Best oil for New Edge GT?

2002_GT

Established Member
Hey guys, I have recently purchased a 2002 GT. It now has 97K on it and is ready for an oil change. I was just curious to see what you guys feel is the best oil to run in it?

Keith Stone

Banned
Oil is oil. Don't waste your money on the more "premium" oils. As long as it's a fully synthetic 5W20 then you'll be fine.

2002_GT

Established Member
Yeah I decided to go with Mobil-1 5W-20, cost $60 for 6 quarts and the filter but worth it.

RedFord96

Established Member
Mine calls for 5w-30... unless Ford changed the recommendation for the new edges.

LS2GTO

Established Member
eah I decided to go with Mobil-1 5W-20, cost $60 for 6 quarts and the filter but worth it.

Check autozone or walmart, they usually have good deals on bulk oil (and by bulk I mean a 5 quart jug).

I spend under $50 for 7 quarts of M1 with their filter.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
By premium I meant Penzoil, Mobile 1, etc.

I use Motorcraft, which is obviously synthetic, the exact same oil Ford put into these cars from the factory.

6 quarts of Motocraft = $35

6 quarts of Mobil 1 = $60

Just to clarify. The Motorcraft is a synthetic blend, compared to a full synthetic like Mobil 1.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
By premium I meant Penzoil, Mobile 1, etc.

I use Motorcraft, which is obviously synthetic, the exact same oil Ford put into these cars from the factory.

:dw:

Synthetic Blend is not the same as Synthetic or Full Synthetic.

Motorcraft makes both types, Synthetic Blend and Full Synthetic.

You have to ask for Full Synthetic at a dealer if you want it, the Synthetic Blend is the everyday normal stuff, though some dealers don't even use Motorcraft products in the bulk oil they sell, so buyer be ware.

Top tier Synthetic oils are worth the extra money, for a rather large list of reasons.:beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Jimmy, in your experience do the vast majority of oil changes at dealerships use the synthetic blend? I know when I had my '03 Cobra my dealer never offered the full synthetic. Only the blend.

Solopony

Established Member
Hate to burst you bubble but most "Synthetic" now a days is still a blend. Pennzoil Platinum is the best stuff for it's price.

Users who are viewing this thread