Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Then after I got the front end put together I put the new wheels on the passenger side. Once I did that I put the car on the ground and thought to myself..... Should I????

Hell yes I should!!!

So, I pulled it out into the sun.

DAMN, 2 years and this day has finally come. I love this car. I'm so happy!!! And proud too......

Although I still have some bugs to work out.....

I'm officially calling this build done!!!!! Started in May of 2020. Completed in April 2022.....
20220410_171255.jpg

20220410_171306.jpg

20220410_171339.jpg

20220410_171847.jpg

20220410_171907.jpg

I love this reflection shot....
20220410_171936.jpg

And a couple with the hood down.
20220410_172242.jpg

20220410_172248.jpg

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Then after I got the front end put together I put the new wheels on the passenger side. Once I did that I put the car on the ground and thought to myself..... Should I????

Hell yes I should!!!

So, I pulled it out into the sun.

DAMN, 2 years and this day has finally come. I love this car. I'm so happy!!! And proud too......

Although I still have some bugs to work out.....

I'm officially calling this build done!!!!! Started in May of 2020. Completed in April 2022.....
View attachment 1745198

View attachment 1745200

View attachment 1745202

View attachment 1745204

View attachment 1745205

I love this reflection shot....
View attachment 1745206

And a couple with the hood down.
View attachment 1745207

View attachment 1745208
Stunning!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The camshaft choice sounds perfect as well. ;)

Thank you Torquerules! I cannot take credit for that one. I sat down with my engine builder and told him what power level I was trying to achieve and he went with an Erson custom ground camshaft. I do not remember the lift off hand (not that huge. In the upper end if the 500's I think). What I do remember is he went with a 108 lobe separation. I thought that was pretty stout, but he said for my engine size it wasn't too radical.

Even my tuner mentioned the lift wasn't too much, but he did think the centerline of the camshaft was pretty hefty LOL.

I am VERY happy with the "sound" of this engine. Need to get some bugs worked out before I can take it out and drop the hammer to see how it performs. Looking forward to that day LOL.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
You need to call your tire guy back too and have him go ahead and order you another set of rear tires…I don’t think the first sets gonna last that long.

LMAO Chad! I do have a line lock on this bad boy. May have to test it out in order to make sure it works properly LOL....:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

ToddW702

Established Member
Yeeees brother. It’s so cool to see it together and driving out of the garage like that. That car looks amazing. The deep dish on the rear wheels gives it another level of custom, and put that with the perfect paint and most people will know right off the bat that your car is serious. It is worthy of a full walk around at a car show to me so I could see all angles and admire. A lot of cars are walk by deals then there is a stop and look under the hood types and then there is stalker walk around and talk to the owner jobs like yours. The under hood shot is money. Absolutely stunning sir. Get ready for a lot of questions at a show. Most of them will be hey who did this and that and the best part is you did. Like you said people will walk away and say to their friend or wife “he didn’t do all that in his garage.” You could just make a Card with your info on it and give it to them and say this guy did the car, he builds one every two years and he is booked up. Lol it would be cool to see if people call for a quote.

Anyways it’s great to see it completed. Now let’s hope there aren’t to many little bugs to work out. I doubt there will be. You should be very proud of your work and patience it is top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's been a long build, but so worth the money, sweat and the occasional loss of sleep. LOL. It looks awesome. I'm not sure which is more impressive. The visual statement the car makes or the auditory statement. Man does that engine sound awesome. Heads will turn when people hear the motor, and then turn again when they see your Mustang.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Yeeees brother. It’s so cool to see it together and driving out of the garage like that. That car looks amazing. The deep dish on the rear wheels gives it another level of custom, and put that with the perfect paint and most people will know right off the bat that your car is serious. It is worthy of a full walk around at a car show to me so I could see all angles and admire. A lot of cars are walk by deals then there is a stop and look under the hood types and then there is stalker walk around and talk to the owner jobs like yours. The under hood shot is money. Absolutely stunning sir. Get ready for a lot of questions at a show. Most of them will be hey who did this and that and the best part is you did. Like you said people will walk away and say to their friend or wife “he didn’t do all that in his garage.” You could just make a Card with your info on it and give it to them and say this guy did the car, he builds one every two years and he is booked up. Lol it would be cool to see if people call for a quote.

Anyways it’s great to see it completed. Now let’s hope there aren’t to many little bugs to work out. I doubt there will be. You should be very proud of your work and patience it is top notch.

WOW Todd! Amazing feedback/complements. Thank you brother!

I know exactly what you're saying. I do that at car shows too. Just glance at most cars unless something really grabs my attention.

I'm pretty sure my car will grab some attention and cause folks to ask questions. I hope so anyway. I really enjoy talking to people about their cars and finding out where they got their ideas and who did the work/paint. I also want to hear what people think about my car too.

However, I'm prepared for the non-believers LOL. I like your idea about the business card with my information on it. I wonder how many would connect my name on the business card to my name as the owner on the car show window sheet LMAO???

I agree with you 100% on the wheels. The day I put them on the driver's side and looked at them I felt the car just went to the next level. I could not stop smiling when looking at that deep dish wheel on the car :D ...

I don't have very many bugs right now. My brakes need to be re-bled. My power steering is leaking and my alternator is not working. I'll tackle those one at a time starting with the brakes next weekend.

Thanks again Todd. Really enjoyed reading that post kind sir!

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Glenn, super badass!!

Is there any adjustment in the rear bumper on these cars? I truly don’t know as I have never messed with an older mustang.

Thank you Chad!!!!

ROFLMAO!!! You really are that guy...... LMAO!!! Just kidding brother... Just kidding.

I really like your eye for detail. I could build a project with you my friend.... Love people who want it done right.

There is very little adjustments in those bumpers. Mine has "some" left to right adjustments, but zero in and out and zero up and down.

I never meant to get this deep into the build on the body work side. I never intended to repaint the car. That was kind of an after thought when I seen the fenders didn't match the doors after I painted them. Also, after seeing the bad spots all over the car I decided to repaint it.

"IF" I would have know how deep into this I was really going to get I would have cut and grounded the metal on the bumper to give it a way better fit. I "may" have my fabricator friend address that rear bumper one day, but for now I'm just going to enjoy it as is.

My only hope is most will be spending their time looking at the engine bay LMAO!!!

I appreciate you providing feedback Chad and asking about things that seem off. Reaffirms that what I notice as being off is seen by other car guys as well.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
It's been a long build, but so worth the money, sweat and the occasional loss of sleep. LOL. It looks awesome. I'm not sure which is more impressive. The visual statement the car makes or the auditory statement. Man does that engine sound awesome. Heads will turn when people hear the motor, and then turn again when they see your Mustang.

Thank you Bob! Yeah, I have to agree that both the visual and auditory statements are exactly where I wanted them to be. I'm extremely happy with the visual, but that sound is what does it for me. I have always loved the sound of a mean muscle car.

Being that mine is a coupe I'm sure all the Mustang guys are going to be wondering what the hell I have under the hood. At least until they see that side stripe LOL.

I called my engine builder today. I've actually only interacted with him a few times and I believe it's been over a year since I picked up the long block from him (I just checked my invoice says Dec 2020). Anyway, I called him to thank him for building me such a badass engine and he actually remembered me and was asking if I got my EFI sorted out. He asked because I had told him I was concerned about my cam and EFI computer playing well with each other.

I thought that was pretty cool. I gave him my YouTube channel name and told him to go check it out when he has time.

I just finished removing my back wheels of the 65. Either tomorrow or the day after it's going back to the tire shop to get the 275s.....SWEET!!!

ToddW702

Established Member
Down the road a rear bumper project won’t be to bad. I see it too, but I wasn’t going to point it out. Since we are talking about it I think the ends would be material added and shaped to be perfect. I think since the build is so nice and tolerances are so tight everywhere it might stick out more than usual. But no need to sweat it. It would considered a small project compared to what you just accomplished. Seeing how you do things and your eye for detail I won’t be surprised to see this project happening in the near or not so near future. Congratulations on a well don’t car.

Dam power steering leaks. If you have to replace the pump I would buy it with the pulley already on it. Those things are a pain.

C2tuck

Established Member
Down the road a rear bumper project won’t be to bad. I see it too, but I wasn’t going to point it out. Since we are talking about it I think the ends would be material added and shaped to be perfect. I think since the build is so nice and tolerances are so tight everywhere it might stick out more than usual. But no need to sweat it. It would considered a small project compared to what you just accomplished. Seeing how you do things and your eye for detail I won’t be surprised to see this project happening in the near or not so near future. Congratulations on a well don’t car.

Dam power steering leaks. If you have to replace the pump I would buy it with the pulley already on it. Those things are a pain.

I actually didn’t want to be that guy to point it out, as I’m sure he already saw it himself, and didn’t until hours later and I was still thinking about it.

To me it was an honest question. I know my F250 bumper was way out of adjustment and drove me nuts until I fixed it. Didn’t know if there was an adjustment that got overlooked somehow.

Glenn knows I’m going all out building a C-10. I’d honestly want someone pointing out what they truly saw, not as a dick or to put my build down, but honest opinions from honest car guys is different. I appreciate the eye for detail, especially on a build of this level. I can only hope my truck will be deserving of being in the same ballpark as Glenn’s car.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

As always Todd, appreciate the feedback. I'm glad you see the bumper too and that we "are" talking about it. I really hope @C2tuck does know I was only joking in my post and was sincere about me having zero issues with him mentioning it. I actually appreciated him mentioning it.

I agree that in the grand scheme of things it needs to be addressed. However, I just didn't plan on it. It is a part of the build I failed to address. I accept it and appreciate us talking about it.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I actually didn’t want to be that guy to point it out, as I’m sure he already saw it himself, and didn’t until hours later and I was still thinking about it.

To me it was an honest question. I know my F250 bumper was way out of adjustment and drove me nuts until I fixed it. Didn’t know if there was an adjustment that got overlooked somehow.

Glenn knows I’m going all out building a C-10. I’d honestly want someone pointing out what they truly saw, not as a dick or to put my build down, but honest opinions from honest car guys is different. I appreciate the eye for detail, especially on a build of this level. I can only hope my truck will be deserving of being in the same ballpark as Glenn’s car.

Hello Chad. I was just playing with my post. I do NOT see you as that guy at all.
I felt your question was honest and sincere. No way have you ever been a dick or put my build down in anyway.

I'm with you. I do not like the way it looks, but as mentioned above I failed to address this. I'm okay with accepting that and I'm definitely okay with others asking about it and us discussing it. It can and will be fixed one day.

You have a great eye for detail and I'm sure your C-10 will definitely be as good, if not better than my car.

I appreciate you Chad and please keep talking about things that don't look right. I "do" miss things and comments like your help me get this car to an even higher level.

Users who are viewing this thread