Best slicks for the track..

Which slicks are the best for the track?

• Hoosier

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • MT ET Street (DOT APPROVED)

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • MT ET DRAG (Non DOT)

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Other...

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pavich91

Established Member
pavich91, did you go with tubes?

I very new at this and have no idea.lol They are mt streets on sn95 16" rim. They where great, it was nice to launch and not hop and actually get traction. And the 18" 275's up front wasn't as bad as I thought they'd be. I was running at 15psi and am going to drop to 11 and launch higher rpm. My best was 1.7 60' so there is need of improvement but I'm getting there.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
get the drags. whats the chance youll be pulled over on the street and have your tires checked while running them?

I'm not really worried about getting pulled over. I'm more concerned with the compound of the tire. I believe the ET Drags are a different compound and will get worn down faster on the street than the ET Streets will.
I don't want to chew up the slicks before I even get to the track. The way it was explained to me, the ET Streets have a little harder tread compound but a good burn out will soften them up like the Drag, where as the ET Drags are very soft right from the get go and only require a slight burn out. :shrug:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I ran ET Streets for years religously....I swapped to a set of 26x10.5x15 ET Drags, and that is the best thing since sliced bread.

I could go out on a cold track, 1st pass and go low 1.5's on a car with stock suspension. Point & shoot.....plain and simple. Wont ever run another slick again.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I ran ET Streets for years religously....I swapped to a set of 26x10.5x15 ET Drags, and that is the best thing since sliced bread.

I could go out on a cold track, 1st pass and go low 1.5's on a car with stock suspension. Point & shoot.....plain and simple. Wont ever run another slick again.

Are the ET Drags that much better then the ET Streets?
I'm about due for some new tires but my ET Streets have been great.

-

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I noticed a nice improvement when I switched from ET Streets to Hoosier full slicks. Sixty foot times weren't tat much better, (mostly due to the driver being inadequate!), but ET went down significantly.

Jroc

Established Member
I just put some sn95 16's on yesterday with 28x11.5's M/T streets and will try them out on friday at the track. I bought these for the excact reason you stated. No grinding or rolling and easier on the irs. I am just sketchy about the 275 street tires up front when running.:shrug:

I don't Drag Race, but I am curious as to why running 275's up front worries you? Is the track rutted and you feel that the 275's will want to follow the ruts or something, or are you just concerned about weight? :shrug:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I think his concern is mixing bias ply tires (slicks) with radial tires (the 275's). Its commonly known in the drag racing circles that mixing the two causes sidewall sway to be exagerated and can ultimately end up in a car swapping ends due to over correction. Bias ply tires have softer side walls than radial tires and tend to sway on the big end of the track. Since the back tires sway and the fronts don't, the car can get the feeling of the rear end coming out from underneath it. Obviously the faster your car traps, the worse that feeling is.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The best tires for the track are the ET Drags or the Hoosier full slicks. But, if you're running 16" rims to fit the IRS without modification, you're really limited to the 28" Hoosiers:

Rear Tire Slick Options - 16" Rims:
Hoosier slick............28.0/10.0-16
Hoosier QTP............26 X 9.50-16 LT
............................28 X 11.50-16 LT
MT ET Drags...........None
MT ET Streets.........26X10.50-16LT
............................26X11.50-16LT
............................28X11.50-16LT
M & H Racemaster....26 x 12-16
How about 8.5's? any offer that size? 26X8.5, 28X8.5? MT has a 26X8.5X15 ET Drag..
And am I missing something? pavich91said he put and 11.5 inch wide tire on a stock SN95 16 inch rim, how is that possible?

Last edited:

pavich91

Established Member
I don't Drag Race, but I am curious as to why running 275's up front worries you? Is the track rutted and you feel that the 275's will want to follow the ruts or something, or are you just concerned about weight? :shrug:

What pistolwhip just said below is the reason why I was concerned. But it wasn't that bad. Just gotta get used to it.

I think his concern is mixing bias ply tires (slicks) with radial tires (the 275's). Its commonly known in the drag racing circles that mixing the two causes sidewall sway to be exagerated and can ultimately end up in a car swapping ends due to over correction. Bias ply tires have softer side walls than radial tires and tend to sway on the big end of the track. Since the back tires sway and the fronts don't, the car can get the feeling of the rear end coming out from underneath it. Obviously the faster your car traps, the worse that feeling is.

How about 8.5's? any offer that size? 26X8.5, 28X8.5? MT has a 26X8.5X15 ET Drag..
And am I missing something? pavich91said he put and 11.5 inch wide tire on a stock SN95 16 inch rim, how is that possible?

that's what they are and the fit fine.
26x11.5x16
rizxo8.jpg

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Ive had the ET Radials, ET Streets, and the ET Drags, and by far the ET Drags take the cake!

A few things to keep in mind. If the only reason you want the ET Streets is b/c they are DOT legal, they are actually NOT. They have "not for highway use" on the sides of them, and you can get the same ticket as you would for having full slicks on the street.

Also, the ET Street sizes run small. My 28X10.5 ET Drags are actually wider than the 28X11.5 Et Streets I used to run. The Drags are a true 10.5", whereas the Et Streets had a 8.5" section width.

Hope this helps ya!

P.S- Ive been caught in the rain with the Drags numerous times, and they arent as bad as people say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread