Black Gold 380R's 1957 Thunderbird Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Such a beautiful car! Engine looks great dude.

Thank you for the kind words. While I had the heads being rebuilt I had the valley pan, intake manifold and some hardware powder coated. I recently bought a brand new carb, distributor cap, plug wires and some new shinny hardware too.

I'm hoping the polished valve covers and air cleaner hat will be the icing on the cake, so to speak LOL.

I can't wait to be able to drive it and see how it feels.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Hey Glenn, might have missed it, but how many miles on that thing? It that a solid lifter car? I assume the lift on all the valves was OK indicating no rounded lobes?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hey Glenn, might have missed it, but how many miles on that thing? It that a solid lifter car? I assume the lift on all the valves was OK indicating no rounded lobes?
Hello Brad. The odometer is reading just over 61K. The brake pedal does not look severely worn out. It could be 161K. When I took the heads off I seen some cross hatching on the cylinder walls. However, the pistons had the number 30 engraved on them. So, it could have been rebuilt and bored 30 over. But, the original factory pushrods were in there. So, I really would need to take a closer look.

Yes it is a solid lifter cam. I had to set the valve lash to .020. I don't think the cam lobes got rounded. The thin factory style pushrods looked like the weak point.

I believe everything is good. When I adjusted the valves they all appear to open the same amount. Also, when I run the car all valves move the same. No funny noises.

I have not been able to drive the car yet. So, it remains to be seen how much power it makes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well I have been on vacation for the past couple of weeks. My wife needed to go take care of some family issues, so I just stayed at home and chilled out.

Man, I cannot wait to retire. Getting up when you want, doing what you want and just not having to answer to anyone or deal with traffic is an amazing feeling LOL.

So, while on vacation I decided to work on the 57 a little more. The car seems to run hot according to the gauge. It does not boil over or anything, but you never know. When I took the heads off the block had a lot of crud in the cooling passages. So, I did flush it out several times.

Figured I had the time, might as well take care of it. So, new water pump, new thermostat, new upper and lower radiator hoses and took the radiator to a shop for a professional flush and seal.

So, got started removing everything
20230626_150124_resized.jpg

20230626_150138_resized.jpg

Here you can see how rusty the internals are. There's no blockage here, but smaller arears, like the radiator core, could be blocked.
20230626_150146_resized.jpg

20230626_165849_resized.jpg

Even after several flushes you can see the antifreeze still came out looking muddy. May have to flush it out a few more times. If you look at the left side of the radiator you can seen some white or calcium marks. Could be pin holes.
20230626_165858_resized.jpg

Trying to keep my parts and work area organized.
20230626_150240_resized.jpg

New water pump painted.
20230626_212925_resized.jpg

Water pump to timing cover spacer painted.
20230626_212932_resized.jpg

Coolant by pass cleaned up and painted.
20230626_212953_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
After I got the radiator back it was time for reassembly. Radiator guy said he found several pin holes and the core was good, but may be weak. He said he could have a new core built for it if I needed or wanted.

I said I would install it as he fixed it and if I still had problems I might have it re-cored.

20230627_160209_resized.jpg

20230627_160222_resized.jpg

20230627_160232_resized.jpg

20230630_124459_resized.jpg

I purchased original style radiator hose and clamps to match the originality of the car.
20230626_213005_resized.jpg

Still need to get the original style clamps for the heater and by pass hoses.
20230630_124521_resized.jpg

20230630_124513_resized.jpg

This is where I stopped taking pictures. I ended up getting it all back together and taking it for a test drive. My factory gauge still reads hot. So, I think the gauge itself is defective.

I checked the engine with a thermal temperature gun and it does read on the warmer side, but not hot. So, I think it needs to be flushed more and I will purchase an after market temperature gauge and see how that goes.

Vacation is over, but not this project LOL.

Stay tuned..........

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, I keep working on the 57 just about every weekend. I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on carburation and how it relates to timing (Have gotten too used to the computer taking care of all that LMAO).

Well, it seems I may have gotten it figured out. I removed my carburetor and gave it a base tune (i.e. configuration). Got my butterflies set properly, got my air/idle bleed screws set, made sure accelerator pump cam was set and my idle set screw properly adjusted. Then I set the carb back on the manifold.

I fired it up and used my timing light to dial in my timing and set my desired RPM. I also used my vacuum gauge to set my air/idle bleed screws to the highest level vacuum I could obtain. I also made sure my floats were set properly.

Car is running like a swiss watch now. Now when I put the car in gear the idle does not drop off like it used to. When I step on the go fast peddle the car moves out instead of stumbles. The car runs at a consistent 185 degrees.

I'm VERY happy with it now. Have a few more small bugs to work out (i.e. A/C and fuel gauge).

So, Saturday night I took it for a cruise. I went by the guys house who has the Texaco Station on his property. He happened to be home and told me to take all the pictures I wanted. This time it was in the evening and he had the Texaco Station all lit up. It was great.

I'm no professional, but here are some pictures I took. I'm thinking about having one made into a poster for mounting on my garage wall......

20230722_210421_resized.jpg

20230722_210545_resized.jpg

20230722_210603_resized.jpg

20230722_210631_resized.jpg

BTW, I was watching The Gumball Rally this past weekend. They showed a scene with a Texaco station and it had all the same colors and styling. Pretty cool.
Texaco.JPG

Texaco 02.JPG

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Great thread. I love the baby birds.
My mother has a 55 many moons ago. My father blew the engine at New England Dragway on the 80s.
haha

Thank you 98 svt! I didn't realize how many people actually hopped up these cars. I have my 65 when I want to get on it, so this one will stay stock.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Real nice car. How hard is it to take the top off?

Thank you!

I don't think it's too hard. I've never tried to remove it. The problem is my Dad has the straps/ratchet still attached to the ceiling in his garage. I need to get it and transfer it to my house so I can remove it myself and not need help or have to find a place to put it.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I just did some cropping on the second picture above.

I think this is the one I'm going to turn into a poster.....
Wallpaper 01.jpg

Past

Future LOL...

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

In going through this thread I just realized I never posted pictures of the engine after I completed the head installation and cooling system upgrades LOL.....

So, here ya go.... If I never mentioned it the engine is a Ford 312 Y-Block. Making this a D Code Thunderbird.
20230724_173954_resized.jpg

20230724_174010_resized.jpg

20230724_174029_resized.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just did some cropping on the second picture above.

I think this is the one I'm going to turn into a poster.....
View attachment 1802580
Great choice! That's going to make a really nice garage photo. The only thing missing is Suzanne Somers (I know yours is a '57)! Jump to :34.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Been doing some work on the T-Bird. My last 2 problems are the A/C and the Fuel gauge.

After doing some research I found that this car used R-12 and that has been band by the EPA. So, after looking at everything/all my options I just decided to get rid of this system and buy a new one from vintage air. I'll do that next year.

I then looked at the fuel gauge. I removed the sending unit from the gas tank. Come to find out the float had massive cracks and had filled with fuel and sunk causing the fuel gauge to constantly display "Empty." Ordered a new float. So, that should be fixed by next weekend.

After getting those problems situated I decided to give the car a paint correction. White cars hide imperfections very well, but this car needed some attention. So, I got to work on that........

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay,

Here are some pictures on the paint correction.

As mentioned white hides imperfection. However, if you look close inside the circle you will see some grayish lines. Those are minor scratches that needed to be buffed out. Car had several areas like this.
20230729_110529_resized a.jpg

I removed some emblems to clean behind them effectively.
Before:
20230730_114323_resized.jpg

After:
20230730_120726_resized.jpg

Passenger side looking good now.
20230729_135144_resized.jpg

Pretty good reflection for white.....
20230729_135159_resized.jpg

Man, I really like this shot.
20230730_112256_resized.jpg

Pretty cool seeing my 65 in the reflection LOL.
20230730_112354_resized.jpg

20230730_112319_resized.jpg

Here is the hood. I took a selfie of my ugly mug LMAO!!!
20230729_135245_resized.jpg

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Hello Everyone,

Been doing some work on the T-Bird. My last 2 problems are the A/C and the Fuel gauge.

After doing some research I found that this car used R-12 and that has been band by the EPA. So, after looking at everything/all my options I just decided to get rid of this system and by a new one from vintage air. I'll do that next year.

I then looked at the fuel gauge. I removed the sending unit from the gas tank. Come to find out the float had massive cracks and had filled with fuel and sunk causing the fuel gauge to constantly display "Empty." Ordered a new float. So, that should be fixed by next weekend.

After getting those problems situated I decided to give the car a paint correction. Whit cars hide imperfections very well, but this car needed some attention. So, I got to work on that........

Glenn, stunning car!

Would ethanol added to todays fuel played a part in sinking the float?

Are there any other fuel system components you need to be mindful of because of ethanol, or were they previously addressed?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I have also been working on the white walls.

Purchased this stuff called brown buster.

Not advocating, but showing what I purchased/used:

You have to remove the wheels and lay them flat in direct sunlight. Instructions say 70 degrees or hotter weather. You have to clean the tires to remove any tire dressing or residue.

Then you brush brown buster on the white wall. You let it sit in direct sunlight for 10 minuets to kind of bake in. Then wipe off and reply. Do this 4 times. After the 4th time you let the tire sit in the sun for another hour.

Then you set the tire in a cool place. Once the tire cools off and the rubber starts to contract the brown buster is supposed to "push" out any remaining dirt.

This is my result.
20230729_135207_resized.jpg

This is BEFORE:
20230719_094922_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Glenn, stunning car!

Would ethanol added to todays fuel played a part in sinking the float?

Are there any other fuel system components you need to be mindful of because of ethanol, or were they previously addressed?

Thank you Lambeau! Greatly appreciate your comment.

You know I never thought about that. I know the one that was in there was brass, but it was very brittle when I was handlining it. Not to the point where it was disintegrating, but the metal felt very weak and flimsy.

I already ordered a brass replacement. I did look for a plastic one, but the Thunderbird place I buy from didn't have one listed. I'll look into this a little further.

If this new brass one goes bad again it's no big deal as getting to the sending unit on this T-Bird is VERY easy.

I have addressed the fuel system. I replaced the carburetor, rebuilt the fuel pump, replaced the rubber fuel line in the engine compartment, replaced the fuel filter with a Wix and when I had the heads rebuilt I asked my builder to install hardened seats so I could run unleaded fuel.

With the old heads my dad would pour in a leaded fuel additive.

So, hopefully I don't have any issues. The line from the tank to the fuel pump is a hard line. So, it should hold up.

Thanks for asking. Made me aware of a potential problem.....

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay Everyone,

The work continues on the T-Bird. As we always say... Are they ever really done? LOL.

I got a lot accomplished this weekend. Since I identified the problem with the A/C and came up with my solution to fix it, it's going to take a little time before I can buy a complete new kit.

So, I got to work on the float for the fuel sending unit.

My brother called me while I was doing this so I didn't take a lot of pictures of the sending unit repair process.

Here you can see the old float and how badly cracked it is.
20230805_085815_resized.jpg

The sending unit itself was still good. I just needed to add the new plastic float.
20230805_085742_resized.jpg

Sending unit reinstalled.
20230805_085719_resized.jpg

Access door installed.
20230805_093108_resized.jpg

Trunk put back together.
20230805_093956_resized.jpg

BEFORE....
20230805_102841_resized.jpg

AFTER... Sweet!!! Love when things work as they should.
20230805_103131_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread