Best type of investment

VegasMichael

Established Member
To you Vegas Michael and Ohio Snake... I made suggestions based on where I put MY extra money for short/mid term growth and even provided examples... care to share what you're doing with YOUR money?
S and P 500. Not currently putting any money in right now. 7% over the long term.

Logan2003Cobra

Established Member
I'll summarize the last two pages.

OP - I've got some extra money to invest for the short term but don't want to lock in to anything with penalties.

Me - Buy mutual funds, good returns, and no penalty for early withdrawal.

Ohio Snake and Company - Don't take risks with your money in the current strong economy (Even though I do this, I'm just not going to tell you that I do)... invest with my firm where I can charge you a consulting fee and put your money in the most conservative long term investments that will guarantee me and my firm the most money by volume in the long run, and even with that I still won't make any promises so I can't be prosecuted.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
FINALLY we get to the bottom of it... none of us are getting paid for our "services".

Try stepping out of the office for 5 minutes, remember we are on a car forum, and try sharing what YOU would do with YOUR money given the circumstances the OP provided instead of grandstanding.

Are you going to tell me that you DON"T take advantage of a strong market?!

Yes we are on a car forum. The OP asked a question on investing which many others have chimed in with their experiences that works for them and thats great.

Those responding did not make the foolish statement you made.

I have shared investment discussions on other threads when asked or is appropriate and have had others PM me with personal investing questions.

Buying large cap Fidelity Funds works for you and your obviously happy with the returns. You need recognize that not all investors share the same philosophies as you do. I personally like straight stocks over-weighted in mid and small cap in the current environment.

People should advantage of a strong market based on what they can afford to lose and be cautious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VegasMichael

Established Member
If you already have money in keep it in the 5oo. Do not commit any new money. My thing is this: If you can't find anything that is in your comfort zone keep it in the bank for a few years.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I'll summarize the last two pages.

OP - I've got some extra money to invest for the short term but don't want to lock in to anything with penalties.

Me - Buy mutual funds, good returns, and no penalty for early withdrawal.

Ohio Snake and Company - Don't take risks with your money in the current strong economy (Even though I do this, I'm just not going to tell you that I do)... invest with my firm where I can charge you a consulting fee and put your money in the most conservative long term investments that will guarantee me and my firm the most money by volume in the long run, and even with that I still won't make any promises so I can't be prosecuted.

Lets revise the ME & the Ohio and Company portions since your putting additional fake information in to the thread.

ME (Logan2003Cobra) Buy mutual funds. Most Will average 10%- 14% at any time. Efficient withdraws are another argument.

Ohio Snake and Company- Consider the time frame you are wanting to invest and determine what you can afford to loose, The stock market is overdue for a pullback which may happen at the time when you may need your money the most. I don’t know much more about the OP and if he has more questions, he can PM me. He can create his own brokerage account through various clearinghouses such as ScottTrade, Fidelity, Schwab or Ameritrade as suggestions and I can give you some direction on what you may want to consider.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
If you already have money in keep it in the 5oo. Do not commit any new money. My thing is this: If you can't find anything that is in your comfort zone keep it in the bank for a few years.

That is good statement, especially the second sentence.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Lets revise the ME & the Ohio and Company portions since your putting additional fake information in to the thread.

ME (Logan2003Cobra) Buy mutual funds. Most Will average 10%- 14% at any time. Efficient withdraws are another argument.

Ohio Snake and Company- Consider the time frame you are wanting to invest and determine what you can afford to loose, The stock market is overdue for a pullback which may happen at the time when you may need your money the most. I don’t know much more about the OP and if he has more questions, he can PM me. He can create his own brokerage account through various clearinghouses such as ScottTrade, Fidelity, Schwab or Ameritrade as suggestions and I can give you some direction on what you may want to consider. I am not asking the OP to hire me or my firm.

Logan2003Cobra

Established Member
Show me where I said "at any time".

Did I, or did I not, tell him to open and account with an investment firm?

If he goes in and says "I'd like to invest in a Fidelity Fund and I'm looking to get around 10-14% return", would they not have plenty of options for him? Also, would they not advise him of the level of risk?

The $2500 minimum investment should also be a gauge for how much someone has available and/or is willing to risk. If the thought of losing $2500 makes you sweat than you shouldn't be looking at ANY investment that doesn't have a guarantee.

And speaking of risk and guarantees... are you guaranteeing a 7% return and that there is no risk with stocks or S&P500?

VegasMichael

Established Member

If he goes in and says "I'd like to invest in a Fidelity Fund and I'm looking to get around 10-14% return", would they not have plenty of options for him? Also, would they not advise him of the level of risk?

The $2500 minimum investment should also be a gauge for how much someone has available and/or is willing to risk. If the thought of losing $2500 makes you sweat than you shouldn't be looking at ANY investment that doesn't have a guarantee.

And speaking of risk and guarantees... are you guaranteeing a 7% return and that there is no risk with stocks or S&P500?
Any 20 year period will give you gains. And why are you so all of a sudden worried about gaining 7% when you gave us so many sure things above 15%?

Logan2003Cobra

Established Member
Any 20 year period will give you gains. And why are you so all of a sudden worried about gaining 7% when you gave us so many sure things above 15%?

I find it comical that you jump all over my 10-14% but stand by your 7% like there is zero risk involved or that the same market you're warning against won't kill the stock you've invested in making it difficult to access invested funds in the event of an emergency.

I can apply the EXACT same logic and arguments to your S&P 500 and stock SUGGESTIONS that you and Ohio Snake have used against my SUGGESTION of mutual funds.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
apple, google, amazon. Guaranteed money. Set money on it, and forget about it FOREVER. Also dump money into a roth ira.

Ohio Snake

Established Member

I believe you stated “open a brokerage account with Fidelity”. Again, this is irrelevant since Fidelity is a clearinghouse.

I had to add the “at any time” because you did not state a time frame for your average returns statement. So, did you mean 1,3,5,10 years? Your fund returns showed at any time frame.

If someone walked into any firm and asked about obtaining 10%-14% return, the firm better be asking more questions from a suitability standpoint BEFORE suggesting any fund to use. Balancing the level of risk to the desired return is key to fund selection.

If someone states they have averaged 7% , this is not guarantee. It is just past performance. Same goes for your Fidelity funds.

The $2500 is just the minimum for some funds. Actually, funds minimums can range from 0 to $10M or higher. It has no bearing on the amount someone wants to invest.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I directly quoted VegasMichael where he said "not currently putting any money in right now" so yes, that's under the mattress.

No thats not the same if its in a bank. He does have protections and he may get a itty bitty return, but no loss unless you want to count inflation loss.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I find it comical that you jump all over my 10-14% but stand by your 7% like there is zero risk involved or that the same market you're warning against won't kill the stock you've invested in making it difficult to access invested funds in the event of an emergency.
Whoa. Stop. There is always risk. Never said there was not. I stand by long term passively managed indexes. Less than 10% is a good bet in the long run. One needs a long time frame.

Logan2003Cobra

Established Member
apple, google, amazon. Guaranteed money. Set money on it, and forget about it FOREVER. Also dump money into a roth ira.

Unless the CEO gets accused of inappropriate behavior or the government decides to charge/fine them for antitrust...

Users who are viewing this thread