Better all around AK for range time: AK47 or AK74

Which AK do you prefer for the criteria I've given?

• Total voters

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
If you really think anyone cares about a college kid flipping some lowers you're the dumb one here.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
The law is one size fits all brother. If you want to air your dirty laundry online then be my guest. Don't be surprised though when you're applying for a job down the road and they've run a search on your email and see this. Applying for LE agencies they asked me about online comments I made almost 10 years ago and the comments I made weren't even criminal.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
AK's are only good for spray and pray. It's not a rifle you take to the range and see how accurate it is. If you watch a slow motion video the barrell actually flexes bad when fired causing the bullets to be flung everywhere. The sights and ergonomics are horrible. The buttstock is way too short for anyone that's a decent sized person.

I'd get an AR before and AK even if it's more expensive.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
You admit to buying and selling firearms for profit on a public forum most likely without a license which is a felony...

It's only against the law if he's doing it as a business. According to the ATF you're allowed to build weapons for sale infrequently. You'll have to look up the exact verbage. An example would be your friend asks you to build him an AR because he lacks the ability. I bought a stripped lower to build from a friend a couple weeks ago. Nothing illegal at all about it state or federal.

Selling firearms P to P has never been a felony.

Last edited:

Jebadias

Established Member
Wow. There is so much misleading and wrong info in the first few posts that I think I'll not waste my time reading and just skip to the reply.

Here is the real deal about AKs as short as I can make it.

AKs are good weapons. They are generally very reliable. Rifles built by competent manufacturers are accurate. They are easy to maintain and field strip. Parts are plentiful and cheap. Magazines are cheap. AK sights can be easily upgraded to something easier to use if you desire, and for little money. AK ergonomics suck. They just do and there is not much you can do about it. The weapons are easy and fun to shoot and just plain work.

Are you shooting in an indoor range? Do you do your ammo shoping from local stores? If so go for 7.62x39. Otherwise go for 5.45x39 and stock up on ammo in bulk.

5.45 is hard to find in stores. Last I knew only one domestic manufacturer makes it because surplus is so cheap. Surplus is 'corrosive' Oooohh, Aaahhh, so what? Clean your rifle and you are fine. Do a search on cleaning after shooting corrosive primers to see what to use while cleaning. It's not like it's an AR where you have to dig into little gas tubes or behind tiny locking lugs. M1 Garands and M1 carbines used corrosive primers for decades and those rifles are just fine 70 years later if they were maintained properly. Surplus does have steel cores though so indoor ranges will usually not allow it for fear of it damaging thier backstops.

5.45 can be had for around $200 for 1100 rounds, give or take depending on the day. A good AK 74 is as accurate as an AR15. I purchased a saiga (Russian) 74 a few years ago specifically to debunk the myth in my unit about the M16's superiority over the AK. I grew up hearing this myth and believing it. After owning the 74 for a few years I have switched over to it almost completly for rifles in that class. I actually gave my AR away to my son when he went to boot camp a while back and, since I retire next year and will not need to train people on this platform anymore, I do not intend to replace it. Maybe I'll get one of those sweet new Tavors though, I kinda think I'll like them.

Digital

Established Member
AK's are only good for spray and pray. It's not a rifle you take to the range and see how accurate it is. If you watch a slow motion video the barrell actually flexes bad when fired causing the bullets to be flung everywhere. The sights and ergonomics are horrible. The buttstock is way too short for anyone that's a decent sized person.

Actually AK47s have almost the same mil spec for accuracy as a ar15. You are very wrong sir.

4a7191a

Established Member
Having owned an ak47 since 1994 , I voted for the 47. Love to shoot it and they aren't junk. Mines hog hunted before just fine using wolf HP rounds. Works just fine and compared to an ar for close up the ak wins every time IMO. In abuse test ak still wins. The ak 47 has killed more people than both atomic bombs combined and is still racking the count up. Junk.... yeah right.

Riptide

Established Member
The AK isnt some match grade target rifle. Its designed to hit man size targets out to 300 give or take.

My Arsenal SAM7 finish held up fine after thousands of rounds and dozens of cleanings. There were finish issues with some models. One would hope they are sorted by now.

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
I own a few Ak variants. Mine are all Saiga's and dead nut accurate and reliable.

If you want a quality AK variant with mostly Russian made parts get a Saiga. The caliber is up to you. I would pick the 7.62 just because you can get ammo at Wal-mart.

Get the 7.62 now and the 5.45 later. Believe me, once you get one you'll want another and some how a Mosin Nagant will make it's way to your collection too.

I have one Saiga that had been through hell and back, I mean thrown around on nice size rocks, buried in dirt,snow and water and it's gone bang on target akmost every time. It has failed to fire 3 times and that was because of Tulammo, one of the times a bullet got lodged in the barrel.

If you want a quick sight fix get a Mojo peep rear sight and go have fun, they're badass guns

Last edited:

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member

What? Put the bottle down and sober up.

Riptide

Established Member
Lol only good for spray and pray. Jesus

Rest of the post was somewhat accurate though. Nato stocks are better for bigger men. Warsaw pact are for smaller folks.

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
Lol only good for spray and pray. Jesus

Rest of the post was somewhat accurate though. Nato stocks are better for bigger men. Warsaw pact are for smaller folks.

I only agree with the sights sucking. I'm 5'10 and the AK's fit me fine, but I can see where it can be a problem for some. The rest of his post is garbage.

Jroc

Established Member
Let me ask y'all this:

I was doing some research and a lot of people have high praise for the Finnish made Valmet M62 and M76. Some on the gun forums seem to think they are the best AK based platforms. What do y'all think? Are they expensive, and hard to get? Also I believe they are only made to fire 7.62x39mm and not the 5.45x39mm. I'm I correct on that?

Last edited:

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
I have no experience with the 62 or 76 other than seein them for sale from time to time in the 35-7k range. As far as the Caliber I have seen a Yugo 8mm M76 for sale a while back.

From what I understand the m76 is compared to the PSL which means it's more of a longer range gun (6-700 yards)

EDIT: I am wrong, it's the Yugo M76 and PSL. As far as the Valmet, I'm clueless.

Last edited:

Riptide

Established Member
I only agree with the sights sucking. I'm 5'10 and the AK's fit me fine, but I can see where it can be a problem for some. The rest of his post is garbage.
His comments about the barrel are technically accurate.

There are two types of stocks to choose from. I personally prefer the warsaw pact length stock. Wish my AK had one. Easy enough to change though.

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
His comments about the barrel are technically accurate.

There are two types of stocks to choose from. I personally prefer the warsaw pact length stock. Wish my AK had one. Easy enough to change though.

The barrel does flex and when the barrel starts to get hot accuracy does start to suffer, but bullets are not "flung everywhere".

The person behind the trigger had a lot to do with accuracy, but it's easier on the ego to blame the gun.

Lets not forget ammo choice as well. My buddy I shoot with almost every weekend couldn't group for shit running Independence ammo through his AR15 with a red dot at 50 yards shooting from prone.

Give him some PMC and he's deadly.

I like Nato length. How tall are you?

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
What? Put the bottle down and sober up.

Go watch the vids.

The US Army agrees with me when it comes to accuracy. This is a summary of their 1962 comparison.

22118d1337011949-old-fight-new-information-ak-vs-ar.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread