Black farmer's to recieve $1.2 billion

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
Black farmers: Government to fund racial bias settlement - CNN.com

I don't really have a big problem with giving the association money but not now during this economy. kind of tired of the race card also

"diverstiy" isnt so diverse is it?
im going to establish WHITE HISTORY MONTH....to celebrate with me during this month, which will be December of course (white Christmas...get it) you have to drive a white car, have at least 10 white shirts, have a white wife, have a white house with a white picket fence and have a white dog or cat.......ummm i just thought about it and i need to get 8 white t-shirts but the guy at the clothing store is from Korea, i need to buy a white car but the salesman is black, i need to paint my house white and build a picket fence, but i dont have time so my neighbor Pedro, who is a general contractor will have to do that for me, ill have to go see the Thai girl that works at the humane society to get a white pet...BUT my wife is already white....wheeew. ok after that then i can have my month. whos with me?! im just being ironic......i really cant waste all day being pissed off about something i cannot change......i think it sucks but things are the way they are.......and i feel pretty darn clever right about now.....:beer: im out

Sap

Established Member
The judge looked at the facts and decided that there was discrimination, end of story.

The black community feels that white people are responsible for their plight and to be honest, its stories like this that make it hard to dispute the idea.

Blatantly denying loans based off color is about a clear cut case of discrimination as possible, not sure what those idiots were thinking.

Eventually these practices will end, however I doubt it will be in my lifetime.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Hope and Change! I bet that number is just as inflated as the number or living registered voter cards filled out by ACORN. Help all farmers, not just black ones.

This case seems to have been decided based on the fact that black farmers were pretty much the only ones not being helped, thus why they are receiving special compensation.

Works for me, the race card gets old but this one may be legitimate.

tistan

Established Member
USDA defines a farm as any operation that sells at least one thousand dollars of agricultural commodities or that would have sold that amount of produce under normal circumstances.

$1,000 of ag commodities is nothing.

There are still many black farmers in the south, and those same farmers have historically been shafted by USDA policies causing them to lose their farms. If the same policies had been prejudicial to white farmers, they they should receive the same payments, but white farmers typically had no problems with their loans being processed quickly.

You are right. There are a bunch of black farmers in the south. Where do you guys think you get your watermelons.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
This case seems to have been decided based on the fact that black farmers were pretty much the only ones not being helped, thus why they are receiving special compensation.

Works for me, the race card gets old but this one may be legitimate.

If thats really the case then so be it i guess. I am not a fan of any payment of reparations. In reality, i can see a greater use of that 1.2 billion going to fund seed or fertilizer purchases for all farmers. Oh well. No sense bitching, youll just get labeled a racist or a republican. :nonono:

Sapperstang

Established Member
They were talking about this on the radio yesterday. In all of the examples I heard I don't see where race was the reason they didn't get what they wanted. It seemed from waht I heard that they didn't have their stuff together or didn't meet the requirements.

txyaloo

Established Member
I believe they should get there money, just not now in this economy

Then when? The Farm Bill is only renewed every 5-7 years. This Farm Bill still hasn't passed and will be debated for quite a while still. If they don't get it in this FB, you want them to wait another 7 years when it may not be included in that FB?

I'm amazed at how little people know about AG in this country.

rust0r

Established Member
Anything that distinguishes based on race is racist in my honest opinion. I don't even care if you call the ambulance "amberlamps", the point is if you need something it shouldn't matter what color your skin is.

I love how anything that helps ONLY white people is racist. But any benefit thats pointed at any other specific race is considered justified and righteous...

DING DING DING!

If $1.2B went to white farmers, Jessie Jackson would be on TV and all of his "people" would be up in arms crying racism. As a result that it is going to black farmers; I am confident that they just look at it as "gett'n theirs after alls these years"

*Note; when I refer to "black people" complaining, it is only in reference to the individuals that actually call "racist" to every white mans motion; not black people as a race/individuals* :

What black people don't understand is that most white people; at face value, have no problem with them getting an extra hand. The reason why most of us get angry in a situation like this is because of stirrup that we know the "black people" would generate if the situation was reversed and it was ONLY white farmers getting something.

If black farmers need the help, great, give it to them; but when white farmers need a little boost next year, shut the hell up.

I am at a loss as to how so many of these people are lifetime members of the "anytime white people get something we don't, it's racist" club; and fail to see that the way they view white vs black interaction is RACIST in it's most basic form.

Perhaps they need some education in what the word "racist" actually means

An white individual who walks into a store and calls every black person in there a derogatory name based on their skin color is a racist. A member of the KKK is a racist. Someone that goes around beating up black people, yup you guessed it, he is a racist!

However, a white cop who arrests a group of 4 black teenage boys for gang raping a white girl is not a racist; he is doing his job.

These organizations that fight for black rights would have much more respect with the rest of the nation if they didn't come to defend EVERY black person that is ever accused of a crime on the basis that the charges are derived from a racist intent.

txyaloo

Established Member
If $1.2B went to white farmers, Jessie Jackson would be on TV and all of his "people" would be up in arms crying racism. As a result that it is going to black farmers; I am confident that they just look at it as "gett'n theirs after alls these years"

If black farmers need the help, great, give it to them; but when white farmers need a little boost next year, shut the hell up.

Yet another person that doesn't understand how production AG works in the US. You have absolutely no idea how much government subsidies go to ALL farmers. The 2008 Farm Bill authorized over $230 billion in spending for various USDA programs. The 2010/2012 bill will authorize more than that. $1.2 billion is a drop in the bucket, and it money authorized for those farmers in years past that they were not able to receive for various reasons.

Nearly every farmer, black, while, yellow, red, whatever, is able to obtain to certain benefits from the government. These are in the form of marketing loans, non-recourse marketing loans, LDP's, direct payments, CCP's, DCP's, and all kinds of other crap. These benefits are usually processed in a somewhat timely manner since getting crops in the ground must be done at a certain time of the year. These aren't "little boosts". These benefits can be several hundred thousand dollars depending on the size of the operation, how many owners there are, etc, and up until the last farm bill, many farmers had multiple "operations" so they could milk the government for even more money.

For black farmers, these payments weren't being processed in a timely manner. It had nothing to do with anything other than them being black. The paperwork was done correct and sent in on time, yet things were delayed due to them being black. When white farmers are getting their benefits on time and black farmers aren't, something is up.

Call racism all you want, but we need to support production AG in America no matter what color the farmer is, and it's straight bull shit that the USDA could cause someone to lose their farm because they won't process the paperwork in a timely manner due to skin color whether white or black.

How about some of you yahoos go read up on the farm bill, how it works, what benefits are available to farmers, and the process for applying for those benefits before spouting off like you're informed on a subject.

rust0r

Established Member
Yet another person that doesn't understand how production AG works in the US. You have absolutely no idea how much government subsidies go to ALL farmers. The 2008 Farm Bill authorized over $230 billion in spending for various USDA programs. The 2010/2012 bill will authorize more than that. $1.2 billion is a drop in the bucket, and it money authorized for those farmers in years past that they were not able to receive for various reasons.

Nearly every farmer, black, while, yellow, red, whatever, is able to obtain to certain benefits from the government. These are in the form of marketing loans, non-recourse marketing loans, LDP's, direct payments, CCP's, DCP's, and all kinds of other crap. These benefits are usually processed in a somewhat timely manner since getting crops in the ground must be done at a certain time of the year. These aren't "little boosts". These benefits can be several hundred thousand dollars depending on the size of the operation, how many owners there are, etc, and up until the last farm bill, many farmers had multiple "operations" so they could milk the government for even more money.

For black farmers, these payments weren't being processed in a timely manner. It had nothing to do with anything other than them being black. The paperwork was done correct and sent in on time, yet things were delayed due to them being black. When white farmers are getting their benefits on time and black farmers aren't, something is up.

Call racism all you want, but we need to support production AG in America no matter what color the farmer is, and it's straight bull shit that the USDA could cause someone to lose their farm because they won't process the paperwork in a timely manner due to skin color whether white or black.

How about some of you yahoos go read up on the farm bill, how it works, what benefits are available to farmers, and the process for applying for those benefits before spouting off like you're informed on a subject.

I will admit that I am obviously not as informed on the subject as you are, and it is not initially what I thought it was when I read the title/bit of the article. I guess it just goes to show that those "black power" groups tend to do so much unjust complaining that when there is an actual issue at hand, many people tend to jump to conclusions (as 90% of the posters, including myself, have done in this thread)

Based on what I've been reading this afternoon about the situation, this is an ADDITION to the money that was handed out in 1999/2000 from the original settlement to allow farmers who FAILED to file their applications in time, to claim money they were entitled to?

At this point, it shouldn't be an issue of "racial bias"; it seems that they are upset that they missed the deadline (apparently a result of their own fault). Seeing the signs they are holding at the rally leads me to believe that they are still holding onto the racist issue from 10+ years ago, and are failing to see that they messed up by missing the deadline and are being granted an extension/exception.

Again txyaloo, if I am misinformed on this please let me know, I've tried to do some reading on the situation over the past bit in response to your post.

Thank you

txyaloo

Established Member
I will admit that I am obviously not as informed on the subject as you are, and it is not initially what I thought it was when I read the title/bit of the article. I guess it just goes to show that those "black power" groups tend to do so much unjust complaining that when there is an actual issue at hand, many people tend to jump to conclusions (as 90% of the posters, including myself, have done in this thread)

Based on what I've been reading this afternoon about the situation, this is an ADDITION to the money that was handed out in 1999/2000 from the original settlement to allow farmers who FAILED to file their applications in time, to claim money they were entitled to?

At this point, it shouldn't be an issue of "racial bias"; it seems that they are upset that they missed the deadline (apparently a result of their own fault). Seeing the signs they are holding at the rally leads me to believe that they are still holding onto the racist issue from 10+ years ago, and are failing to see that they messed up by missing the deadline and are being granted an extension/exception.

Again txyaloo, if I am misinformed on this please let me know, I've tried to do some reading on the situation over the past bit in response to your post.

Thank you

The US farm bill is an interesting piece of legislation with many parts to it. It supports a lot of programs and has to be passed within a certain time period or it reverts to policies and programs set in place in 1948. After Congress signs the bill, they then have to appropriate the money to pay for the programs. The government approves tons of programs in the FB, but quite often there isn't money to support them.

You are correct. This money is a continuation of claims from 1999 for farmers that did not meet the deadline. On normal programs the USDA is horrible about informing people. I can imagine this settlement was just as bad or worse. One quote I've seen said:

"The USDA did not effectively notify the farmers that there was a settlement, or where farmers could file their complaints. Farmers who didn’t have telephones or indoor bathrooms were told to go online for more information about the settlement."

This is par for the course for the USDA. Only around 16,000 claims were paid in 1999 with over 75,000 claims outstanding that may have missed the deadline.

The 2008 FB was a cluster **** and took forever to pass. The 2002 bill had to be extended several times so programs didn't revert back to 1948 levels. Due to the delays, only $100 million for additional claims to pay black farmers that were discriminated against was budgeted, but that wasn't enough to pay all of the claims.

I'm a strong proponent of agriculture. I'm not in favor of reparations for former slaves or any other "black power" type movement. The USDA pulled the same crap with Hispanics, Native Americans, and Asians and is currently being sued by those groups. Sec. Vilsack has admitted to USDA's past discrimination against non-white farmers. This money is really just a drop in the bucket to the government.

I don't know whether most of these claims actually stem from FSA/USDA reps being racist or whether it'd due to other bureaucratic bull shit that cause them to get their loan payments late or not at all. I'm sure some of the racism claims will be false, and some farmers will get money that they don't deserve, but it's like that with every USDA program. Most farmers aren't as stupid as people think. Farming is big business, and farmers know how to work the system. The way USDA determines whether someone was a victim of racial discrimination needs to be redefined to make sure people that were truly discriminated against get the money and others don't.

IMO - this is a good read that isn't really slanted one way or the other.

USDA's settlement with black farmers

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Any program whether governmental or private sector that determines how it will be doing business based on race is inherently racist.

Users who are viewing this thread