Best oil for New Edge GT?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Amsoil (a full synthetic) is a great oil choice. Not always easy to find, but a great choice.

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
Check autozone or walmart, they usually have good deals on bulk oil (and by bulk I mean a 5 quart jug).

I spend under $50 for 7 quarts of M1 with their filter.

This.

I get the 5 quart jug from Walmart which is about $25 when it's not on sale. I buy a few of them at a time when it's on sale for $20 or $22.

1hot281

Established Member
0w-30 full synth. Any brand

0w lubricates better at start up, unless you live on the surface of the sun, in which case 0w is too thin.

30 weight protects better at operating temp

Ford switched to 20 weight to eek out an extra MPG or two across their entire production range. If you drive hard or drive in a fairly hot climate, 20 weight is too thin in my opinion. Nothing internally changed with the motor, so why change the oil to a 5w-20? Google it.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy, in your experience do the vast majority of oil changes at dealerships use the synthetic blend? I know when I had my '03 Cobra my dealer never offered the full synthetic. Only the blend.

No way for me to know that Bob.

I know locally of at least two LARGE Ford dealers that do NOT have Motorcraft oil in the bulk tanks.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Hate to burst you bubble but most "Synthetic" now a days is still a blend. Pennzoil Platinum is the best stuff for it's price.

All oils are a blend, even SAE straight weights.

The category of "Synthetic" has been altered some with the addition of the hydro cracked stuff.

The oils labeled as "Synthetic Blend" are an even more nebulous category.

"Best stuff for it's price" = gigantic can of worms, OPENED!:-D

0w lubricates better at start up, unless you live on the surface of the sun, in which case 0w is too thin.

Ford switched to 20 weight to eek out an extra MPG or two across their entire production range. If you drive hard or drive in a fairly hot climate, 20 weight is too thin in my opinion. Nothing internally changed with the motor, so why change the oil to a 5w-20? Google it.

I hear what you're saying but why would a company like Amsoil for example, recommend 0w-20 for New Edge Cobras and even for Terminators in an 0w-20 oil could fail to protect in a hot climate or harsh driving conditions? I mean I'm sure they know about the driving habits of the aforementioned cars.

Last edited:

bleedout

Established Member

+1, im with him on this one:beer:

spike_africa

Established Member
Mobil 1 and I change it every 7-10k miles. I have 106k on my car now and I have sprayed it with a 125/150 hit since it had 28k. There ya go.

Users who are viewing this thread