Best heat exchanger for weekend driving?

svtpolice

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Hey guys, so I am getting a tune. I have a 170Tstat and an looking for a heat exchanger.

Not sure which one to get. VMP has a nice triple pass and dual fans, however AFCO has a nice double pass with fans.

She gets driven on the weekends, no track use.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

barspen

Established Member
You'll be good with either C&R or VMP HE. Many forum members have had success with both.

STACKZ89

Established Member
I personally went with a Afco dual pass and it works great as always.. I didn't go fans because the fans will only work when stopped not when cruising on hwy so to me waste of money.. I've had my car out numourous times already and driving hard and I havnt notice the heat gauge go up at all..!

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Are the fans thermostatically controlled or are they on all the time?

Both. Sort of. We set them at around 100f so they're pretty much always on. I've had my twin 10" Spals running continuously for over 7 years. Non issue as for the life of them.

We HIGHLY suggest they never be switched nor jumpered to 'off'. We've seen cars be ruined (we were one of them) by trying to be smarter than a system that works very well. Not saying that's what you have in mind, but it's a question we address weekly, so....................for the good of all the cool kids here, a little factoid.

bj

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
How does not having the fan on, ruin the car, especially considering the stock HE didn't have a fan?

So, at worst the upgraded HE will just act like "a bigger stock one". I could see not having the pump on, ruining the car, but you would be spitting coolant all over the windshield that would alert you something isn't right.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
How does not having the fan on, ruin the car, especially considering the stock HE didn't have a fan?

So, at worst the upgraded HE will just act like "a bigger stock one". I could see not having the pump on, ruining the car, but you would be spitting coolant all over the windshield that would alert you something isn't right.

No debate here. Do what you wish.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys, so I am getting a tune. I have a 170Tstat and an looking for a heat exchanger.

Not sure which one to get. VMP has a nice triple pass and dual fans, however AFCO has a nice double pass with fans.

She gets driven on the weekends, no track use.

Opinions?

Thanks!

If you're just spirited driving on weekends with a tune and thermostat, why bother with the upgrade? No other bolt-ons, right?

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
If you're just spirited driving on weekends with a tune and thermostat, why bother with the upgrade? No other bolt-ons, right?

He should bother. Actually Ford should've bothered with a better H/E.
When my car was still in OR, it had full power for the first 5 minutes and then it felt like it lost 200hp. Thats in 60-70 F weather and stock.
The first thing I did is upgrade the H/E and it was completely transformed.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
He should bother. Actually Ford should've bothered with a better H/E.
When my car was still in OR, it had full power for the first 5 minutes and then it felt like it lost 200hp. Thats in 60-70 F weather and stock.
The first thing I did is upgrade the H/E and it was completely transformed.

Precisely.

bj

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
HE is a good first round of mods and yes you want fans, testing was done years ago with and without fans and temps were cooler with. You want to do it right the first time, the only hard part really was the wiring. Now that vmp has the the plug n play and will update your tune it's an easy choice.

svtpolice

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Thanks for all of the input guys.

I ordered the VMP H/E and larger tank, 2.5 Pulley upgrade, VMP Tune, O/R X pipe, and spark plugs.

Actually talked to BJ. Very nice guy.

Excited to see the results.

Next round will be a VMP TB, and maybe larger Intake.

Then one day TVS.

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
Thanks for all of the input guys.

I ordered the VMP H/E and larger tank, 2.5 Pulley upgrade, VMP Tune, O/R X pipe, and spark plugs.

Actually talked to BJ. Very nice guy.

Excited to see the results.

Next round will be a VMP TB, and maybe larger Intake.

Then one day TVS.

Please post up your results after the mods! I am looking at getting the same stuff done, but the ac crapped out in the house, so gotta get that replaced first...:kaboom:

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
Not to hijack but how does the VMP compare to the Shelby aftermarket unit? I don't see it mentioned here. When I was researching a while back it seemed to be the most recommended even over the AFCO.

Assuming price in no object which is the best of them for all around use?

barspen

Established Member
I believe the Shelby branded HE is made by C&R. Van would be able to provide additional details.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
If anyone knows how keeping the HE fans off ruins the car, I'm interested in knowing.

I'm not debating the fans vs no fans issues, we all know the fans cool better, but how does leaving them off blow motors??? I have read this forum every day for the last few years, and never heard of this, nor does it make sense, especially considering you can buy a HE without fans.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread