Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Wow, tons of great progress! Replacing a couple lines is much easier than modifying the pan, even though you had some challenges getting those lines done. Speed dawg makes a white ball with the punisher scull on it(if I remember correctly) that could be the way to have both the scull and the white ball. I love this build, can’t wait to hear it run.

Thank you geoffmt! Really appreciate the feedback. Yes sir, I agree and will have the lines modified/rerouted after I blow it apart again in preparation for paint. I'm probably just going to stick with the Hurst shifter ball. I have had one in my 89GT and I have one in my 03 Cobra (coupe). I think they look great.

Thanks again. I always appreciate and welcome feedback!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone. Was a busy weekend. Had to get things done in time to watch the AFC and NFC championship games LOL.

I received a couple boxes Friday evening. It was my Speedhut gauges and my new transmission mount set up. As always it's good and bad LOL. No problem though. That's why we hot rod.... To modify LOL...

20210122_152240_resized.jpg

First my Speedhut gauges. I love these things. They came out great! Here they are mocked up in gauge holder I bought.
20210122_163257_resized.jpg

20210122_163312_resized.jpg

Not the best pictures, but a couple to compare them to my American Muscle gauges. I think overall they work well together.
20210122_163402_resized.jpg

20210122_163410_resized.jpg

Here they are mocked up in the car. Not sure where I'm going to place these. I have a couple options (I'll show later), but I do like them here, so all my gauges will be together and at the same level.
20210122_163825_resized.jpg

20210122_163908_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay next up is my new transmission mount set up. The side to side mount remained the same, but the transmission resting plate was changed in order to accept the GM style tail shaft. Good news is everything I needed was sent. Bad news is it still didn't fit LOL. Time to modify the mounting resting plate...…

Here you can see the new transmission mount fits the GM tail shaft. Good to go here. Now if you look at the bottom of the mount. You will see the resting plate and you will see the hole to the left is still off and there is a blue wax pencil mark on the mount where the hole should be on the plate. Time to make some new holes.
20210123_130152_resized.jpg

Okay the new hole was made and the mount fits in the resting plate. However, it looks crooked. This threw me off for a little bit, but I figured it out. The transmission "IS" straight and level. The side to side mount is off, but the resting plate had oblong holes drilled in it to make up for this. At least that was done for me LOL.
20210123_130147_resized.jpg

Here you can see just how bad the side to side is off, even though the mounting holes to the frame line up (strange :oops:). I'm telling you this was driving me crazy. So, I had to verify for myself LOL.
20210123_130140_resized.jpg

First I placed a level on the transmission itself. Within spec.
20210124_115603_resized.jpg

Then I placed the level on the resting plate and it is spot on. The funny thing about this pic is it is lined up with the cross member, so it still looks crooked LMAO!!!!
20210124_115643_resized.jpg

At this point I still wasn't convinced. So, I put my laser level/pointer on the back of the tail shaft and it hits dead center on my rear end.
20210123_131530_resized.jpg

I still wasn't convinced as I figured maybe my hand was influencing the laser. So, I then put the laser on the ground and it is perfect. Lines up with the center of the tail shaft and hits dead center of my center section on the rear end. SO.... The level says I'm good and the laser re-enforces I'm good. So, DAMN IT, I'm good LMAO!!!!
20210123_131800_resized.jpg

Here you can see the laser splits the center of the tail shaft. Right down the middle.
20210123_131914_resized.jpg

I had to take this picture at an angle because straight on I would be blocking the laser. However, you can see it is dead center. The laser even lines up with the top fin on the center section. Okay, now I'm convinced it "IS" correct LOL.
20210123_131944_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay, for those of you following along I stated I made a local purchase. Well, this weekend I mocked it up.

Obviously it needs to be upholstered, but I still need to figure out how I'm going to set this up. I could put the Speedhut gauges here and put a stereo in the dash. I could put my ECU hand held monitor here. I need to figure out where to put the switches for my line lock and E-brake.... Do, I put cup holders or not LMAO???

So, still have some thinking to do.....

The green tape is there to show me where the center line of the shifter is compared to the center console.
20210123_102028_resized.jpg

20210123_102040_resized.jpg

20210123_102100_resized.jpg

20210123_102109_resized.jpg

20210123_102127_resized.jpg

Also, I received my reservoir fitting. I didn't want to use a clamped on rubber hose. So, here is my idea on this. To use a -3AN line. Looks like this is going to work. Got this mocked up and I think I'm going to use a hard line here and then use this -3AN hose at the transmission to connect the throw out bearing to the hard line in order to give me some flexibility.
20210123_154904_resized_1.jpg

20210123_161223_resized_1.jpg

20210123_155141_resized_1.jpg

20210123_155158_resized_1.jpg

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
Your not OCD by chance. LOL.
I always second guess myself and over analyze minute things.

Looks good. Corrected error in analization. Gauges are in original radio location.

Sounds like some good plans. Who makes the console? Do they do one for 70's? Yes to cupholders. If you leave the gauges where you have them you could use the flat spot on the console for a double-din unit with a backup camera. ECU in display in the console arm rest area. You can pull it out when you need to see it otherwise hide it.

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Lastly, as I sat and watched the games on Sunday I did some electrical work.

Got the rear of my instrument cluster cleaned up and added some zip ties. Love the plug and play set up.
20210123_140352_resized.jpg

Took my factory harness for my back up lights and neutral safety switch and got them wired to plug up to my new TKO transmission.
20210124_101243_resized.jpg

Neutral safety switch harness.
20210124_103926_resized.jpg

Back up light harness.
20210124_101212_resized.jpg

Went inside the car and got my speedometer harness to speedometer made (Black (ground) and yellow (signal) wires). Now I need to make the end that goes from here to the transmission.
20210124_112657_resized.jpg

20210124_114707_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Your not OCD by chance. LOL.
I always second guess myself and over analyze minute things.

Looks good. Corrected error in analization. Gauges are in original radio location.

Sounds like some good plans. Who makes the console? Do they do one for 70's? Yes to cupholders. If you leave the gauges where you have them you could use the flat spot on the console for a double-din unit with a backup camera. ECU in display in the console arm rest area. You can pull it out when you need to see it otherwise hide it.

Hello Grabber70Mach. LOL, I don't consider myself OCD. I just know what I like and how I want it LMAO. However, my wife would agree with you :D.

You and I are thinking alike. I was thinking of putting the stereo on the front part of the console because, you are correct, the Speedhut gauges are where the original stereo/radio went. I did "NOT" think about a double din with back up camera. That's a great idea.

I was thinking about placing the ECU hand held on the center part of the console so I could look down and see it or grab it if I need to make adjustments.

I will do some PowerPoint pictures to give different thoughts on how to set up my console and see what people think.

I found the console on ebay, but the guy is local to me. I went to his house to pick mine up, but not sure how or where he makes them. He does make them for several different cars, but not sure if a 70 Mustang is one. His screen name on Ebay is 5222jesse.

As always I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. Love the back up camera idea.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Oh..... One thing I forgot to mention.

I called my Borla rep last week Friday afternoon. He told me I'm second in line right now. Said, my induction system should be started this week. I'm going to call him on Thursday of this week to get another update :D:cool:…..

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Oh..... One thing I forgot to mention.

I called my Borla rep last week Friday afternoon. He told me I'm second in line right now. Said, my induction system should be started this week. I'm going to call him on Thursday of this week to get another update :D:cool:…..

Holy Crap! Talk about Karma.... My Borla rep just called me and said he received word that my complete induction system is being shipped via FedEx and it should go out this afternoon or first thing tomorrow morning.

Guess he meant I was second inline to get my order packed up LOL.

Hell Yeah!!!!

Last edited:

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
Holy Crap! Talk about Karma.... My Borla rep just called me and said he received word that my complete induction system is being shipped via FedEx and it should go out this afternoon or first thing tomorrow morning.

Guess he meant I was second inline to get my order packed up LOL.

Hell Yeah!!!!
Awesome.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I was watching TV last night and a commercial came on talking about my plates .com. It's a company that works with the TX DMV in creating specialty plates. They allow you to enter the text you want. Then you click the "check" button to see if your text is available or not. Then you can choose your plate design. They have all the basic stuff (i.e. outdoorsman, veteran, patriot, etc.).

So, I said what the hell and entered GT 427. What do you know it "WAS" available. I tell you my luck just keeps rolling.

So, I locked the plate in my name only since the car obviously is not registered yet. I put the plate on a lay away plan as I took the 5 year registration option to get the massive discount offered.

Now when I register the car this is the plate that will be on the car. I took this design as it was the closest to the 1965 TX plates.

SWEET!!!!!
20210125_190002.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay I made some crude PowerPoint pictures of different options for my console.

So, what say you guys? Which one do you like best or do you have a different idea or combination????

As of now this is my favorite option. Blue square is double din with back up camera. Orange square is the ECU hand held. The 3 buttons are for various things I'm installing (i.e. cut outs, line lock and E-brake). The two black circles are cup holders in center section of console in front of arm rest.
Console 1.jpg

Same as option one except the gauges are installed here and then the single din stereo will be moved to original location. No back up camera option here.
Console 2.jpg

This one is a little more basic. No stereo or back up camera. ECU hand held moved to front of console.
Console 3.jpg

This is the same as option one except buttons moved to front edge of arm rest. I like this, but I kind of have to reach to the side/behind me to press the buttons.
Console 4.jpg

Same as 4, but buttons moved to under the double din. I think this is out of the way when I want to release the line lock.
Console 5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread