Big Power in MD Heat

Quick Strike

Established Member
I drove my new combination on a four hour trip to HorsePower by Herman yesterday and wore a smile all the way back! It was 101* in the shop yesterday and I have a catted exhaust system. It was using 93 octane fuel with some Torco added. I was not thinking it was a day for big power. There was no ice involved, and Herman even warmed it up pretty well before mashing it. Here is my reward for going green:

Cobra%20100901%20Dyno%201%20%28Small%29.jpg

Yes, an unbelievable 741 horsepower and 646 foot pounds on pump gas in the sweltering heat, and the fuel pumps were only at 65% with stock fuel rails and lines.

Here is a clip of the car on the first pull at 707 HP. It was still very rich at that point, but it did have enough power to get the better part of my tire rental fee - sorry Herman. Here is a short clip of what was happening to the tires as they were howling on the dyno (again, sorry Herman), and below is a picture of Herman hard at work on the what now is a pump gas beast:

Cobra%20100901%20Herman.jpg

I can not thank Herman and his crew enough. We made the best of one hot day in MD. It could make the 800 hp mark when the engine is a little looser and the weather is cooler. Stay tuned for possible updates in the late fall. Hats off to Herman!

Last edited:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
What a tune!! That A/f is dead flat, right from Tip-in through 6500 Rpm's. The Boost also stays steady right through Red-line...Very impressive numbers, and tune. That car must be a Beast, Enjoy!!!

TRBO VNM

nice numbers. what do you mean, going green? I figured you meant e85, but you said 93 and torco?

Teej281

Established Member
Dude those numbers are awesome!!! I wanna be close to that with my 2v GT when I build it with a kb 2.6 with e85.

Quick Strike

Established Member
nice numbers. what do you mean, going green? I figured you meant e85, but you said 93 and torco?

No, I meant going green (doing my part for the environment) by keeping functional cats and not using leaded fuel. It was tuned on Torco and 93 octane from the convenience store. Thanks to all for the comments. It blows my autocross tires (Falken 615s) off in first, second and third. Fourth holds from a low rpm hit, and then it just pulls like nothing I have ever driven. I just like that it set about making those #s regardless of the hot weather or heat already in it. Maybe it was meant to be a southwestern car, but I am glad to have it here today!

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
Steve's car is a perfect combination!

He did his homework and then some! This setup has been in the works for almost 2 years and it shows. :rockon: Hats off to you Steve on this car, it's unreal! The "green" he is referring to is the cat converters and all the other emissions equipment it still has on it. Enjoy it Steve and come back this fall so we can see what it can really do with more break in time and more boost! It was a pleasure to be a part of your awesome build! :beer: Hermann

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
awesome numbers! I was readying your mod list and was wondering how you got 22lbs on pump gas with 9.6:1, but that was before you mentioned torco.

S.C.

Established Member
How many times did you look in the rear view mirror hoping a vette or camaro was coming up behind you lol , congrats those are some serious numbers in that heat.

Teej281

Established Member
This has nothing to do with your new numbers, but I want to hear more videos of your exhaust!!! I wanna hear how longtubes change the sound over just a catted x.

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Thanks for the tuning comments everyone!

I spend a ton of time on every car I do. And the calibrations are done from idle to redline.:rockon: That is why I start my pulls off idle to illustrate the fact of proper calibration from idle to redline. My tunes are truly "Custom Tunes" Have you ever wondered why most dyno sheets you will see start the pulls at 3,000 and above rpm's since the tuner didn't do anything down low in the tune and if the pull was started down low the customer would see the tune was lean for WAY to long.:nonono: But hey, you get what you pay for right? At least my customer's do!:beer: Hermann:burnout:

Teej281

Established Member
Hermann, youre the man! I really hope when my car is buttoned up next summer(well for the time being anyways), that I can get you to do the tune on it. 2.6KB with E85 GT, very conservative tune to keep it under 450rwhp for now. Then built motor by spring and H/C by end of next summer.

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Sounds good, let me know when your ready to do it.

Hermann, youre the man! I really hope when my car is buttoned up next summer(well for the time being anyways), that I can get you to do the tune on it. 2.6KB with E85 GT, very conservative tune to keep it under 450rwhp for now. Then built motor by spring and H/C by end of next summer.

I'll be glad to set you up properly AND SAFELY!!!:rockon: Hermann:beer:

Quick Strike

Established Member
How many times did you look in the rear view mirror hoping a vette or camaro was coming up behind you lol , congrats those are some serious numbers in that heat.

It always works this way for me. I saw every Vette, Seleen, Rousch and GT500 imaginable going down on my no boost break in tune. When I was on the way back fully tuned, I saw nothing but minivans and heard lots of crickets. I did fill up the Mahoning Valley tunnel with a nice sound at one point though!

This has nothing to do with your new numbers, but I want to hear more videos of your exhaust!!! I wanna hear how longtubes change the sound over just a catted x.

I will see what I can do about a few video clips of the exhaust. I seem to have a power steering pump issue that is making quite a bit of noise, but is still functioning normally. I think it would take away from the quality of any exhaust sound clip currently.

Users who are viewing this thread