Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Thank you Torquerules! I cannot take credit for that one. I sat down with my engine builder and told him what power level I was trying to achieve and he went with an Erson custom ground camshaft. I do not remember the lift off hand (not that huge. In the upper end if the 500's I think). What I do remember is he went with a 108 lobe separation. I thought that was pretty stout, but he said for my engine size it wasn't too radical.

Even my tuner mentioned the lift wasn't too much, but he did think the centerline of the camshaft was pretty hefty LOL.

I am VERY happy with the "sound" of this engine. Need to get some bugs worked out before I can take it out and drop the hammer to see how it performs. Looking forward to that day LOL.

Yes, that 108 lobe separation coupled with whatever your duration is (at .050 more than total duration) is what gives it that nice lope. Erson makes some nice grinds. For the weight of that car and the cubic inch a hugely radical cam is really not needed to get the power you want. Should be nice and torquey and fun to drive.

Goocher0310th

Established Member
HA HA HA HA.......

Did you guys really think I failed to make a video of me pulling it out of the garage for the first time????????

Here are some shots of the engine in the sun.
View attachment 1745210

View attachment 1745211

Here are some shots of the car with the sun in the background.
View attachment 1745212

View attachment 1745213

View attachment 1745214
One word to describe this car, Amazing!!!

You built yourself a work of art Glenn. As others have said, anything less than 100K agreed value and you are shorting yourself. Great job and keep posting videos!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
HA HA HA I love this.

Red 65 Mustang lifting the wheels off the line AND grabbing second gear before the tires come back to Earth!!!!

Awesome!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
One word to describe this car, Amazing!!!

You built yourself a work of art Glenn. As others have said, anything less than 100K agreed value and you are shorting yourself. Great job and keep posting videos!!

Thank you Chris!!! VERY kind of you to say sir. Some times I look at it and wonder if I over built it. Meaning do I really want to drive it on the street and risk rock chips? Then I say hell yes! This is going to be a fun little car LOL.

I'm actually going to see if Grundy will approve $120K. Shoot for the stars right? LOL.

Yes sir, I will definitely keep posting videos. As mentioned, my tuner already called me and said when I drive it around the block to let him know and he will come over and film it with a drone. SWEET!!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Haha yeah that's always fun to watch. You better get her back into the garage and get back to work if you wanna do that though. :ROFLMAO:

LMAO!!! I equate that to babies and pets 98 svt. Meaning it's fun to watch and play with, but someone else can have the headaches of maintaining it and fixing it when it's broken LOL.

I've had my fill of track days and fixing parts that break or fail. I'm looking forward to something I can just drive on the street, have some fun with and maintenance is minimal or routine at best.

C2tuck

Established Member
Hello Chad. I was just playing with my post. I do NOT see you as that guy at all.
I felt your question was honest and sincere. No way have you ever been a dick or put my build down in anyway.

I'm with you. I do not like the way it looks, but as mentioned above I failed to address this. I'm okay with accepting that and I'm definitely okay with others asking about it and us discussing it. It can and will be fixed one day.

You have a great eye for detail and I'm sure your C-10 will definitely be as good, if not better than my car.

I appreciate you Chad and please keep talking about things that don't look right. I "do" miss things and comments like your help me get this car to an even higher level.

Oh, never thought you would Glenn. Just explaining my reasoning for pointing out the rear bumper. I meant I wouldn’t want someone being a dick over criticizing my build, so I’d never do that myself either.

Like mentioned before, If it weren’t for the other body lines being so perfect, it wouldn’t be as noticeable. But, hey, at least you know a decent painter…lol.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Oh, never thought you would Glenn. Just explaining my reasoning for pointing out the rear bumper. I meant I wouldn’t want someone being a dick over criticizing my build, so I’d never do that myself either.

Like mentioned before, If it weren’t for the other body lines being so perfect, it wouldn’t be as noticeable. But, hey, at least you know a decent painter…lol.

Okay cool. Appreciate you brother!!!

I get what you're saying. Those bumpers fit like S#!T from the factory. I think when my brother had the bolts welded in, so he could achieve the shaved look, the brackets might have been welded in crooked which is exacerbating the situation and making it look even worse.

I have to take my car back to the fabricators shop to have my front grill cover modified. In it's current position it doesn't allow the hood to close properly. That's why if you look at the engine pictures above, the ones taken out in the sun, the grill cover was removed.

So, I'll have my fabricator look at the rear bumper and see if he can adjust it. Even if he cuts it up and adds some metal, as you mentioned, I know a decent painter LOL....

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay Everyone,

Got my wider tires put on the rear today.

Man, all I can say is....... 275.... It's a magic number..... LOL....

This car/body style looks soooooo good with those wide meats out back. Pictures really don't do it any justice. Looks so cool in person.

VERY happy with this look. The 275 even fills in the wheel well more too.

Some general overall shots.
20220413_190106.jpg

20220413_190028.jpg

20220413_190041.jpg

20220413_192346.jpg

20220413_192424.jpg

20220413_192452.jpg

20220413_192503.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
And some close ups....

275 is so much better than 235 LOL.
20220413_192015.jpg

Love how the 275 is taller and also fills in the wheel well.
20220413_185740.jpg

Still plenty of room for the tire to tuck up in the QTR when hitting those hard bumps.
20220413_185801.jpg

20220413_185837.jpg

20220413_185923.jpg

That little lip Ford designed really was a great idea LOL.
20220413_185952.jpg

I love this shot. Just looks cool.
20220413_192244.jpg

Got some dusting to do under the car LOL.
20220413_192128.jpg

Plenty of clearance from the inside wheel well. 275 seems to be the perfect size for my set up. SWEET!!!
20220413_192147.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Not much on the picture side, but VERY productive day today.

I mentioned that the bugs I needed to work out are my brakes, my power steering leak and my alternator.

I was able to fix 2 of them, but found another bug LOL.....

First thing I did was bleed my brakes again. I used my brake vacuum pump and went around the car twice. Then I had my wife come out and help me. We then bled the brakes one final time the old fashioned way and they work GREAT now.

Funny how I am actually taking 1 step forward, but seeing a picture like this makes me feel like I'm taking 2 steps back LOL.
20220416_095008.jpg

After I got my brakes working well, I addressed my power steering leak. There is an adapter between my power steering hoses and my rack. Those adapters use a nylon washer to seal them to the rack. Well the nylon washer on the pressure side was completely crushed and distorted. Not sure how this happened. Maybe when I was tightening the pressure hose I over tightened it. Since I was there I replaced both washers (pressure and return).
20220416_154221.jpg

After I got everything done I put my wheels back on and pulled the car out into the driveway. I let it get up to operating temperature while I went around the car and torqued my lug nuts. Then I put my center caps back on and tightened up my knock offs.

I mentioned I found another bug. Well, while I was walking around the car I noticed the side exhaust on the driver's side was open and the side exhaust on the passenger side was closed and the exhaust was exiting the passenger rear.

LMAO!!! I got the wires crossed so the exhaust was working opposite of each other. It was drivers side and passenger rear. I would press the remote and then it was passenger side and driver's rear LOL...... Definitely not a cool sound for this build.

So, I got under the car and reversed the wires on the driver's side. NOW, it works as it should. Both rear at the same time and then both sides at the same time LMAO......

Got to love when I shoot myself in the foot. However, these are the kinds of bugs I can deal with.

I will work on fixing the alternator issue next. Tomorrow is Easter, so I will be doing the family thing......

Happy Easter to all you guys and your family. And thanks to all who follow this build and provide likes/comments/feedback! Greatly appreciated brothers!!!

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
Finally caught up to your current progress and it definitely doesn't disappoint. Congrats on the journey so far, now for the final push to get it over the line then you get to enjoy the ride.

Users who are viewing this thread