best intercooler for cobra 2004?

ellia

after changing my intercooler pump and the heat exchanger i still have the same problem supercharger overheat, after 3 hour of investigating i found that the problem from the intercooler the one under the blower it was full of rust and its not allowing water to pass from it. we tried to clean it but it didnt work i think i need a new one.

the problem is i cant find a oem part only one after market from lfp is it a good intercooler or there is somthing better

IMG-20180324-WA0067.jpg
IMG-20180324-WA0066.jpg
IMG-20180324-WA0065.jpg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Back in the day LFP use to make great products for the lightnings and cobras. The only issues i hear now is about there customer service. But ive had great luck with there products. Is there intercooler upgraded? Also replace all the hoses and clean out or replace the reservoir. The nasty stuff that is on your intercooler you dont want on your new one or heat exchanger.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Yes Griffin should be able to build one. Other than that maybe a stock unit off of Ebay. I wouldn't recommend LFP just from past personal experience.

Quick Strike

Established Member
You might want to try having a radiator shop flush it before you give up on the intercooler. That would be much cheaper if it works.

Zemedici

Established Member
I use LFP through my shop and haven’t had any issues, Mark is a good guy.

I put one of his inter coolers on my 04 when i discovered mine was cracked

@HudsonFalcon when did you have issues?

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I use LFP through my shop and haven’t had any issues, Mark is a good guy.

I put one of his inter coolers on my 04 when i discovered mine was cracked

@HudsonFalcon when did you have issues?

Last year. Bought a polished intercooler tank from him. Had a huge, very obvious, scratch across the top of it. Shipped it back to Mark and he gave me the run around on the replacement.

Zemedici

Established Member
Last year. Bought a polished intercooler tank from him. Had a huge, very obvious, scratch across the top of it. Shipped it back to Mark and he gave me the run around on the replacement.

Did you get it replaced? That’s no bueno - sorry to hear that

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I'm guessing the whole intercooler is not full of rust but rather silicate deposits from Ford's silica based coolant. This shows exactly why you need to change the coolant.

Ellia - I would take to a radiator shop and ask them if there ultrasound cleaner and special chemical flushes for silica based build up will clean it out.
My buddy just had a 3 core radiator pressure tested and cleaned for 60 bucks.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

ellia

I'm guessing the whole intercooler is not full of rust but rather silicate deposits from Ford's silica based coolant. This shows exactly why you need to change the coolant.

Ellia - I would take to a radiator shop and ask them if there ultrasound cleaner and special chemical flushes for silica based build up will clean it out.
My buddy just had a 3 core radiator pressure tested and cleaned for 60 bucks.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

i will give it a try its in the radiator shop right now

i bought the car from someone in this website in market fourm i trusted him and told a friend to buy it for me and ship it to my country .. 87 miles with clean title and one owner :) .. when the car arrived i have changed the oil and use it for one day then the engine start doing wierd sounds and the surprize is the engine is gone because the oil pump is full of rust and every kind of dirt you can imagine so i purchase a new engine new block cams crank shaft ...etc .. not only the engine im still exploring privous owner shit .. latley we found the intercooler problem..

i hope i can restore it .. its my dream car so i cant give up on it

SVT-04

Established Member
Sorry to read of the problems you're having. I just bought my first 04 in December and for what I paid I could easily have gotten into a newer GT but it wouldn't have been a Terminator. Hope everything works out for you. It will definitely be worth it in the end.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
I’m sorry to heard that .
i will give it a try its in the radiator shop right now

i bought the car from someone in this website in market fourm i trusted him and told a friend to buy it for me and ship it to my country .. 87 miles with clean title and one owner :) .. when the car arrived i have changed the oil and use it for one day then the engine start doing wierd sounds and the surprize is the engine is gone because the oil pump is full of rust and every kind of dirt you can imagine so i purchase a new engine new block cams crank shaft ...etc .. not only the engine im still exploring privous owner shit .. latley we found the intercooler problem..

i hope i can restore it .. its my dream car so i cant give up on it

GodStang

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread