Best Way to Learn About Cars/Car Repair?

ARC

Established Member
The maxima doesn't look too bad, though the mileage is not listed. The 3.5 V6 is a great engine, but good lord, you need to have circus carney hands to work on it.

And im going to say no to the dsm, if you want to work on cars then thats all you will do with that car. Lol

I had a 96 gst eclipse, and it was always some little gremlin with those cars. The trans in the fwd are crap if you start making any kind of power, the motor would last forever, but everything around it would fall apart.

Thank you for your advices and input, sir. I appreciate it. Scrapping those cars :p

$1,500 Accord? Hmm..
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4466787870.html

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Most of the good points have been made already. I might repeat a few but whatever, here's a few quick thoughts.

Honestly I think these Hondas and Nissans and stuff you're looking at are too new, reliable, and expensive to be worthwhile investments for you to be learning on. My first car was a thirty year old Dodge that faced the wrath of redneck owners and their genius redneck engineering. I tore it down to a shell and restored it and learned more than I ever could have imagined.

I would start by reading all the literature you can get ahold of. If you are doing this by yourself there are some things you need to be aware of so you don't hurt or kill yourself or anyone else. For example there are people that would try to see what happens if they took a wrench and touched the two posts of a battery. I see people all the time messing around under cars without jack stands. Just a cheap leaking Chinese jack holding two tons over their face. And I would recommend books over peoples write ups on the internet and YouTube videos. In this day and age so many people with video cameras and stuff put these things on the internet and who knows what qualifications, if any, they have. Books are a pretty safe bet though. Not to say every write up you come across was written by a moron, but be careful.

Do not be afraid to take anything apart, even if it still works good. Heck, sometimes even if it's not supposed to be taken apart. A ton can be learned by just seeing the guts of things. Known bad parts are fun to take apart and play with and learn from. I learned how to rebuild and set up a differential because I took one apart when I was 16, with the intention to just clean it up. My uncle saw it and said I hope you know how to clean that up and set it up or you're gonna screw it up. This was news to me. So I had to buy the necessary tools and learn how to setup a rear end.

Don't be afraid to screw anything up. You will break things, you will break tools, you will get stumped, you will put things together wrong, you will take more than one try to fix things, etc. It won't be the end of the world. I see a lot of people get intimidated by things and worried they'll screw it up and farm things out and i just don't understand it most of the time. Some things, sure. If you need an engine block bored over it would be ridiculous, though pretty cool, to buy the ridiculously expensive machines used to do such a job then learn how to do the job. But in most cases I think buying the tools and learning how to do it yourself is the better deal. Remember these are all man made things and replaceable. Even things like bodywork. They're just metal. Most of them anyway. It can be cut out, welded back in, massaged, painted, etc. It can all be fixed.

Don't get in a rush, you aren't a tech at a dealer trying to do a warranty job as fast as possible because it doesn't pay shit. Some things will seem like they take forever. A lot of accidents happen when things get rushed though. Patience and persistency will take you very far in the car world. If you get frustrated, angry, losing patience, step away. Go do something else for a while.

I think many people get overwhelmed by cars and overcomplicate them. They are really pretty simple. They're just different types of systems all mashed into one big unit. Electrical, hydraulic, HVAC, mechanical, etc and sometimes even combinations of the above.Once you learn the fundamentals of each of these separate systems you can fix nearly any problem on any car. And the knowledge and skills will transfer over to so many other things as well.

I would skip the full blown tech schools like Wyotech and UTI, and that's coming from an UTI graduate. I apprenticed under a tech at a dealership for about a year and learned more than I did at school. I graduated at the top of my class, so it's not like I was just screwing around during school barely passing. A few courses at a community college might be worth it depending on the cost.

I was also a tech at the dealer after my apprenticeship and I would not really recommend making a career out of being an automotive technician. It's not a bad way to make a living, but there are certainly much better choices. I rarely had comebacks, and rarely flagged less than 40 hrs a week, so I'm not saying that because I sucked at my job, though I'm sure there's plenty of guys that would run circles around me. As an entry level tech you will prob start around $12-15/ flag hour, and if you're lucky after years in the field you might top out around $30/ flag hour. Like anything there are exceptions, meaning some guys will tell you how great it is and how much money they make and all that, but the large majority will say otherwise. Honestly the only techs i personally know that are truly comfortable financially are either the young single ones with no bills, or the ones that are married whose wife also makes as much or more than them. Oh, and some of the crooked ones that do things like up sell work to the customer and don't actually do the work, amongst their other money making schemes.

This will make me sound like an old dork but try not to forget safety gear. Goggles, ear protection, gloves, face shield, no rings, bracelets, necklaces dangling, etc. no sandals, shorts, tank tops, keys on your waist or belt buckles to scratch paint, long hair tied back, etc. You don't need to be wearing all that crap all the time or wear a suit of armor but be smart about things.

Tools....tools are nearly a whole separate topic but don't cheap out on them. You could easily spend enough on tools to buy a very nice car, but they will be worth it if you come to use them often. The difference in quality is noticeable and can easily affect the quality of your work. Even something as simple as a box wrench or screwdriver..a high end tool feels and works so much better. Even things like craftsman are getting pretty cheap IMO. I have some very old craftsman ratchets that are as smooth and tight as could be, and then some new ones that feel like fragile loose garbage. Cheap tools do have their place, but I would recommend looking for used higher end tools. Snap on, Matco, Cornwell, Mac, etc. Even if damaged or broken most of them you can send in and get replaced even if you didn't buy them new yourself. Sometimes you can chase down the Snap on or other tool truck and get replacements that way. But look on craigslist and pawn shops, flea markets, etc. I see plenty of techs getting out of the game and selling off their tools.

I guess my reply didn't turn out to be very quick, but cars have consumed my thirty years on this planet thus far so I get pretty into them. Been working on cars since I was about five, went to school for them, worked at dealers, parts stores, have built, restored, raced them, etc. I love what I do, but I'm not a rich man, not by a long shot. They're still how I make a living today but like I said there are better ways to do so. I hope someday I can get away from them professionally and just call them a hobby. If you have any questions feel free to ask or pm me and I'll try to help as best as I can.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I would say work your way up.

You've got a car? Start with the basics. Learn to change air filters, rotate tires, change oil. There's all sorts of information in print and online for these.

From there, work your way up. Next a brake job, then maybe a CAI, then maybe some exhaust, and it just goes on and on. You'll slowly gain skill and build up confidence without getting in over your head. Don't just jump in and rip apart an engine.

That's how I started. From there it was down the rabbit hole, and now I don't think there's a single bolt on my car that's gone untouched.

Prototype007

Established Member
It's like learning to swim or getting laid, just get in. Don't go in too deep all at once and start off with easy stuff.

Seriously though, Internet and a camera is two great ways to learn how to take something apart and putting it back together. A picture for every step and keeping it all organized will help you learn at a lot faster pace and not frustrate you as easily.

The most important thing is never be afraid to ask for help and consider multiple opinions on a situation.

Last edited:

ARC

Established Member
@Sublime thanks for the writeup. It's definitely eye opening and informative. I'm probably making somewhere around $20 an hour at my job (I'm on salary though). I doubt I will ever be rich or wealthy unless I find something more lucrative to do. I figured working on cars as a profession and what not isn't a great way to earn a living.

Buy a foxbody. You'll learn real quick

I'd like to think so, but I've got no experience in fixing cars or ANYTHING for that matter.

I would say work your way up.

You've got a car? Start with the basics. Learn to change air filters, rotate tires, change oil. There's all sorts of information in print and online for these.

From there, work your way up. Next a brake job, then maybe a CAI, then maybe some exhaust, and it just goes on and on. You'll slowly gain skill and build up confidence without getting in over your head. Don't just jump in and rip apart an engine.

That's how I started. From there it was down the rabbit hole, and now I don't think there's a single bolt on my car that's gone untouched.
Yeah, but it's scary to me to work on my car because mistakes can be too costly. I wouldn't be able to afford repairs on a mistake I made with it. I do agree with starting small though.

This guy is very helpful. Watched his videos when I had to test my coil packs.

I'll check it out.
buy something that breaks A LOT! lol

Shoot. My mom had/has a 1990 Ford Taurus Stationwagon. I don't know where it is but that thing was a P.O.S. If I knew how to restore vehicles, it would be able to run well though.
It's like learning to swim or getting laid, just get in. Don't go in too deep all at once and start off with easy stuff.

Seriously though, Internet and a camera is two great ways to learn how to take something apart and putting it back together. A picture for every step and keeping it all organized will help you learn at a lot faster pace and not frustrate you as easily.

The most important thing is never be afraid to ask for help and consider multiple opinions on a situation.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to start immersing myself in the car world and seeing if it pays dividends.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I learned by doing. Pay attention to the way things come apart and you'll likely be able to put it back together.

There are also some helpful vids on youtube for certain tasks.

This would be the simplest and most helpful reply. On both counts.

I like that Travis mentioned paying attention to the way things come apart, which helps you put them back together. I did this very thing with my old '03 Cobra when I removed and re-installed the blower. I had never done it before. I had some basic removal instructions, which helped, but the biggest key for me was documenting each step during the removal and labeling the various parts. Each part was thereby identified with a removal step. The re-install was a breeze since all I had to do was basically reverse the process, and I knew exactly where each part went and in which install step. It doesn't hurt to take photos with your cell phone, too. Especially when you think they will help you later with the repair or install.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Buy a foxbody. You'll learn real quick

I'd like to think so, but I've got no experience in fixing cars or ANYTHING for that matter.

I had a fox body for my first car and that thing was stupid easy to work on. I would suggest this also as it would keep you familiar with mustangs. Even a sn95 GT would be a good car to learn on.

A lot of work people think is hard isn't hard it's just time consuming. I have no exp in internal engine work so I can't speak on that

ThomasL

Established Member
I'd also say if you are going the learn by experience/doing route, do not cut corners or skimp when it comes to good tools. Just my opinion but when i was younger and would work on my cars, i had shitty tools and was always frustrated as hell. Now i have great tools and any issues that arise are my own inexperience, not the tools.

Users who are viewing this thread