Birminham (AL) police beat unconscious suspect caught on video

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Birmingham police beating video: Five officers fired - Breaking News from The Birmingham News - al.com

"Five Birmingham police officers have been fired for a January 2008 beating of an already-unconscious suspect with fists, feet and a billy club, a battering caught on videotape until a police officer turned off the patrol car camera, city and police officials said today."

"Police Chief A.C. Roper called the video "shameful." Mayor Larry Langford said it was "disgusting."

Roper said the video shamed the police department and the citizens served by the department, saying it was especially troubling because these were seasoned, veteran officers.

Roper hasn't identified the officers. Four of them worked in the department's Vice and Narcotics Unit; the fifth was a North Precinct patrolman.

The officers have the right to appeal to the Jefferson County Personnel Board.

"We've terminated over 50 years of combined service due to 10 seconds of injustice," Roper said in an interview with The Birmingham News. "We have five officers who lost their jobs and may face criminal charges, and a suspect who suffered unnecessarily."

Sorry guys I couldn't figure out how to post a video. If someone tells me, I can edit but otherwise you'll have to follow the link above.

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member
That guy was trying to kill police officers by running them over, the world would be a better place without scum like that. Sure they over-reacted but how would you act if you saw that man endangering the lives of your fellow officers.

Last edited:

03ftwvenom

Established Member
F that I think the cops deserve to get a couple of shots on that dude for endangering other people and hitting or almost hitting the cop putting down the spikes.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Yeah I can certainly understand their emotions getting the better of them after that chase and almost running over the officer with the road spikes.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Wow, it happened so fast, maybe the cops saw his hands moving, felt threatened and needed to subdue the suspect. Without being there at the scene it's hard to tell if the level of force used by the police was justified or not; video can't lie, but it doesn't always show the whole story...

If I was one of the LEO's that was fired because of this video I'd challenge the decision in court and with a jury trial.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Wow, it happened so fast, maybe the cops saw his hands moving, felt threatened and needed to subdue the suspect. Without being there at the scene it's hard to tell if the level of force used by the police was justified or not; video can't lie, but it doesn't always show the whole story...

If I was one of the LEO's that was fired because of this video I'd challenge the decision in court and with a jury trial.

It was even more incriminating when the one officer ran back to his cruiser and shot off the video camera once he saw what was happening. He obviously wasn't caught up in emotion to the point where he could think clearly enough to try to cover their butts.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Its going to go both ways here as far as what some of you think. Without a doubt emotion was the biggest factor here. This scroat literally tried to run over another officer.That outcome would have been tragic most likely. LEO are tight knit guys/gals and we only have each other to watch our backs. So for those who disagree,what would you do if one of your best buds got sucker punched or jumped??Stand there?Nah. Then take it to this level,how do you feel now,sitting behind a computer screen?
I didnt see why they were chasing,but either way once he ran it was a felony,trying to run over the officer another felony[ADW on Gov,t official]
This is not about police brutality,imo its about getting in a rage someone almost ran over or killed a friend

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Agreed on the judges and jury..but that is presenting a case in a controlled environment long after the incident. Cops are not robots, we react.Because of the higher level we are held to, there will always be those that agree and disagree.
We watch the vid and disect it. Completely different if you were driving one of the cars that was passed,or your family being caught up in it.
Point is,we only see what is presented.Nothing before. So its natural to say the cops were out of line and abused the guy

jf4boogie

Established Member
I watched the whole video (20 min chase). Its a miracle he didnt kill innocent people during the chase. I say he got off easy...

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
I say that sonufabitch in the van got what he deserved. The officer that had out the stingers during the end of the chase was literally inches away from death. People like the suspect in this video need to be publicly executed.

PatsFan

That guy
Established Member
im gonna have to side with the officers here, i would have done the same thing if i was in their shoes.

supercarkiller

griggsg40svt
Established Member
i agree what he did wasnt right and he will pay for it in court. however, iam so sick of watching them do this shit too people though.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
While I'll usually be one of the first to condemn a cop if he abuses his authority, I'd have to make an exception in this case, especially after watching the whole video.

What the cops did was WRONG! They should've waited until the perp regained consciousness before beating him to make absolutely sure he really felt the pain.

That spike strip cop was lucky. Damn!

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
What's funny is, there are quite a few situations we've seen on these boards where an abusive officer should have been fired, but not only wasn't, but his department ends up mucking the issue on his behalf.

And then here's a situation that's COMPLETELY understandable--where some additional "training" with or without suspension would have sufficed, and their department fires them.

305HPCobra

Currently Carless.
Established Member
Cop or no cop, I don't see myself beating someone repeatedly after I see them get ejected from a flipping vehicle.

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
If he tried to run over a fellow officer...and it looks like he actually did clip that cop...

I'd beat the living shit out of that guy. No respect for a cops life...I have no respect for his.

Users who are viewing this thread