Better Alternatives to Amazon firestick

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I did a good bit of research on this a while back and ended up with a Roku, but these devices are evolving all the time. My daughter uses the firestick and while it's adequate, it's on the lower end of the spectrum for speed. The Roku has its quirks too, but I'm happy with it. A lot will depend what you want to access.

nxhappy

Established Member
firestick kodi, and netflix has plenty of options. Also amazon prime is pretty good. with those 3 you should be able to watch anything.

Blown 89

Established Member
What are you using it for and what don't you like about the Fire Stick?

For general media consumption and games the NVIDIA Shield is the best device on the market. It has enough horsepower to function as a Plex server if need be. It might be overkill but it's hard to say without knowing what your needs are.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Yeah, need to know your intentions. Can't put Kodi on Roku, unless something has changed since the last time I checked.

I have a firestick(1st gen) in my living room with kodi and some other apps for streaming installed. I also have a Prime account. In my room I have a cheap($24.99) ebay android TV box that i bought around the same time i bought the firestick. I hasn't missed a beat and runs smoother than the firestick(1st gen). I use the same apps on both devices.

4stang6

Established Member
I actually haven't purchased 1 yet, I'm just looking to see if there is other options before I purchase it...

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
if you plan to put kodi on it i would recommend getting the fire box over the stick. i have both. 2 boxes and 1 stick. the stick has way more buffering issues than the box. and if possible, hard wire it to your router. makes it run even faster. cant hard wire a stick.

bigmoose

Established Member
Fire TV box here. Performance is much better then the stick. I stream Blu-ray videos from my Plex server at 20Mb to my fire TV no problem.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Have you side-loaded Kodi? What are you looking to do that your Firestick can't do now?

firestick kodi, and netflix has plenty of options. Also amazon prime is pretty good. with those 3 you should be able to watch anything.

Ps:

Get rid of Kodi. There are multiple lawsuits going on with Kodi, and internet companies trying to find out which people are using it, and sending nice little notes about it.

As said above Terrarium TV > Kodi ( for now)

Blown 89

Established Member
Ps:

Get rid of Kodi. There are multiple lawsuits going on with Kodi, and internet companies trying to find out which people are using it, and sending nice little notes about it.

As said above Terrarium TV > Kodi ( for now)
The lawsuit is against two add-ons, don't install those two add-ons, problem solved. Let's not fear monger here.

Last edited:

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
What add-ons would that happen to be? I use Convenant, I'm sure that's one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread