Best place to live?

Branhammer

Established Member
I've been to a lot of places, but the very first time I came out to Salt Lake City to visit my wife (then GF), I knew this was where I wanted to live. We seriously have everything here. It's a decent size city but not TOO big like NY or LA (imo). We have beautiful mountains. We have a good economy compared to just about anywhere else. Tons of lakes. We do have winter though, but it doesn't really start to get cold until about late November and it starts warming up again in March. There is a 1/4 mile track and a full race track both within an hour of downtown SLC. The only negatives I can think of are the inversion (air pollution trapped in the valley) in the middle of winter (only for about a month and for the rest of the year we have some of the best air in the country) and the fact that there are still some asshole elitist Mormon families here who won't let their kids play to non-Mormon kids, hire family/members of their ward over more qualified candidates, and give you dirty looks for doing ANYTHING work related on a Sunday. But I live in a neighborhood that none of that really seems to happen in even though there's an LDS church on my street. Most of the Mormons are very nice.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Established Member
High end cars are nuts here too. Multiple car shows every weekend, a ton of race tracks, lots of canyon roads throughout the state. I'd call our car scene more than decent.

AZ is a retirement state, but I would not want to be here even retired. Pros: It's cheap, and gun friendly, but the cons are:
-its hot and dry like an oven(I guess if you are tired of snow that's a positive)
-Allergies are rampant
-Very few things to do
-Public transportation is a joke
-Freeways are a joke
-Poor school systems(Again, not a problem if your children are staying in NY)
-Poor mental health
-Badly managed and represented government

Idk where you guys are, but cars shows are few and far between since people here are more into off roading and trucks. I see dozens of lifted trucks everywhere I go, but very few sports cars. I've seen one Lambo the entire time I lived here. In fact getting my Cobra worked on is a nightmare since no one knows about DOHC Fords, yet there is a truck shop on every corner.

Edited to add: I just found out the unofficial motto of AZ is "Come on vacation, leave on probation." Crime is average, but they arrest and convict anyone of everything with no early release program.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
When I visited New Zealand it was quite beautiful. Prices for food wasn't bad. Gas cost was high.

But the fresh air and scenery were fantastic. And the ocean water was so clear I could easily see the bottom two hundred feet below me.

But, NO GUNS!

Blown 89

Established Member
AZ is a retirement state, but I would not want to be here even retired. Pros: It's cheap, and gun friendly, but the cons are:
-its hot and dry like an oven(I guess if you are tired of snow that's a positive)
-Allergies are rampant
-Very few things to do
-Public transportation is a joke
-Freeways are a joke
-Poor school systems(Again, not a problem if your children are staying in NY)
-Poor mental health
-Badly managed and represented government

Idk where you guys are, but cars shows are few and far between since people here are more into off roading and trucks. I see dozens of lifted trucks everywhere I go, but very few sports cars. I've seen one Lambo the entire time I lived here. In fact getting my Cobra worked on is a nightmare since no one knows about DOHC Fords, yet there is a truck shop on every corner.

Edited to add: I just found out the unofficial motto of AZ is "Come on vacation, leave on probation." Crime is average, but they arrest and convict anyone of everything with no early release program.
You are in Tuscon, that's part of your problem.

- Public Transport in Phoenix is better now that we have light rail. It's still behind other cities but we are too spread out to ever have the same level of public transport as other places
- How are the Freeways here a joke? They're some of the best I've ever been on. Smooth, well maintained and they're on a grid system. 1/4 mile merging lanes. The 101 and 202 loop around the entire valley with three freeways splitting straight down the middle. They don't wind around all willy nilly so they are easy to navigate, rush hour traffic is a breeze and a freeway is easily accessible from anywhere in the valley. Seriously, our freeway system is killer compared to the cluster ****s other states have.
- It's not hot in rim country. It's quite stunning in areas up there year round. The heat isn't for everybody so I get not wanting to be in it.
- Allergies. Yeah, it's one of the worst states for allergies
- Nothing to do? Move out of Tuscon dude. Phoenix has so much to do it's ridiculous. Hiking, tons and tons of great bars/restaurants, an outdoor festival every weekend, bike riding down the greenbelts, year round racing, year round sports leagues, skiing two hours north, day trips to California, cool Indian ruins everywhere, day trips up north, camping, some of the best water spots in the states (Fossil Creek for instance), hiking at the Grand Canyon, amazing roads like Yarnell to go on Sunday cruises, rodeos all over. Seriously, if you can't find something to do in Arizona you're not making an effort.
- The school system is an absolute joke. We are consistently one of the worst in the nation. I will give you that one.
- Mental health? We're ranked in the top 10 in the Healthways Well Being Index. We rank low for mental healthcare but high on overall personal mental health.
- Our government is just fine. It's no better or worse than any other state. We make the news a lot because we piss off the bleeding hearts but how is this a deterring factor for moving here? We have great roads, great gun laws, crime isn't bad....not sure what else you want.

Back to the car scene. Where the heck are you going to think our car scene sucks? Phoenix has the largest longest running car show in the world every Saturday night with weekly shows and cars and coffee meets in Glendale, Fountain Hills, Scottsdale, Tempe, and Phoenix. You can't walk anywhere in Phoenix on a weekend and not hit a car show. We host a number of high end world renown car auctions, have a shit ton of race tracks open year round. Arizona Motorsports Park, Wildhorse Pass has four tracks an NHRA drag strip and a stadium truck course, PKRA is regarded as one of the absolute best karting tracks in the world, Phoenix International, Central Arizona Raceway, Canyon Speedway, Arizona Speedway, QMA Raceway, INDE Motorsport Ranch. Between Bondurant race school and about a zillion race organizations you can race every weekend here.

Not to mention the cars. Jesus the cars. There is big money here. On my 25 minute drive to work this morning I saw an MP41C, an SLS Amg (driven by a smoke show), a La Ferarri, an Aston Martin, a 458, Porsches everywhere, Teslas everywhere, Bentlys everywhere (getting replaced by Teslas it seems). It's sick. How many states can you see a Ford GT, a Bently, or a Ferrari drive by and nobody bats an eye. The car culture here is bonkers. I even spotted a Gumpert Apollo lol. Texas, California, and Florida are about it when it comes to stuff like that regularly rolling the streets. In Tuscon, not so much.

If you're into firearms we have one of the best firearms facilities in the world at Ben Avery. Rio Salado has a host of world champs shooting out of there as well and a ton of indoor ranges throughout the valley. Gunsite Academy is up north if you want to train. We're ranked as the #1 firearms friendly state in the nation year after year.

Years ago someone told me where you live is only as good as you make it. Tuscon though.....seriously, get the hell out of Tuscon. We should give Tuscon back to Mexico for all I'm concerned. ||,/

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
WNC - western nc. We have it all. Mountains. Trails. Hikes. Waterfalls. Plenty of country roads for bikes. Tons of history...there's always a view. Everyone loves it here. Great night life if you like that. Beer capitol of the USA..tons of micro brews....downtown is like little Hollywood...it's exciting...always filming movies around here...you see celebs all around. I've been here 27 years...but the ocean is calling my name.

10fore

Established Member
The Texas Hill Country is where I would cast my vote. I'm in a town just north of San Antonio, and I am about 15 minutes away from a drag strip. The back roads are a lot of fun to drive on, and the car and bike scene is really strong.

Vigilante

Established Member
@Blown 89
I laughed all through your post, I've grown so tired of Tucson and the heat and the dryness and the nothingness. I'm not even joking, there is so little to do here kids have been putting spikes in manhole covers and watching the tires pop: http://tucson.com/news/blogs/police...cle_7dd9437e-a754-11e4-8e8e-73738e899baa.html

I do plan on moving, but not to Phoenix. I honestly didn't know we had a car scene in Phoenix because of the dismal amount of enthusiasts here. Most people mention Firebird and... well that's it. I have watched the Scottsdale BJ auctions a couple times.

What a crap city to be born and raised in. :bash:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
@Blown 89
I laughed all through your post, I've grown so tired of Tucson and the heat and the dryness and the nothingness. I'm not even joking, there is so little to do here kids have been putting spikes in manhole covers and watching the tires pop: http://tucson.com/news/blogs/police...cle_7dd9437e-a754-11e4-8e8e-73738e899baa.html

I do plan on moving, but not to Phoenix. I honestly didn't know we had a car scene in Phoenix because of the dismal amount of enthusiasts here. Most people mention Firebird and... well that's it. I have watched the Scottsdale BJ auctions a couple times.

I'm constantly hating on my parents for raising me in a place like that (Modesto), nothing to do, no good scenery, bad schools, low opportunity, etc.

Blown 89

Established Member
@Blown 89

I really hate Tuscon and it's not the Sun Devil in me. I hated going down there and playing them. Tuscon is a terrible representation of what Arizona has to offer. There's some beautiful camping down there though. I usually drive right past Tuscon on the way to Tumacacori.

What kind of idiot puts pikes in manhole covers? Is it a coincidence that the closer you get to Mexico the worse the crime is? We're armed 24/7 when I visit friends in the remote mountains of Tumacacori. No power, phone, or internet with hoards of Mexicans raiding homes as they cross the border.....all headed straight for Tuscon.

Deric

Established Member
By "warmer climate" do you mean year round... or occasionally? Duluth MN was voted best outdoor town to live in within the US. But you have to deal with winters... or car mod season. Less than 2 hours to Brainerd International Raceway.

But if I could go anywhere.. probably Cannon Beach, Oregon.

HandBanana

Established Member
Back to the car scene. Where the heck are you going to think our car scene sucks? Phoenix has the largest longest running car show in the world every Saturday night with weekly shows and cars and coffee meets in Glendale, Fountain Hills, Scottsdale, Tempe, and Phoenix. You can't walk anywhere in Phoenix on a weekend and not hit a car show. We host a number of high end world renown car auctions, have a shit ton of race tracks open year round. Arizona Motorsports Park, Wildhorse Pass has four tracks an NHRA drag strip and a stadium truck course, PKRA is regarded as one of the absolute best karting tracks in the world, Phoenix International, Central Arizona Raceway, Canyon Speedway, Arizona Speedway, QMA Raceway, INDE Motorsport Ranch. Between Bondurant race school and about a zillion race organizations you can race every weekend here.

Not to mention the cars. Jesus the cars. There is big money here. On my 25 minute drive to work this morning I saw an MP41C, an SLS Amg (driven by a smoke show), a La Ferarri, an Aston Martin, a 458, Porsches everywhere, Teslas everywhere, Bentlys everywhere (getting replaced by Teslas it seems). It's sick. How many states can you see a Ford GT, a Bently, or a Ferrari drive by and nobody bats an eye. The car culture here is bonkers. I even spotted a Gumpert Apollo lol. Texas, California, and Florida are about it when it comes to stuff like that regularly rolling the streets. In Tuscon, not so much.
||,/

I can attest to that. My nephew went to school out there and I flew out to see him a number of times. The saturday night meets there are INSANE. Row after row of Lambos, Ford GTs, Cobras, GT500s, Vipers, etc. Everything was built to the moon and back. Thousands and thousands of horsepower in one massive parking lot. And they do it every single weekend. Just rolling through Scottsdale, you'll see some of the most insane cars you've ever heard of. The money is seemingly endless out there.

Phoenix is an amazing city. I would highly consider moving out there. The people are so active and alive. The scenery is fantastic. And good eats and brews galore. Lots to love.

nxhappy

Established Member
I'm constantly hating on my parents for raising me in a place like that (Modesto), nothing to do, no good scenery, bad schools, low opportunity, etc.

yep, modesto is pretty ghetto lol. however housing and cost of living in the central valley is WAY better.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
born and raised in Colorado, hands down the worst place to live, hell Wyoming would be better. Co has shitty roads, too much traffic, too many people, and house prices are stupid. not to mention just horrible weather. cold ass winters, stupid snow, crazy wind, stupid snow, and then when summer finally gets there, afternoon thunderstorms ruin most of the bandimere events. the only up side to Denver is Bandimere, and the car scene was always great. cruising Longmont every fri and sat, tower rd every sunday night for street racing.

From there we moved to Texas, only lasted a year cause, **** HUMIDITY that's because. too many bugs, too much humidity, very nice roads, too much humidity, super nice people, did I mention its ****ing humid. the human body is not equipped to deal with humidity.

Lived in Boise also, great great place if you can find work.

Honestly there is nothing like socal coastal weather. its just perfect, a little humid but never 100deg with 90% like Texas. If you can afford it, CA is perfect.

Maustang

Established Member
Idaho, Colorado, or TX.

You shush

born and raised in Colorado, hands down the worst place to live, hell Wyoming would be better. Co has shitty roads, too much traffic, too many people, and house prices are stupid. not to mention just horrible weather. cold ass winters, stupid snow, crazy wind, stupid snow, and then when summer finally gets there, afternoon thunderstorms ruin most of the bandimere events. the only up side to Denver is Bandimere, and the car scene was always great. cruising Longmont every fri and sat, tower rd every sunday night for street racing.

From there we moved to Texas, only lasted a year cause, **** HUMIDITY that's because. too many bugs, too much humidity, very nice roads, too much humidity, super nice people, did I mention its ****ing humid. the human body is not equipped to deal with humidity.

Lived in Boise also, great great place if you can find work.

Honestly there is nothing like socal coastal weather. its just perfect, a little humid but never 100deg with 90% like Texas. If you can afford it, CA is perfect.

That's right we have no jobs here, Plus we are almost full. About to get a second area code lol

Users who are viewing this thread