notice it when shifting and it did not add any additional noise into the cabin. The vibration doesn't bother me or my wife....we follow the teachings of our HPDE instructors...both hands on the wheel except to quickly change gears.

Realistically....this bracket does an amazing job eliminating the vague and often rubbery feeling of the remote shifter. Under hard acceleration....there's no more guessing, as long as I do my part....the gears are where they're supposed to be and changing gears is quick and precise. I would gladly accept increased vibration for precise shifting. It's extremely frustrating for me when I'm not 100% confident of what gear I'm getting into while on the track...Problem solved.

Wayne

P.S.

The increased vibration is the direct result of marrying the shifter to the transmission versus the shifter being married to the transmission tunnel ( car body )as Ford did from the factory. So the shifter moves in concert with the tranny and not being independent.....which you probably already know...sorry.

Last edited:

dsp

Established Member
I have a slight vibration in the shifter after install, but not close to what I would call drastic. When you go from a marshmallow mount to a solid mount, some vibration is to be expected. Either some are seeing more than others or the perception of drastic vibration is different for some. After 3 runs with my bracket installed I don't notice the vibration anymore. Some are also reporting noises as well, I have no additional noise after the install. I'm sure that issue will be identified and sorted out eventually.
The slight increase in vibration is more than worth the precise shifts.
I would bet this is why Ford didn't solid mount the shifter in the first place, too many people would complain about noise and/or vibration. They must have figured the few that wanted better shifts would find a solution.

Last edited:

Jabooh1

Established Member
Got mine in under an hour. Very easy install. Haven't got on the track yet but just in the neighborhood it seems like night and day.

senderofan

Established Member
I agree with the night and day description. No doubt Ford chose the oem setup to remove NVH. The imprecise feel of the shifter was the only gripe left I had with the car. Guess I've been reverse engineering all the work put in to remove NVH in the suspension and now driveline.

Wayne

pufferfish

Established Member
Guess I've been reverse engineering all the work put in to remove NVH in the suspension and now driveline.

HA! so true! I am slowly chipping away at my car's docile manner too! its the best car ford has put out there, but the harder you push it, the more you feel the NVH compromises...and the more you need to "correct" those compromises.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I'm loving mine! mgw shifter and whiteline bushing installed previously. with the blowfish bracket everything is crisp and precise. no worries about IF it is going to make it into gear anymore.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Drive about 80 miles back and forth to work today with it installed. Definitely noticeable vibration on the shifter but it doesn't translate to the car. It's not horrible by any means. Kinda reminds me of the 95 GT I had with a short throw shifter.

aircare84

Established Member
Do you have the stock shifter or MGW?
If you still have the stock shifter, I'd hold off a few weeks, but this is a must have for the manual owners IMO.
Shifting is greatly improved after installing the BFR bracket, great product. Reminds me of shifting when I had a MGW on my 06 GT. Shifting is much more precise, click-click. It eliminated the binding/lockout I would occasionally get going into 3rd above 5K rpm.
Some with the stock shifter have now developed a rattle in the stock shifter due to the hard mount rear. BFR is working on a mod at this time. No noises reported with those who already have the MGW installed due to the different rear mount.

Last edited:

senderofan

Established Member
I am considering buying this....is everyone still happy with the new bracket?

I am absolutely delighted to have the bracket. Will be doing a track day this coming Monday.....which I anticipate the bracket will shine in that environment as well. I would not hesitate to recommend this upgrade....I feel it is the single best upgrade for the remote shifter blues, really it is in a league of its own...there is nothing else out there that corrects the issue to this degree. It is worth every penny and much more IMHO.

The only other upgrade I foresee in my future...would be to install a better clutch....but that's for reasons the bracket was not designed to address.

Wayne

Last edited:

Dineau

Established Member
X
If you still have the stock shifter, I'd hold off a few weeks, but this is a must have for the manual owners IMO.......
BFR is working on a mod at this time. No noises reported with those who already have the MGW installed due to the different rear mount.

Were have you heard about this fix for the stock shifter ?

I checked their website and don't see anything about this...

Also, do you know why they say that it is not compatible with the V6 ? They use the same transmission?

dsp

Established Member
I have the stock shifter with the bracket. No noise, no rattle. Some slight vibration, but what would you expect with the solid mount to the trans? I prefer the vibration and precise shifts to the stock mount and having that vague feeling.

The current bracket isn't compatible with the V6 because the trans and shifter are mounted differently, the shifter arm is longer so the bracket doesn't reach the snout. Blowfish is working on a solution for the V6 owners.

Users who are viewing this thread