Best Way to Learn About Cars/Car Repair?

ARC

Established Member
I'm trying to learn about cars. I'm not going to work on my '14 GT because that would be retarded at my mechanical level of expertise (which is probably negative). I can fill my own gas up and do a basic exterior/interior car wash and detail, but don't count on me to change my own oil or put in a cold air intake and tune. Anyway, any ideas on how I can do this? I might want to pursue a career in this some day if it's possible/reasonable. Thanks

P.s. goals of mine would be able to do all car repairs and installations myself. That's really hard though...

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
No better teacher than experience. Get a beater and learn how to wrench on it. That's how most people start out.

Other than that, read a lot. There's a lot of BS on the internet but there's a lot of good information too.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I went to an automotive trade school that was really expensive. Maybe you can inquire with a local community college about a basic automotive course if the price is reasonable.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I learned by doing. Pay attention to the way things come apart and you'll likely be able to put it back together.

There are also some helpful vids on youtube for certain tasks.

Broken Snake

Established Member
There are alot of ways to learn how to install things on your car, but the biggest thing is experience like what was said above. If you do want to start learning how to wrench take it slow and research your every move. Eventually you will get better at what you are doing, but it is hard for people who are not mechanically inclined to do so with little to no sweat. My suggestion is watching plenty of YouTube videos on what you're trying to achieve read up on everything and take notes from many sources. Just don't try anything that is over your skill level without someone there who knows what they are doing or you could make a very expensive and time consuming mistake.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Meet some local car guys/gals and tell them you know nothing, but want to learn. Have them show you the ropes on basic mods. Offer to lend a hand and watch while they wrench on their piles too.

ARC

Established Member
No better teacher than experience. Get a beater and learn how to wrench on it. That's how most people start out.

Other than that, read a lot. There's a lot of BS on the internet but there's a lot of good information too.

Any recommendations on a potential beater? I will definitely start reading more. I used to do that more often in college.

I went to an automotive trade school that was really expensive. Maybe you can inquire with a local community college about a basic automotive course if the price is reasonable.

I might look into that. The problem is time out at a college and money of course. Good suggestion though, thanks.

ARC

Established Member
I learned by doing. Pay attention to the way things come apart and you'll likely be able to put it back together.

That is tough. :p. I want to learn that way too. I almost feel as though it's too late because I'm older and not a kid anymore.

There are alot of ways to learn how to install things on your car, but the biggest thing is experience like what was said above. If you do want to start learning how to wrench take it slow and research your every move. Eventually you will get better at what you are doing, but it is hard for people who are not mechanically inclined to do so with little to no sweat. My suggestion is watching plenty of YouTube videos on what you're trying to achieve read up on everything and take notes from many sources. Just don't try anything that is over your skill level without someone there who knows what they are doing or you could make a very expensive and time consuming mistake.

Not a bad idea...I think I'd probably need a helping hand at the start at least to even know what tools I need and such.

Meet some local car guys/gals and tell them you know nothing, but want to learn. Have them show you the ropes on basic mods. Offer to lend a hand and watch while they wrench on their piles too.

Damn, that's a good idea. I'm antisocial but I think that would help my knowledge. Thanks

86silverbullett

Established Member
Experience is the major factor I think, I started learning as soon as I could be out in the garage with my dad. Join forums and DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS, there is no such thing as a stupid question..Better to ask and do something right the first time than not ask because then, you have to ask how to fix the mistake you made by not asking! And a good beater to learn on would be a cheap foxbody mustang..Read, read, and read some more!

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
As said before buy an older cheap car that needs some work and just go to town. Get something 80's american so parts will be cheap and it should be decently easy to work on. Get something really common so you can find plenty of workshop manuals and tech write up's online to study.

The trans in my 85 bmw blew out back in feb. My brother and I had never touched a trans before in our lives but we read over some material and just went at it. Now we could do a full trans replacement in about 6-8 hours vs taking that long just to get it out the first time.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member

This.

Also make sure you have lots of good tools.

Mystic03

Established Member
or get a parttime job at an auto repair shop as a oil change guy EXPERIENCE is everything!

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Everybody pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Google, youtube, and forums have helped me a lot. I never hurts to have somebody who is mechanically inclined there with you to make sure you are doing it right lol. But things like CAI, loading a tune, stickers and what not are really simple and a good place to start. If you've ever held a flat head screwdriver or a wrench, you can install an intake. You'd be surprised what you can do with the right tools, a couple beers, and a set of instructions lol.

Blackpony13

Established Member
What great ideas to get started and I agree with Sid...pay attention to how things come apart and you will be amazed how simple things can be to install like cool air intake...

coposrv

Established Member
Everyone pretty much nailed it on experience being the biggest contributing factor. As for working on your GT I would start there. Nothing worse than breaking tools or needing a torch and 3/4 drive breaker bar to loosen 30 year old rusted frozen bolts.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
That is tough. :p. I want to learn that way too. I almost feel as though it's too late because I'm older and not a kid anymore.

Not a bad idea...I think I'd probably need a helping hand at the start at least to even know what tools I need and such.

Damn, that's a good idea. I'm antisocial but I think that would help my knowledge. Thanks

Its an endless cycle, dont be afraid of it! I'm usually the "car guy" helping friends do shit to their car, but this past week the table flipped, when two buddies tore the diff out of my cobra to reseal it. I watched and helped where I could, but it was still a learning experience!

Users who are viewing this thread