Best heat exchanger for weekend driving?

jfried

Established Member
If anyone knows how keeping the HE fans off ruins the car, I'm interested in knowing.

I'm not debating the fans vs no fans issues, we all know the fans cool better, but how does leaving them off blow motors??? I have read this forum every day for the last few years, and never heard of this, nor does it make sense, especially considering you can buy a HE without fans.

The fans are mounted (almost) directly to the heat exchanger itself.

If the fans aren't allowed to run, presumably the heat exchanger will get hotter, potentially melting/damaging the fans?

jfried

Established Member
If anyone knows how keeping the HE fans off ruins the car, I'm interested in knowing.

I'm not debating the fans vs no fans issues, we all know the fans cool better, but how does leaving them off blow motors??? I have read this forum every day for the last few years, and never heard of this, nor does it make sense, especially considering you can buy a HE without fans.

The fans are mounted (almost) directly to the heat exchanger itself.

If the fans aren't allowed to run, presumably the heat exchanger will get hotter, potentially melting/damaging the fans?

filthymcnasty

Established Member

I believe what he is referring to is the performance of the car is "ruined". Although, I'm not sure how the performance of a factory performance car can be entirely "ruined". I guess if you are used to driving an 800 hp street monster to work everyday, then performance is relative. For the average schmo like myself, I can't even get close to driving it to the factory limits on the street, nor do I race for money. So, everyone saying that running a bigger heat exchanger is a must do,...not sure I agree with that (and this is coming from someone that used to run a C&R before going back to stock). But, blowing money on mods was fun too ;-)

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member

I'm interested in this as well. We got by for years with the 03/04 cobras with the most popular and largest HE being the LFP which is tiny in comparison to anything for these cars. That HE would support 900HP, strokers with close to the same CI as these cars as well as blowers that were equally efficient or inefficient as the options on these. The M112 probably actually makes more heat that the M122. The only issue those cars saw from heat was the #7-8 cylinders and that was a design flaw that was easily corrected with a coolant crossover tube installed across the rear. They never had any other major issues from not having fans.

I'm not denying that fans will do some good, especially while sitting. I just have to wonder if they're as much of a requirement as some people make them out to be. Is there something about these motors that make heat (that should be less than a comparable 03/04 setup) more of a problem than before?

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
It would seem to me that having fans would be best, but necessarily necessary unless the car is being driven hard all the time. But what do I know, I 'm new at this supercharger thing. I just wonder about the fans being on all the time with the noise that they make while you are at idle. My neighbor has a Trans Am big block with a pair of electric fans that run all the time and it sounds like an airplane from the front of the car.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

I would also guess that it is the performance of the car that is ruined as the heat builds and the power goes down, and the car pulling with you pulls away laughing that they beat a GT500...........when the reality is that they didn't have a stronger car, it was that the heat ruined the GT500's performance. <<<But that does not matter to the winner, they won, the heat soaked GT500 lost.......that is it.

R

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
On a high HP car, I'd want them on all the time. You might want to hit the gas, after a long wait in traffic, and you could be in trouble, especially if it was tuned that way.

Last edited:

svtpolice

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Just my .02

Bj might have been referring to the performance being ruined or maybe the car as well. I figured this....

If a person starts playing with then the fans come on and they don't come on as they are supposed to, but your tuner has set the timing to change at a higher temperature (being they are expecting the fans to come on at a certain point and they don't) I would think that would be a bad situation. Running a bunch of timing with extreme intake air temperatures. I realize we have knock sensors to pull timing when we are starting to knock due to too much timing. However at minimum I would think it would ruin performance.

I could be totally off base, but it was just a thought.

Kenneth

Established Member
My opinion on what Bj was referencing.
For some reason people will wire it on a toggle switch to turn on/off at will.
Than they don't turn on (forget the switch) at some point and cause extreme heat, If not monitoring heat you can cause damage to motor/supercharger.

May be far off on this.

greb87

Established Member
Just my .02

Bj might have been referring to the performance being ruined or maybe the car as well. I figured this....

If a person starts playing with then the fans come on and they don't come on as they are supposed to, but your tuner has set the timing to change at a higher temperature (being they are expecting the fans to come on at a certain point and they don't) I would think that would be a bad situation. Running a bunch of timing with extreme intake air temperatures. I realize we have knock sensors to pull timing when we are starting to knock due to too much timing. However at minimum I would think it would ruin performance.

I could be totally off base, but it was just a thought.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the fans are interlocked to come on with the IC pump? In which case a toggle switch would turn off both the IC pumps and fans. No coolant flow through the IC during spirited driving would cause high IAT2's, timing pull, possible detonation etc etc... I could be off as well. Anyway, good luck with your H/E install, I just put my VMP triple pass in last weekend and it is awesome.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Thanks for all of the input guys.

I ordered the VMP H/E and larger tank, 2.5 Pulley upgrade, VMP Tune, O/R X pipe, and spark plugs.

Actually talked to BJ. Very nice guy.

Excited to see the results.

Next round will be a VMP TB, and maybe larger Intake.

Then one day TVS.
Thanks for your trust and business.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

VNMOUS1

Established Member
How does not having the fan on, ruin the car, especially considering the stock HE didn't have a fan?

So, at worst the upgraded HE will just act like "a bigger stock one". I could see not having the pump on, ruining the car, but you would be spitting coolant all over the windshield that would alert you something isn't right.
Ruined means hole in a piston, head lifted, rebuild. This is for full throttle use.

The factory heat exchanger is not sufficient to safely make full stock power for very long.

Add power and the window of safety is shorter.

Ford factory cal pulls timing at 110f (since iat2 average is 30 over ambient, and on an 80 degree day you are pulling timing in the driveway).

When you run a performance heat exchanger and colder thermostat you can raise the temp threshold so it doesn't pull timing as quickly.

So, you decide for whatever reason to outsmart the system and toggle the fans. You get to the tree for a pass, nail it and at about 1000 feet your temps spike through the roof because you didn't cool your fluids with the added benefit of the fans while you were in the lanes.

Will you blow it up because you forget to turn them on when you go to Dairy Queen? No. But again, why screw with a system that was designed optimally to work a particular way.

As to the Shelby vs VMP question.
Its C&R and has the Shelby tax.

It has 10" fans, two passes and no plug n play harnesses.

Ours are 11 inch Spal fans, triple pass and pnp harnesses.

You can get the 11" fan version from Shelby /C&R but now you are over a grand!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dynobrat

Established Member
Why is there such a debate over this? Stop trying to reinvent the wheel with what you believe or don't believe. Upgraded heat exchangers WORK. If you are into boost,THEY WORK. If you go into boost, you create heat. If you drive and stop, you will see a rise in temperatures without vs with an upgraded unit. The cooler the temperatures, the more power you can make and continue to make AT ALL TIMES. Is an upgraded heat exchanger a requirement? No. If you don't push the car maybe you don't need to upgrade. And in that instance, WHO CARES? You obviously don't NEED TO upgrade if you don't push the car. It doesn't matter to anyone else but you what you do, what you think, or what your opinion on what the benefit is. Bottom line is, it's a SMART choice to upgrade, regardless of your driving style. You cannot LOSE upgrading cooling systems on a supercharged vehicle. It's a no-brainer and people should not be beating a dead horse. If you don't think it's a requirement that doesn't make you wrong. But once you compare proven data then you will appreciate the difference instead of casting doubt onto others.

Having the fans on all the time doesn't hurt a damn thing either. These upgrades are designed FOR YOUR BENEFIT. If you don't believe it, there are other hobbies you can get into.

Last edited:

greb87

Established Member
Ocq9ysE.jpg VMP triple pass... without the shelby tax!

Users who are viewing this thread