Best Way To Get Past A Work Mess Up

CM5878

Established Member
Long story short is I hard coded something in Excel and was called out about it by Internal Audit(I work for a corporate bank). I basically hard coded the balances in two spreadsheets because I had issues with the excel formulas and I am rather new at this job. After an hr long discussion with Internal Audit, my bosses boss and her boss brought me in to explain the situation and they werent too happy as its technically against the integrity of the company. Now Im extremely worried what tomorrow will brin and Ive already popped one xanax. I go on vacation Thurs so I guess if Im canned, it goes down tomorrow. Is an error like this fixable by being a lesson learned?

Coiled03

Established Member
Totally up to your company and how they handle these things.

I don't think there's anything preventing them from giving you a second chance. But, some companies have a zero tolerance policy for certain types of mistakes.

Your best bet is probably just to own it, and ask for a second chance.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Long story short is I hard coded something in Excel and was called out about it by Internal Audit(I work for a corporate bank). I basically hard coded the balances in two spreadsheets because I had issues with the excel formulas and I am rather new at this job. After an hr long discussion with Internal Audit, my bosses boss and her boss brought me in to explain the situation and they weren't too happy as its technically against the integrity of the company. Now I'm extremely worried what tomorrow will bring and Ive already popped one xanax. I go on vacation Thursday so I guess if Im canned, it goes down tomorrow. Is an error like this fixable by being a lesson learned?

No offense, and maybe the meds, but I sure as heck hope you spell better at work, lol.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Well you could always beat them to the punch and resign. If you knowingly violated policy - that's not the same as a mistake. Best you can do is claim error in judgement, you didn't realize the severity, ect. Good luck. If they didn't can you today, I would guess you have a better than 50/50 shot of surviving but will be put on a short leash.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Were you not aware of the policies and regulations for your position? it seems like this would be something you should know if you're working with this kind of stuff. So if you were aware and were trained, then it's your fault. However, if you were just tossed some work and asked to slap together some formulas in excel to get some balances and shit with no one telling you what you can and can not do, I'd say it isn't your fault. And you need to express that if it's the case. If it's an error in which can cause a fine, then most likely you will get it... if it's just a slap on the wrist from audit, then they're doing there job right and you guys should be able to move on. That's the whole reason they are there, to catch the issues and bring them to the company to fix before something bad DOES happen.

CM5878

Established Member
Well I have major issues with vlookups and sumif formulas, so for the sake of meeting a deadline, I overode the links to tie. Ive learned my lesson but Im sure Ill just continue to struggle with these formulas. Even if its my fault, I can still rectify this situation moving forward and do the right thing.

Were you not aware of the policies and regulations for your position? it seems like this would be something you should know if you're working with this kind of stuff. So if you were aware and were trained, then it's your fault. However, if you were just tossed some work and asked to slap together some formulas in excel to get some balances and shit with no one telling you what you can and can not do, I'd say it isn't your fault. And you need to express that if it's the case. If it's an error in which can cause a fine, then most likely you will get it... if it's just a slap on the wrist from audit, then they're doing there job right and you guys should be able to move on. That's the whole reason they are there, to catch the issues and bring them to the company to fix before something bad DOES happen.

Last edited:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Fired over an Excel formula. I hope not. Excel is a day to day learning process. Believe me I have seen people who are fluent in Excel, shake their heads over some of the things Management asks for. Good luck on keeping your job.

Coiled03

Established Member
Well I have major issues with vlookups and sumif formulas, so for the sake of meeting a deadline, I overode the links to tie. Ive learned my lesson but Im sure Ill just continue to struggle with these formulas. Even if its my fault, I can still rectify this situation moving forward and do the right thing.

Come on.....really?

Damn near any issue you've encountered in Excel has been solved by someone else, somewhere. You just have to search for the answer. I can't even tell you how many formula issues I've resolved by just typing my issue into Google.

CM5878

Established Member
I have and still no dice.

Come on.....really?

Damn near any issue you've encountered in Excel has been solved by someone else, somewhere. You just have to search for the answer. I can't even tell you how many formula issues I've resolved by just typing my issue into Google.

blownfox

Established Member
Mistakes will happen its part of being human. If your company is going to fire you one one mistake, then you're better off at a different company.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Be honest and forthcoming. Be accountable.

That being said I think you need to look for a new job. It is not the end of the world.

sneakysnake03

SVT
Established Member
My philosophy is time fixes everything. Also there is no use worrying over something you have no control over,and if they don't fire you my guess is they will ride you pretty hard for a while. So it might be a catch 22, but hopefully everything works out for the best. Good Luck!!

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
My philosophy is time fixes everything. Also there is no use worrying over something you have no control over,and if they don't fire you my guess is they will ride you pretty hard for a while. So it might be a catch 22, but hopefully everything works out for the best. Good Luck!!
+1

Time and it's out of your control op. Learn from it and improve.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
You mentioned at least 3 bosses above you.
Is there nobody you can turn to for advice if you have an issue?
You admittedly are relatively new at your job.

I think that what they are concerned with is you burying a problem instead of dealing with it.

Balances sheets are mathematics. There can only be one correct answer.

Last edited:

MFE

Established Member
Best way to get past it is to get out in front of it, but this sounds pretty serious. In all honesty, did you know that what you did wasn't cool when you did it? And in all honesty, how are you "fitting in" in general?

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Am I understanding this right, your work in the spreadsheet wasn't producing the correct numbers so you set them in?

Users who are viewing this thread