Best heads for 03/04

lurchdawg81

H8R-ADE
Established Member
Just wondering what the best aftermarket heads are for the termy motor? Havent heard much about it so just wondering.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
lurchdawg81 said:
Just wondering what the best aftermarket heads are for the termy motor? Havent heard much about it so just wondering.
The updated hi flow heads SVT came out with to combat head tick. Thank god I have them b/c they are a bit pricey.

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
actually svt didnt come out with squat.

the revised heads carry an aviator part number and a casting date of 01/05 or later. the only flow thats improved is the coolant passages.

the "good" heads are the 00r/ford gt/gt500/fr500c grand am cup engine heads but the intake manifold for a normal 4.6 dohc does not bolt up.

Last edited:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
actually svt didnt come out with squat.

the revised heads carry an aviator part number and a casting date of 01/05 or later. the only flow thats improved is the coolant passages.
The "revised heads were the one I was referring to. So indeed the "revised" heads are better then the initial heads that came out. The "revised heads" have a different flow pattern to them. Correct? :beer:

ShelbyGuy said:
the "good" heads are the 00r/ford gt/gt500/fr500c grand am cup engine heads but the intake manifold for a normal 4.6 dohc does not bolt up.
If it doesn't bolt up then how does this apply. Aren't we talking about heads that apply to the 03/04 Cobras? :shrug:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The revised heads have better coolant flow ... not air flow.
They also have more spark plug threads... which helps pull heat out of the chamber, plus makes it much harder to blow plugs out!

Dollar for dollar... the best power bang for the buck will always be boost.
Not cams
Not porting
Not headers
Not different heads... except that the revised cooling heads in theory would allow for a more aggressive tune with elevated boost since detonation caused by heat would be delayed somewhat.

That's one of the reasons certain cooling mods make sense also. To suppress the detonation thresh hold.

There are no aftermarket heads for a reason... We already have the best 4.6 based DOHC 32V heads!!! :rockon:

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Ford Racing does make performance cylinder heads for the 4.6 motor:

"FORD RACING HIGH-FLOW 4.6L DOHC 4V MUSTANG COBRA CYLINDER HEADS

When we decided to sell Aftermarket Performance cylinder head the decision was easy! Ford Racing High-Flow 4.6L DOHC 4V Mustang Cobra Bare Cylinder Heads were the choice; these are the same heads that are used on the Ford Racing Performance Parts “FR500” Mustang. This project car has been featured in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Magazine, Car & Driver Magazine and 5.0 Mustang Magazines.

Designed to fits 99-04 4.6L DOHC 4V Mustang Cobra and also the 96-98 4.6L DOHC 4V Mustang Cobra with a production 99-01 Cobra intake. Ford Racing High-Flow 4.6L DOHC 4V Improved high-flow port design. Air flow increased approximately 20% intake and 15% exhaust over production heads and can be used with stock 1999-04 or Ford Racing intake and exhaust manifolds, cams, valves, springs, retainers and followers.

Features :

Up to 60 HP increase over stock production heads
Air flow increased approximately 20% intake
15% exhaust over production heads
Can use stock cams, valves, springs, retainers and followers
No Exchange Required"

They also make a high-lift camshaft kit for these heads:

"FORD RACING HIGH-LIFT CAMSHAFT KIT
for the 4.6L DOHC 4V MUSTANG COBRA CYLINDER HEADS

In order to maximize the performance potential of the high-flow cylinder heads, Ford Racing recommends their higher lift camshafts. Contained in the kit are all components necessary to utilize these improved profiles (including valves and springs). These camshafts provide excellent power right to the fuel cutoff at 7000 RPM, and actually bolster low-end torque as well. Drivability on the street is superior to production cams.

Because it is necessary to install new valves with these cams, it is recommended that this kit be purchased and installed at the same time as the cylinder heads. Cam specs: lift 472, intake duration 258°, exhaust duration 254°, 109° center line.

Contained in this kit :

4 Ford Racing Camshafts
472 Lift Camshafts with
intake duration 258°
exhaust duration 254°
109° center line
32 High Lift Springs and retainers
16 Stainless Steel Intake and Exhaust Valves
32 cam followers and all components necessary to utilize these improved profiles."

Total price for the heads and the camshift kit is around $3K, so they're NOT cheap.

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Actually $3000 isnt too bad for that kit considering that stock heads cost you $1400, high lift springs and retainers would run you $1000 and the cams would run in the neighborhood of $1000 drpending on the grind. None of which includes new valves or the extras you listed in the setup. Installation is what kills most people. I wish I knew of this kit while my heads were off the car. It actually sounds like a good deal.

Last edited:

- Aj -

Established Member
People have tried those heads on the Cobras but they dont seem to do much. :shrug:

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Yeah the FR-500 heads I think have a slightly better intake port I believe. The SHM book goes into great detail about the ports ect. The stock heads do a great job and with some port work ROCK. But this is not huge bang-for-buck mods. Like shelbyguy and Jimmy said the updated avaitor heads rock due to the increased cooling and sparkplug threads.
Any of the 5.4 head castings are sweet and "better" but will cost an arm and a leg and also will run into intake problems...

MikeW

Established Member
*Jimmysidecarr Question

So If I have 1st run heads that seem to have valve seals or guides going out would I be able to have them rebuilt to the "new head" spec's? Or would the coolant flow still be an issue?

MikeW

Established Member
Yeah my heads do only have 4-5 threads... So it would be best to get the Jan 05 heads and turn my stockers in as cores?

New heads will be my next mod so i can ditch the smoke.....

WDW MKR

Established Member
You can sell your stock heads for a lot more than you'll get in core exchange. Many head porters buy them, go through a rebuild, then sell them. The core return from Ford is only to recycle the metals.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Venomous01 said:
The updated hi flow heads SVT came out with to combat head tick. Thank god I have them b/c they are a bit pricey.

I take it you had them replaced under warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread