Billet Steel vs. Aluminum Flywheel

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
GOOD CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went steel recently and the driveability is night an day(in my case)no more bucking
I can put it in 1st and just idle along smoothly with out the herky jerky ness
for street car steel is the way to go

trmin8ter03

Established Member
I also went with the steel. Youll loose a bit a horsepower(nothing youll feel) cause of the higher rotating mass and the motor wont rev as fast but youll love life when your going from light to light.

Othic

Established Member
I have a RAM Powergrip clutch and steel flywheel. I didnt feel a big difference from the stock flywheel to steel. I think the clutch is a little harder to push in. My knee is starting to give lol

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
anymore advice on this? Is there a good package out there? With the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate TOB etc?

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
I did Mcleod everything Steel flywheel,RST clutch,adj TOB,adj cable,steel retainer sleeve,Quadrant,Firewall adj,adj pivot ball
so far I love the this set up and to top it off Mcleod has awesome customer service

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
well then that sounds like a good package. What is this adj TOB? I didn't know you could adjust a throw out bearing? Also an adjustable pivot ball? Which steel retainer did you go with?

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would choose a lighter flywheel over a heavier one. Accelerating the mass of the flywheel soaks up a lot of hp. The only advantage of a heavy flywheel is getting the car to move from a stop. Once it locks with the clutch all the energy stored in the flywheel is expended and it will be nothing more then a drag on the engine every time you press the accelerator. The Terminator has an over abundance of low end. The heavy flywheel will make it easier getting the car to move from a stop but that is its only real advantage.

The stock flywheel only weighs 11 lbs :banana:

moonltgold

I would choose a lighter flywheel over a heavier one. Accelerating the mass of the flywheel soaks up a lot of hp. The only advantage of a heavy flywheel is getting the car to move from a stop. Once it locks with the clutch all the energy stored in the flywheel is expended and it will be nothing more then a drag on the engine every time you press the accelerator. The Terminator has an over abundance of low end. The heavy flywheel will make it easier getting the car to move from a stop but that is its only real advantage.

The stock flywheel only weighs 11 lbs :banana:

well said.

SlowSVT

Established Member
isnt the stock flywheel aluminum? why wouldn't u just stick with that?

Actually calling the factory unit a "flywheel" is a bit of a stretch. To me it more of a "ring gear support/clutch friction surface". Hell, It's only 5 lbs heavier then the harmonic balancer :-D

Yes, It's aluminum. It will wick heat off the clutch and cool faster as well.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
well I will have to see what I have in there, can you turn an aluminum flywheel?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
well I will have to see what I have in there, can you turn an aluminum flywheel?

Tough but possible.
Better to replace the replaceable steel insert friction plate which is available from McLeod.

Back in the day road racers would pay big bucks to put an aluminum flywheel in.
Ours comes with one! Won't catch me putting a steel one in mine.
The steel's advantage is inertia and getting 60 foot times down for drag racers, no question it kills power though, as does huge diameter heavy wheels.

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
The fidzana weighs 3#s less then the stock one at that. From 15 to 12 is a decent amount.

gargstang

Established Member
So how much of a power loss would we be talking with the steel? I bought one and haven't installed it yet and am wondering if I made a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread