Best place to get MGW shifter?

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
I have seen the MGW shifter on the web before where the distributor was also throwing in CobraBob's shifter gaskets for around $180. Now I can't find the site again. Anyone know who this is so I can place the order? Or know of a better/cheaper place to order from? Thanks in advance :beer:

YoungJim

Established Member
Ordering

I ordered mine direct from them, went from Georgia to bum-fug-nowhere northern Alberta, in a *week*. I wasn't expecting it this month! I also ordered one of Bob's gaskets separately, I expect it pretty quick too. My only beefs with the MGW are:

It'll be hidden under the boot, which is a shame, considering how well its cut out, and the fact that I won't be able to enjoy it until my motor gets fixed! :D It really is a great-looking piece of kit, you can't go wrong for the money. Mine was USD 201 shipped, but that was with shipping to Canada. My 0.02. Jim.

SICKBOY

Established Member
mine came with bob's gaskets from MGW, do they still do that?

Last edited:

YoungJim

Established Member
SICKBOY said:
mine came with bob's gaskets form MGW they still do that?

Mine didn't. I read somewhere it was to do with the factory using sealant, so thats what they wanted to do. I think when I put mine in I'll scare up some really thin spacers, so that the bolts will tighten down properly, and not squish the gasket all the way. If I can find something suitable I'll take pictures. Jim.

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
Badgts said:
I have seen the MGW shifter on the web before where the distributor was also throwing in CobraBob's shifter gaskets for around $180. Now I can't find the site again. Anyone know who this is so I can place the order? Or know of a better/cheaper place to order from? Thanks in advance :beer:

MGW Site says they only sell direct. (Meaning no other dealers / distributors) someone claiming to be is not being honest, and it may be a knock-off or some other crap.

Just pony up the cash and buy the real thing from MGW or here in the "Market", but used they generally go for $170 so I would just as soon have new.

My .02

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
I'm looking for a place that sells this shifter WITH THE COBRABOB GASKET. MGW does not sell it with this gasket.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Yellow03-R said:
MGW Site says they only sell direct. (Meaning no other dealers / distributors) someone claiming to be is not being honest, and it may be a knock-off or some other crap.
Okay. I just saw this statement on their website. Perhaps that's why I can't find the other site/distributor now that I saw before. Problem solved. Thanks!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Badgts said:
I'm looking for a place that sells this shifter WITH THE COBRABOB GASKET. MGW does not sell it with this gasket.
Just buy the gasket direct from me. It's only $5.00.
http://stangshiftergaskets.com/

In response to YoungJim's post above, the gasket is designed for this application, so the bolts can be properly tightened without the gaskets being damaged or "squished". I just got an email yesterday from someone here who has pulled his shifter three times and reused the gasket each time. Looks like new he said. The gasket does work very well. Of course the biggest advantage is that it quiets down the shifter.

TRBO VNM

MGW is only direct as stated above. they use to come with Bob's gasket, but not anymore. I don't know why and that is a question for MGW and Bob. Either way, buy the shifter direct and the gaskets direct.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
George stopped including my gasket because the use of a gasket is not done by the factory. So it is understandable that a shifter manufacturer would prefer to use the same sealing method as the factory. The sealer is also tacky which helps to eliminate the possibility of the bolts loosening. This is a very remote possibility and actually has also occurred with stock shifters using the sealant. Guess it depends on how the sealant was applied. This is one reason why I recommend using LocTite Blue on the bolt threads with a shifter gasket. Then you get the superior seal from the gasket (which is why so much of the shifter noise is eliminated) and a cleaner setup with no gunk to scrape off in the future. For the record, I've sold over 3,000 sets and have never had anyone report that the shifter bolts loosened.

Believe me, the gasket sets do their job very well. Buy this cheap mod and you won't be disappointed. Guaranteed!

Users who are viewing this thread