Blew out a plug....

Tarball

Established Member
So i shot out a plug tonight... any idea what it will cost for Ford to fix it?

I'm not anywhere close to geed enough to fix it myself.

01vert

Established Member
Have you tried to thread the plug back in by hand? Sometimes they strip the threads and some times they just back out of the threads and can be salvaged without rethreading.

Dont try a dealership first. Try a place that works on trucks, places that work on Ford trucks will be familiar with this. The need to install a threaded insert, I believe the one that is commonly used is a timesert. Runs around 300-400 max. Call around and find a place that has done this before so they have the tool for it. Prices can vary by a bit for this too so watch out.

A dealer will want to replace the head for something like $2k usually.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Sorry bro, yet another victim, yeah if you haven't been experiencing misfires in the last view days gently try and screw the plug back in, I couldn't do it with mine..

warpd

Established Member
It sucks man but it's a common problem with these cars. I have blown out 2 so far one on the driver side and one on the passenger side. The first one would not thread back in so I had to use a Timesert kit but it worked like a charm. The second one threaded back in. I would encourage you to try and fix it yourself if money is an issue and you are even somewhat mechnaicaly inclined. The Timesert kit is around $200 dollars but you will have it if it happens again or you can turn around and sell it for $150-175 on ebay. The kit is very easy to use, if you can put spark plugs in you can use the Timesert kit. Very simple instructions just follow them and take your time and you should be good.

warpd

Established Member
What would be the point of that? If I was going to go through all that I might as well just put the later 04 heads on with the 9 threads. The whole point of the Timesert kit was to save money and time. Both of which I saved alot of and from everything I have read the Timesert is stronger than the stock threads anyways. Some people go ahead and do all 8 as preventative maintenance.

Last edited:

Tarball

Established Member
It doesn't thread back in sadly, but I won't pay for a new head. Local dealership, said they can Helicoil it.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I actually disagree. The way the helicoil gets seated in the surface leaves it a bit weaker than a timesert.

Timeserts are the ford approved repair solution.

Yup, what he said.

4 thread heads are fine as long as you torque the plugs. The same thing can happen to 8 thread heads if the plugs aren't instlled correctly.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Yup, what he said.

4 thread heads are fine as long as you torque the plugs. The same thing can happen to 8 thread heads if the plugs aren't instlled correctly.
4 threads Heads are FINE?? haha!! don't think so! Tolerable might be a better word!

warpd

Established Member
4 threads Heads are FINE?? haha!! don't think so! Tolerable might be a better word!

+1 If they were fine this wouldn't be as common of a problem as it is and they wouldn't have changed them. Blowing a plug out especially if you are a ways from home will ruin your day. Ford dropped the ball pretty hard on this aspect of our motors.

svtleen

Established Member
I was just reading this thread today and I found out from my mechanic that my Spark plug in cylinder 8 had just blown out and it wasn't the exhaust leak that I thought it was. :mj:

Users who are viewing this thread