Bleeding intercooler system (help)

Cody M

Established Member
Hello, so I got my motor reinstalled and noticed my intercooler tank wasn’t circulating. So I jumped the relay for my pump and you can hear it turn on so I pulled the return line off of the intercooler tank and tried sucking air through it and got a little coolant to come through. This still wasn’t enough for it to flow freely so next I hooked a shop vac up to the return line again and got a decent amount of coolant through as you can see in the picture but after I connected it to the tank and jumped the pump it still wasn’t flowing. So next I figured it was my pump so I purchased a new pump, installed it and still having the same issue. I’m not sure what to do at this point to get the air out of the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5138.jpeg
    IMG_5138.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5111.jpeg
    IMG_5111.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 37

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I actually used my air blower from my compressor to pressurize the tank when I changed out my HE and fluid years ago. I put he jumper in while doing it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Really dumb question, but is it plumbed correctly? I've never had to do anything special to bleed the intercooler side. Just jump the relay and make sure the tank doesn't go dry when the pump starts sucking coolant.

Of course now that I've said this and my tank is currently off the car I'm going to have issues now.....

Cody M

Established Member
Really dumb question, but is it plumbed correctly? I've never had to do anything special to bleed the intercooler side. Just jump the relay and make sure the tank doesn't go dry when the pump starts sucking coolant.

Of course now that I've said this and my tank is currently off the car I'm going to have issues now.....
Yes I believe so, I mean the hoses only reach so far on the pump, for my case I don’t think the shop could have installed them incorrectly due to the length differences on them. But also I do get coolant to come out from the hose coming from underneath the blower but not a consistent amount to where It will continually flow. So since some is coming out leaves me to believe the hoses are on the correct way

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'll double check my hoses when I get home. You'd think they wouldn't reach, but you'd be amazed at what a shop can mess up. Just look at some recent threads around here.

Cody M

Established Member
I'll double check my hoses when I get home. You'd think they wouldn't reach, but you'd be amazed at what a shop can mess up. Just look at some recent threads around here.
Man I’ve read probably 50+ threads that I could find lmao but okay sounds good thank you

Cody M

Established Member
IMG_5141.jpeg

I was just saying that because it seems like there's been a lot of issues as of late with random shops.
So from following the hoses. The top right hose connects to the intercooler and the first hose to the left is the one that’s coming from the intercooler tank. Is this the correct way?

03' White Snake

Established Member
I’ve never had this problem. I’ve drained mine so many times too. I just fill it up with fluid, jump it and make sure it doesn’t go dry and it’s always worked.

The pump won’t turn on until a certain temp is reached while the car is running, so that is normal too btw.

Try shaking the lines/hoses while jumped, squeeze them like an old radiator hose. Also make sure the cap is open so it’s not sealed system.

Cody M

Established Member
Hey guys so I watched a guys video and noticed he had his hoses the opposite to mine. So the hose coming from the pump goes into the top of the heat exchanger on my car. In his video he had his hose going into the bottom of the heat exchanger. Is mine correct or is it supposed to be flipped?

Attachments

• IMG_5145.jpeg
    IMG_5145.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 32

01yellercobra

Established Member
You want it to go to the bottom of the heat exchanger. Otherwise the air will get stuck at the bottom of the heat exchanger. Same with the intercooler under the blower. Make sure the coolant is going it at the bottom and out of the top.

Sorry about not getting back to you last night. I spaced on it when I got home. I looked a little bit ago and I can't see anything. I forgot I had dropped my car off the ramps and it's a little low for a husky guy like me to slide under it.

Cody M

Established Member
You want it to go to the bottom of the heat exchanger. Otherwise the air will get stuck at the bottom of the heat exchanger. Same with the intercooler under the blower. Make sure the coolant is going it at the bottom and out of the top.

Sorry about not getting back to you last night. I spaced on it when I got home. I looked a little bit ago and I can't see anything. I forgot I had dropped my car off the ramps and it's a little low for a husky guy like me to slide under it.
No worries, so the hose coming from the pump should be fed to the bottom of the heat exchanger correct? If so mines routed wrong and I’ll go ahead and change them.

Cody M

Established Member
Okay so need more help. I can 100% confirm the coolant flows from the pump, into the heat exchanger, and up to the intercooler. My blockage is from the intercooler brick back into the tank. Something is blocking the coolant from flowing through the intercooler, any idea what it could be? I took the return hose off and the hose from the heat exchanger that sends the fluid up to the intercooler and I blew air down and was able to get coolant to come out so air is clearly making its way through the intercooler brick so I don’t know what it is that’s stopped the coolant from making its way through the intercooler brick and back into the tank. Any ideas?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is the inlet going into the bottom port of the brick? The brick needs to be set up the same way as the heat exchanger as far going from bottom to top.

If all that is good you might have a clogged intercooler.

Users who are viewing this thread