Bilstein Drag series shocks and struts

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Pretty sure the 99-04 plates are all the same. The different in MM kits is one comes with bump stops (V6/GT) and one comes with altered dust boots (Bilstein/Cobra). I think the shaft diameter is the same or you'd be required to have CC to buy Bilsteins. Plus I'm pretty sure I used the factory GT nut to hold my Bilsteins in place during assembly so I didn't ruin the Nylock.

Last edited:

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
I have a brand new set of Viking double adjustable coilovers forsale if anyone is interested. They bolt right in and are a true coilover.

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
Pretty sure the 99-04 plates are all the same. The different in MM kits is one comes with bump stops (V6/GT) and one comes with altered dust boots (Bilstein/Cobra). I think the shaft diameter is the same or you'd be required to have CC to buy Bilsteins. Plus I'm pretty sure I used the factory GT nut to hold my Bilsteins in place during assembly so I didn't ruin the Nylock.

I just checked MM's website (don't ask why I didn't before), but you are right. The only difference is one kit comes with the boot (for the cobra) and the other comes with a bumpstop for use if you don't use MM struts or Bilstein. Don't know why I thought diameters maybe different...

One more thing, anybody use coilovers with the drag struts? If so what spring rate?

03Steve

Established Member
Just used these at the track for the first time and wow am I impressed!! The valving is a perfect balance for both street and strip. I've put several hundred miles on the road with them and they are wonderful.

03Steve

Established Member
Summit Racing has them. Google these:

35-221449
24-229258
24-221450

These Bilstein drag race series shocks are specifically designed for cars that aren't towed to the strip, but are driven there on the street. They feature Bilstein's famous monotube gas pressure construction--their gas pressure preload increases launch control and grip for improved consistency. Their self-adjusting deflective disc valving design instantly adjusts to the shaft speed of the shocks for better down track stability. The Bilstein drag race series shocks offer a unique balance that allows the vehicle to perform at an extremely competitive level on the strip, while offering the comfort and control expected of a daily driver.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Just used these at the track for the first time and wow am I impressed!! The valving is a perfect balance for both street and strip. I've put several hundred miles on the road with them and they are wonderful.

Did you have have 60' improvements? Do you know if these are the same diameter as the factory ones? got a coilover kit but i didnt know if they would convert

pipejob1

Established Member
Would you say these are better then Strange or lakewood. Do you feel you don't need them to be adjustable to help you dial in.

pipejob1

Established Member
Why is the 35-221449 $220 says from 1987-2004 and the 24-221450 $85 says 1987-1993 whats the difference

03Steve

Established Member
Did you have have 60' improvements? Do you know if these are the same diameter as the factory ones? got a coilover kit but i didnt know if they would convert

I switched struts, shocks, tires, went to the track on different nights, and had my brother in law line me up. Definitely more than one change. The car worked great though with how it was set up (video below).

There may be dimensional drawings the Bilstein shares. I would have a look around at bilstein.us.

[video=youtube;1GN499Tn8es]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GN499Tn8es[/video]

03Steve

Established Member
Would you say these are better then Strange or lakewood. Do you feel you don't need them to be adjustable to help you dial in.

I have had Strange on two cars. Bilsteins are quieter on the street. My old roomie had Lakewood 90/10s. They were quiet on the street, but were very very soft in turns. I've also had Tokicos RB3026 drag struts and factory 03 Cobra Bilsteins. The drag series Bilsteins have been the best balance of performance, zero noise, and streetability of any package I have tried to date.

Why is the 35-221449 $220 says from 1987-2004 and the 24-221450 $85 says 1987-1993 whats the difference

The struts are more expensive than the shocks. The struts are universal fit for 1987-2004, where the shocks are different length for fox vs SN & New Edge.

Last edited by a moderator:

pipejob1

Established Member
35-221449 shows front strut 1987-2004 $220. 24-221450 show front strut 1987-1993 $85. These are just a replacement strut not there drag strut I call bilstien 24-229258 show rear shocks 1987-2004 $85

Last edited:

03Steve

Established Member
I am running 2000 Mustang GT springs with isolators, factory foxbody a-arms with stock bushings, and a PA Racing k-member with stock spring perches.

Car is a full auto valvebody controlled by a 2004 Mustang GT PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread