Best Sportsbike 600cc and up

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I know you hate it, but the Europeans have a lot of options that cover the performance range of the 600-750cc range although they are using bigger engines. If you look at their lineups they have tons of options and different models. To be honest, I see Ducatis on the road way more now than ever before, and it's usually various Penigales I see. Ducati's new Penigali V2 is 955cc and makes 155hp, MV Augusta has the Superveloce 800 which is a throwback in styling and has 140hp, and then Aprilia has the RS660 which has 100hp.

I'm tempted between the V2 and the MV in these photos. The V2 is the successor to my Evo and I'm a sucker for the stealth black models, but that Superveloce is freakin cool in that color and styling!View attachment 1811633View attachment 1811634

View attachment 1811636
The RS660 caught my eye, but its apparently a maintenance PITA regarding the lower fairing, bellypan.. as in a bunch of unecc fasteners that aren’t all the same size.. This is what I have heard anyways and that claimed 100hp ain’t brake HP… guys are getting around 88 hp at the wheel and even exhaust and tune won’t net you much more than low 90ish hp.. The ducati supersport though a little bit more cost wise is a better overall bike. That would be my pick if choosing between the two.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The RS660 caught my eye, but its apparently a maintenance PITA regarding the lower fairing, bellypan.. as in a bunch of unecc fasteners that aren’t all the same size.. This is what I have heard anyways and that claimed 100hp ain’t brake HP… guys are getting around 88 hp at the wheel and even exhaust and tune won’t net you much more than low 90ish hp.. The ducati supersport though a little bit more cost wise is a better overall bike. That would be my pick if choosing between the two.

Yeah, that 660 is too little hp for my liking, but it's a good option for someone wanting something entry level, as long as they don't mind the maintenance pains as you stated. Aprilia is also releasing an RS 457 and it's a badass looking little bike. Only makes 47hp but it looks like a lot of fun.

155hp and a 388lb dry weight would make for really fun bike thoughin the V2. And if thats not enough you can get the V4 R with 240hp! Haha.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Yeah, that 660 is too little hp for my liking, but it's a good option for someone wanting something entry level, as long as they don't mind the maintenance pains as you stated. Aprilia is also releasing an RS 457 and it's a badass looking little bike. Only makes 47hp but it looks like a lot of fun.

155hp and a 388lb dry weight would make for really fun bike thoughin the V2. And if thats not enough you can get the V4 R with 240hp! Haha.
Man I have really got the itch to get another bike… I gotta stop checking in on this thread…

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Screenshot_20231001_121136_Gallery.jpg

ajaf1656

Established Member
If you want to play Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, ride around in doggy-style position and be able to go 190mph instead of being aerodynamically limited to 175mph, sport bikes are sweet.
I've been a life long proponent of naked bikes and nerds flocking to them because they are scared of the super bikes bothers me. Fact is, they are just better bikes if you like riding aggressively on public roads. If you are ever going to tap into the performance advantage a super bike has over a naked, you're seriously talking about suicidal riding well beyond illegal or hooliganism. My last speeding ticket was for taking a 30mph curve at 77mph and I was cruising in 2nd gear sitting up with one hand on the bars. It's not like the naked bikes lack performance, 99% of the time, you're going to be better off. Unless you're riding near the redline, the naked will have more power on tap, and you'll have better maneuverability with normal bars compared to being hunched over holding clip-ons.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
If you want to play Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, ride around in doggy-style position and be able to go 190mph instead of being aerodynamically limited to 175mph, sport bikes are sweet.
I've been a life long proponent of naked bikes and nerds flocking to them because they are scared of the super bikes bothers me. Fact is, they are just better bikes if you like riding aggressively on public roads. If you are ever going to tap into the performance advantage a super bike has over a naked, you're seriously talking about suicidal riding well beyond illegal or hooliganism. My last speeding ticket was for taking a 30mph curve at 77mph and I was cruising in 2nd gear sitting up with one hand on the bars. It's not like the naked bikes lack performance, 99% of the time, you're going to be better off. Unless you're riding near the redline, the naked will have more power on tap, and you'll have better maneuverability with normal bars compared to being hunched over holding clip-ons.

I think that's why naked bikes intrigue me too. The low end torque and easy maneuvering that makes for fun street riding. The most fun I had on my 848 was usually in low speed city riding, but it was not an ergonomical or comfortable bike at all. I was originally going to the dealer to put a deposit down on the 1st gen Streetfighter and I went on the website and they had just put up the Evo and so I ended up going to the dealer and landing the 1st 848 Evo in the US from what I was told. Multiple dealers across the country was trying to buy the order from the dealer I got it.

ajaf1656

Established Member
I think that's why naked bikes intrigue me too. The low end torque and easy maneuvering that makes for fun street riding. The most fun I had on my 848 was usually in low speed city riding, but it was not an ergonomical or comfortable bike at all. I was originally going to the dealer to put a deposit down on the 1st gen Streetfighter and I went on the website and they had just put up the Evo and so I ended up going to the dealer and landing the 1st 848 Evo in the US from what I was told. Multiple dealers across the country was trying to buy the order from the dealer I got it.
I've seriously considered getting a super bike because they are just so cool. Do I really need the titanium connecting rods in the R1? Absolutely not. Do I want to have titanium connecting rods? Yes.
I just want all the actual engineering and mechanical goodies without the decoration.

LS WUT

Established Member
I've seriously considered getting a super bike because they are just so cool. Do I really need the titanium connecting rods in the R1? Absolutely not. Do I want to have titanium connecting rods? Yes.
I just want all the actual engineering and mechanical goodies without the decoration.
That’s for sure man. I agree with everything you’ve said. I get the jabs about being on a naked bike often. However it’s fine for me because I’ve got bikes for every occasion really.

Been looking into the Honda CB500F I wanna say it’s called. It’s their version of the smaller MT-07. I just like the way the MT-07 sounds, and looks better. Then I’m told I should get the MT-10 instead of the 7 because it’s more power. I don’t need more power usually, I just wanna be able to feel my hands after 45 minutes of riding.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
That’s for sure man. I agree with everything you’ve said. I get the jabs about being on a naked bike often. However it’s fine for me because I’ve got bikes for every occasion really.

Been looking into the Honda CB500F I wanna say it’s called. It’s their version of the smaller MT-07. I just like the way the MT-07 sounds, and looks better. Then I’m told I should get the MT-10 instead of the 7 because it’s more power. I don’t need more power usually, I just wanna be able to feel my hands after 45 minutes of riding.
Split the difference with the MT-09

ajaf1656

Established Member
When I had my naked FZ1, I bought a 1973 CB500 just to ride in town. The FZ1 would do 80 in first gear before it hit the rev limiter. Haha
Of course, the CB500 turned into a cafe racer project that never got finished completely defeating the whole reason I bought it. Haha
IMG_0015 2.jpeg

05-26-10_2248.jpeg

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Just get a 1250 GS or the new 1300 GS. Its not a great looking bike but my brother has one and swears by it. 650ib a moto youtuber has one too and has a bunch of S1000RR, Panigale V4, H2, H2R and his fave bike is the GS. My brother uses his on the street and dirt.

Imo, if you are paying over $20k for a new bike, it better have quick up and down shift, heated grips, cruise control, etc. Thats whats holding me back from getting a Panigale V4S. People don't know a good thing till the try it.

ajaf1656

Established Member
Just get a 1250 GS or the new 1300 GS. Its not a great looking bike but my brother has one and swears by it. 650ib a moto youtuber has one too and has a bunch of S1000RR, Panigale V4, H2, H2R and his fave bike is the GS. My brother uses his on the street and dirt.

Imo, if you are paying over $20k for a new bike, it better have quick up and down shift, heated grips, cruise control, etc. Thats whats holding me back from getting a Panigale V4S. People don't know a good thing till the try it.
From what I read, the Panigale has a heated seat, so that's got to make up for some of those missing features. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread