blew up the 3650!!!!!!!

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I have a ProMotion built T45 in my 99. It has lived behind a 509rwhp setup, a 554rwhp setup, a 530rwhp setup, and now a 355rwhp setup. 4.10 gears and 3.55 gears. Drag racing, road course tracking, and street driving. I have nothing but love for it. Did I shift hard and fast when I drag raced? Hell yeah, I am a member of the "never lift" club (when the car is running right). Do I run it and shift it at 6800 rpms multiple times per lap for 30 minutes at a time? Yep!

Is the extra weight of the T56 worth the minimal gain in gas mileage with the extra overdrive gear? Not in my opinion. Especially if someone is purchasing a stock Teminator T56.

On top of that, I have missed MORE SHIFTS in 6 speed transmissions than I have EVER missed in a 5 or 4 speed tranny. This is from experience in Cobra's, Z06s and 350Zs. For me, the shift patterns are just too damn close for fast shifting.

Is the 3650 prone to more breakage than the T45s? In stock form, history says yes.

Can the 3650 be built to handle high torque, high rpm launches and some abuse? Yes, call Walt at ProMo.

If you want to have a T45 built, I have one in pieces that I will let go for cheap. It would be a perfect candidate to have built.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
On top of that, I have missed MORE SHIFTS in 6 speed transmissions than I have EVER missed in a 5 or 4 speed tranny. This is from experience in Cobra's, Z06s and 350Zs. For me, the shift patterns are just too damn close for fast shifting.

If you want to have a T45 built, I have one in pieces that I will let go for cheap. It would be a perfect candidate to have built.

I have to agree here. I miss shifts all the time in my T-56. Even street driving, i.e. not driving hard. They are damn close together. It doesn't happen as much as when I first got it, but it does happen alot. Honestly, I wish I had talked to more guys that actually had them before I bought one. I jumped right on the 6 speed is better than 5 bandwagon. If I didn't have so much invested in it, I would have my T-45 built. BTW, I also have a broke T-45 that I just want to get rid of. :)

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I have a ProMotion built T45 in my 99. It has lived behind a 509rwhp setup, a 554rwhp setup, a 530rwhp setup, and now a 355rwhp setup. 4.10 gears and 3.55 gears. Drag racing, road course tracking, and street driving. I have nothing but love for it. Did I shift hard and fast when I drag raced? Hell yeah, I am a member of the "never lift" club (when the car is running right). Do I run it and shift it at 6800 rpms multiple times per lap for 30 minutes at a time? Yep!

I'd like to take a shot at breaking that one.... ;)

Good stuff to hear! Is it the pro-shifted variety, or just upgraded?

Believe it or not....I'm a bit of a gas mileage miser, and if I could get a T45 with a better 5th gear, I'd dump my T5 setup in a heartbeat (have a .59 5th in it....G-Force dog-ring, syncos).

cobraracer46

Banned
Honestly, I wish I had talked to more guys that actually had them before I bought one. I jumped right on the 6 speed is better than 5 bandwagon. If I didn't have so much invested in it, I would have my T-45 built.

I've had my Viper T56 on my car for over a year now and I'm I glad i'm a proud member of the "6 speed is better than 5 bandwagon"! 6speeds are better than 5.

By the way, I did not chose the Viper T56 simply because it was the most expensive box, I chose it because it fetured a 650+ FT PD torque capacity(no more worries about a blow up), the fact that not one single Viper T56 in the aftermarket has suffered a mechanical failure, the excellent .50 6TH gear and of course the feture common to all T56 boxes: a removable bell housing that makes a clutch job a snap comparied to the living hell of man handling a T45 or TR3650 that deos not have a removable bell housing.

Piss on the T45 and TR3650:burn:

SVECobraR

Established Member
I just destroyed my PMP T-45, well not 100% PMP. I bought the input shaft and all upgraded parts from PMP, then got a used 99 cobra T-45 with 20k miles and had the only Authorized Tremec tranny shop do the build. 310rwhp and 1800 miles later the gears at the end of the input shaft and cluster gear got stripped and destroyed.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I've had my Viper T56 on my car for over a year now and I'm I glad i'm a proud member of the "6 speed is better than 5 bandwagon"! 6speeds are better than 5.

By the way, I did not chose the Viper T56 simply because it was the most expensive box, I chose it because it fetured a 650+ FT PD torque capacity(no more worries about a blow up), the fact that not one single Viper T56 in the aftermarket has suffered a mechanical failure, the excellent .50 6TH gear and of course the feture common to all T56 boxes: a removable bell housing that makes a clutch job a snap comparied to the living hell of man handling a T45 or TR3650 that deos not have a removable bell housing.

Piss on the T45 and TR3650:burn:

I have some ocean front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Bob ,

I am pretty sure it is just upgraded with Walt's normal build. It is actually the T45 out of Sprayed Pony's old New Edge car when he parted it out years ago. That ProMo tranny has been in his high hp car, his brother's high hp car (something like 700+ if I recall correctly), and then behind my various combinations over the last several years.

To give an idea of what this tranny stood up to, when I got it, the top of the middle housing section had a crack all the way across the case. I had the internals pulled and put in another T45 case and then installed in my car. Somewhere along the line it encountered enough torque to crack the case, yet the internals are still good to this day.

-Kevin

gmsux

Established Member
That says a lot for t45's potential!

I switched to the HDT56 for our own reasons and we're (wife) happy with it. The longer 1st with 4.10's is better for our driving requirements and we really like the 5th gear. With a MGW shifter, I don't have any missed shifts to report even at my 7K shifts!

I'm not advocating a T56 over the others, point being, each owner needs to build the car and select the trans for what they want to do. Period. Hence, now I'm no longer looking at a turbo kit but planning for a TS setup....

To each his own but do a lot of research and compare with your goals before buying expensive parts!!!!

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I'm not advocating a T56 over the others, point being, each owner needs to build the car and select the trans for what they want to do. Period. Hence, now I'm no longer looking at a turbo kit but planning for a TS setup....

To each his own but do a lot of research and compare with your goals before buying expensive parts!!!!

OUTSTANDING advice.

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I dont have any trouble swapping clutches in my car. The only time I feel that a removable bellhousing would be nice it with some of the long tubes out there.

I almost went with the T56 but I am an avid drag racer and wasnt ready to deal with the too long 1st gear, and the extra weight.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member

:bowdown: If more people thought this way instead of jumping on bandwagons, the internet would be a much better place.

Snap on MOFO

Established Member
Unless your car is pretty modified and making some decent power, the T56 will be a bad mod. They are stronger and are great transmissions, but they're not geared for a car that doesn't make low end power. Best bet is sending your 3650 to Promotion!

Dude I love your quote at the bottom about rather krazy glue your dick to a drag car then live in cali. I laughed for 10 min.

2001cobraguy

Established Member
well this started out as a thread about two pain in the ass bolts but has turned into my research about what im going to do to solve the problem once i get the trans out. i havent even had time to run to the parts store to pick up a freakin wrench!! but i will do it one of these days. so i want to thank everyone for their opinions and recommendations. everyones ideas and thoughts have been taken into consideration. and i still think im going to stick with the 3650. its what came in the car, no mods necessary, im mostly driving on the street, not going to run slicks to increase chance of breakage, not running any power adders now or in the near future, drag racing once in awhile, so with just the stronger internals and a new shifter,no more powershifting @6000rpm:) i think this trans could be ok.......

SVECobraR

Established Member
Does the 3650 have a removable bell housing like the t-56? If so i might build a 3650 for my next tranny rather then go back to a t-45.

Nazman

Established Member
I just destroyed my PMP T-45, well not 100% PMP. I bought the input shaft and all upgraded parts from PMP, then got a used 99 cobra T-45 with 20k miles and had the only Authorized Tremec tranny shop do the build. 310rwhp and 1800 miles later the gears at the end of the input shaft and cluster gear got stripped and destroyed.

One thing that you get when you purchase the tranny from Pro-Motion that you dont get with buying their parts is thier experience.

Thie assembly and blueprinting to thier specs! Its like setting you an engine, or porting a set of heads. The devils is in the details! So, IMHO that is where your failure occured.

I have a PMP750 TR3650 and I must say this is a bad bioatch tranny!

Been behind some pretty nice set-ups from 450+RWHP NA to 700+RWHP Nitrous and Turbo combos.

Nitrous launches at 7000RPM and slics with 4.56s, and shifts at 8250RPMs on my current motor. Keep in mind, that I dont powershift 1-2 and just 1 out of5 2-3 and every 4th.

Been on the car for about 4 years, well over 100 passes and gets beaten every day!

Yes, she is a little noisy...but other than that! My hat is off to Walt and his crew!

Naz

Users who are viewing this thread