Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Always best to wait and see how things work. Plus what he considers a driveability issue we might consider normal.

I agree with you 100% Bob. I had an upgraded cam in my 89GT when it was in first gear and basically rolling from a low RPM it would buck at times. I just learned how to deal with it and drive the car so it wouldn't do that. No problems once I learned the new set up. This is why I told the Borla tech I'll run it as is, see if I can find someone to tune it for me and go from there.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

Got home from work yesterday and you know the first thing I did was go to the garage. Going to try and mock this up this weekend. I don't have the flywheel or clutch yet, so I'm just going to install it to make sure it fits in the tunnel and to see how I can route the hydraulic clutch lines.

20210111_152753_resized.jpg

20210111_153822_resized.jpg

20210111_154609_resized.jpg

20210111_154620_resized.jpg

20210111_154729a_resized.jpg

SM94Cobra

Established Member
Congrats on the intake and progress. Really enjoy watching the progress made on this. I am running Fitech and it is the same thing with the vacuum on those as well. There were some work arounds to help drivability that some guys were making tweaks to, once the self learning had run for a bit. I am not 100% sure what those those were, as I don't have that issue on my set up, but I know guys have been able to work through it. Probably not perfect, but there are certainly ways to help it for sure.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Congrats on the intake and progress. Really enjoy watching the progress made on this. I am running Fitech and it is the same thing with the vacuum on those as well. There were some work arounds to help drivability that some guys were making tweaks to, once the self learning had run for a bit. I am not 100% sure what those those were, as I don't have that issue on my set up, but I know guys have been able to work through it. Probably not perfect, but there are certainly ways to help it for sure.

Thank you sir! When I first started this I contemplated doing the build and then posting up. That way there would be no wait from start to end. But, decided I wanted to share the journey.

Sweet SM94Cobra! That's great news to hear. I "can" live with some minor drivability issues if the car performs well at the higher RPM level or when I'm doing some spirited driving. This is "not" going to be my DD. So, I'm okay with some minor issues and dealing with work arounds.

As mentioned I can always change the cam if it comes to that, but I feel I'll be fine in the end. As Bob (01yellercobra) mentioned I can always find a way to make these two items work together.

Oh, and the Borla tech did mention that he has a friend who works at MSD (here in El Paso) and he may be able to put me in contact with him to see if they can help me tune the vehicle or send me to someone who can. Borla tech said he wants to make sure I'm happy with their product as I'm rolling advertisement for them. Good or bad LOL...…..

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
WOO HOO.... I just received some GREAT news...…

After talking to the Borla Tech yesterday I was a little nervous (obviously) and so I called my engine builder. He was busy and didn't get a chance to return my call yesterday.

I just got off the phone with him and he asked me what system I was getting with my induction set up. Once I told him it was the Holley Terminator set up he told me I will be FINE!. He said the cam in my motor is really not that bad. He said in my 347 it would be radical, but in a 427 it is not. He also said that he knows someone here in town that specifically runs Holley Terminators and he will put me in contact with him to get my car tuned once it's up and running. He said he believes the Holley Terminator is a "great" EFI management system.

SWEET! Seems like things keep falling in place for me after a little trial and error with this build LOL. Now, to be up front I did tell my engine builder what my plans where "BEFORE" the engine was built. So, he did know how to build the motor to deal with the parts I planned on buying.

Now, I feel much better and I'm looking forward to getting this thing running and tuned :D:D:D

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

LOL, I'm guessing it was either the Roush stack injected engine or the Terminator X control module :D.

Speaking if the Roush motor. I looked on Roush's website a few years ago and they have a 427R with stack injection. It was basically a fully loaded long block. They were asking $25,000 :eek:….. Granted I won't have A/C, but my engine will cost me half of that. Roush sure does love to charge for his name and engineering. Ask me how I know LMAO???

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

As soon as I got off work yesterday I wanted to install my hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. The day I unboxed my transmission I was trying to figure out how this thing went in. It has a backing plate and I was placing it on the front of the firewall and it didn't seem to fit. Well, that's because it goes on the back of the firewall LOL.

So, as you can see I figured it out and got it installed. I needed to remove my brake master cylinder to get this in. I like it over all. The only thing I don't like is it utilizes a standard black rubber hose to go from the reservoir to the slave cylinder. And it attaches with standard band clamps. I would rather have a steel braided hose using some form a -AN fitting. I'll see if I can get something a little better looking when it comes time for installation.

(Note: since I've been installing things and working in the engine bay some of the body work will need to be touched up. That's no problem as I planned on doing a final body work once all the mock up has been completed).

20210112_133226_resized.jpg

20210112_133236_resized.jpg

20210112_134131_resized.jpg

20210112_134142_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Also, last night my new valve covers arrived. So, I went into the garage and did a quick mock up. I installed the new valve covers, my breathers and the new master cylinder cover. I also placed my 427 emblems on the valve covers.

My goal is to get a 60's engine bay style, to a point.

So, here are the pictures so you guys can get an idea of the vision in my head LOL.

I really like the way it looks. Going to see my fabricator after work today to see about getting the 427 emblems mounted permanently.

What do you guys think????
20210112_172312a_resized.jpg

20210112_172437_resized.jpg

20210112_172357_resized.jpg

20210112_172416_resized.jpg

20210112_172345_resized.jpg

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Looking good. I like how everything matches between the valve covers and master cylinder.

If the slave cylinder has a removable fitting as as well then all you'll need is a couple NPT-AN adapters to run a braided line.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Looking good. I like how everything matches between the valve covers and master cylinder.

If the slave cylinder has a removable fitting as as well then all you'll need is a couple NPT-AN adapters to run a braided line.

Thanks Bob! Appreciate the feedback. The slave cylinder is built funny to me. It has a cap that goes on using an o ring and the cap has the hose barb on it. Not sure if there is something that can replace that piece. I'm sure I can find an NPT-AN adapter for the reservoir, but not sure what to do with the slave cylinder itself. Just yet....:D

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Liking the look, but think it may look a notch better with the MC and breather recesses painted black to match the valve covers.

Thank you Grabber! The issue right now is I'm not sure if the valve cover recesses will stay black. Once my fabricator gets ahold of them he may need to do some lathing or welding that might cause the black to get damaged. So, I will either remove the black or see what my powder coater can do. Instead of black it might look better body color or just keep them plain as the breathers and M/C cover are right now. Not sure yet as I need to see what they look like once I get them back from the fabricator.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Thanks Bob! Appreciate the feedback. The slave cylinder is built funny to me. It has a cap that goes on using an o ring and the cap has the hose barb on it. Not sure if there is something that can replace that piece. I'm sure I can find an NPT-AN adapter for the reservoir, but not sure what to do with the slave cylinder itself. Just yet....:D
Post a pic when you get a chance. That sounds like an ORB fitting.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

You can see the cap in the pictures above, but I'll post some better pictures of it this afternoon.

By the way. I think I have found that Wilwood makes a screw in cap with a -3AN fitting on it. It says it's for mini reservoirs, but it's listed in the brake section. However, their mini reservoirs look just like my hydraulic slave cylinder. So, I'll give it a shot and see if it fits my application.

This is what it looks like.
Wilwood adapter.JPG

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

Hello Bob. Per your request here is a better look at the slave cylinder/cap.

Here is the top of the slave cylinder. It is difficult to see, but the inside is threaded to accept a screw in reservoir or fitting.
20210113_170310_resized.jpg

Here you can see the O ring the cap gets pressed over when it is installed. You get a better look at the threads on the inside in this pic.
20210113_170317_resized.jpg

Here is the cap and a band clamp that goes around it to hold it in place once it is installed.
20210113_170448a_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread