Billet Steel vs. Aluminum Flywheel

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So how much of a power loss would we be talking with the steel? I bought one and haven't installed it yet and am wondering if I made a mistake.

If you are an avid drag racer looking for the lowest 60 foot time and ET, then it's probably not a mistake, or a least not a severe one.

If you aren't one of those kinda guys.. then IMHO.. yeah you kinda did.

No way to really predict the HP loss, just that there will be some lost as an absolute certainty.
What does it actually weigh?

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
The fidzana weighs 3#s less then the stock one at that. From 15 to 12 is a decent amount.

Hmmmm, I recorded 11 lbs for the stock flywheel :??: :shrug:

......then again 11, 12 or 15 lbs. not enough to make me worry. A 28 lbs flywheel would make for a nice stable Lazy Susan with a high inertia rate.

SlowSVT

Established Member
So how much of a power loss would we be talking with the steel? I bought one and haven't installed it yet and am wondering if I made a mistake.

There are a few factors involved to determine the power loss (weight, mass relative to rotation center and the rate of acceleration (higher the more power loss).

I would venture to say you would see the loss (or gain) on a dyno between a stock Terminator flywheel and a 30 lb flywheel. Wouldn’t surprise me if the difference was between 30-40 hp (during rpm run-up only).

I have Centerforce LMC (Light Metal Clutch) PP which employs an aluminum backing plate rather then steel and is 5 lbs lighter.

Just say "NO" to rotating mass!

Digital

Established Member
Hmmmm, I recorded 11 lbs for the stock flywheel :??: :shrug:

......then again 11, 12 or 15 lbs. not enough to make me worry. A 28 lbs flywheel would make for a nice stable Lazy Susan with a high inertia rate.

I thought it was 15 but I really never took the time to drop it on a scale. someone must do it now!

cobra=trouble

Established Member
GOOD CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went steel recently and the driveability is night an day(in my case)no more bucking
I can put it in 1st and just idle along smoothly with out the herky jerky ness
for street car steel is the way to go
just what i needed to know , by the way to gears are you running ?

herky jerky that's what i did have with the 3.55s but with the 3.73s it helped it alot.

was thinking of going 3.27s i don't drag race .but that will be really bad with my stock F/W . so i'am wondering how 3.27s will do with a steel F/W IN STOP AND GO TRAFFIC ?

i do like the quick rev of the alum one

stal94gt

Established Member
Tough but possible.
Better to replace the replaceable steel insert friction plate which is available from McLeod.

Back in the day road racers would pay big bucks to put an aluminum flywheel in.
Ours comes with one! Won't catch me putting a steel one in mine.
The steel's advantage is inertia and getting 60 foot times down for drag racers, no question it kills power though, as does huge diameter heavy wheels.

do you know any sites where i can pick up a replacement friction plate ring?

stal94gt

Established Member
i did a little digging around and rumor has it you cant remove the stock friction plate ring on the stock flywheel. would you be able to put that rumor to rest?

SlowSVT

Established Member
just what i needed to know , by the way to gears are you running ?

herky jerky that's what i did have with the 3.55s but with the 3.73s it helped it alot.

was thinking of going 3.27s i don't drag race .but that will be really bad with my stock F/W . so i'am wondering how 3.27s will do with a steel F/W IN STOP AND GO TRAFFIC ?

i do like the quick rev of the alum one

Are you sure you want to go this route? This car has soo much "gear" to begin with. 3.27's will put you around 2500 rpm at 80 mph which may "load" the bearing up too much. 3.55's are a great ratio for the street.

As stated, a heavy flywheel to be a drag on the engine. It will make for smoother starts but that's about it.

Hows the Boss build coming along? I put a hold on mine until I secure a new position to preserve cash until that happens (hopefully any day now).

Russ :beer:

stal94gt

Established Member
False for sure!
It is replaceable, the replacement will be beyond your typical driveway mechanic's skills however.

i wouldnt say im a drive way machanic, i was just stating what i have heard from others. i imagine the oem plate is probably held on with rivets, so people say it cant be replaced

SlowSVT

Established Member
i wouldnt say im a drive way machanic, i was just stating what i have heard from others. i imagine the oem plate is probably held on with rivets, so people say it cant be replaced

:idea:

Let me see if I got this one straight.

You wouldn't say you were a "drive way mechanic"

You have heard from others

You imagine the OEM plate is probably held on by rivets

........so it can't be replaced!

:dw:

Now I know what they mean when they say: you can't have the word "F l o r i d a" without the word "da"! :nonono:

I can't even begin to comprehend what point you are trying to convey :shrug:

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
:idea:

Let me see if I got this one straight.

You wouldn't say you were a "drive way mechanic"

You have heard from others

You imagine the OEM plate is probably held on by rivets

........so it can't be replaced!

:dw:

Now I know what they mean when they say: you can't have the word "F l o r i d a" without the word "da"! :nonono:

I can't even begin to comprehend what point you are trying to convey :shrug:

lol. He prolly has a SRA too. Burning your ass so bad! lol <3

Users who are viewing this thread