Best Front and Rear Brake Kit for 17" rims

Ryushin

Established Member
At first I was going to post this in another thread, but I did not want to hijack it.

I'm planning on running 17x10.5" wheels with a 3/8" hub centric spacers and 315s on all four corners. What is the best brake kit that fits 17" wheels? I was wanting to go with a big brake kit, but it needs 18" wheels. That was no problem, but the tire selection for 18" wheels was limited and expensive. So I'm staying with the 17" wheels. If I remember right, Wilwood makes a 13" 6 piston brake kit that is "supposed" to fit 17" wheels.
Wilwood Street Big Brake Kits : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
I would still need to figure out what I'm going to do with the rear. I will be keeping the emergency brake, so the kit has to be compatible with it.

The Grigg's kit is probably my top choice right now. Though I hope they will stay in business as I don't want to do this twice.
Griggs Racing Products - NAVBAR_TITLE

Any other ideas and considerations that anyone can think of?

racebronco2

Established Member
Do you really need better brakes or you just want better brakes? I used the stock calipers with a really good pad along with brake ducts. Worked fine until i was able to get the cobra 'R' calipers on sale for 550.00 shipped. I have had several people comment after riding in my car at the track how well my car stopped. Brutal braking and acceleration is what a few of them said. I have driven a couple of mustang with the wilwoods on them and they would be my second choice only because they cost so much more.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
enjoy replacing your front wheel bearings twice a year with that combo

Welcome back John!:rockon::beer:
Missed your posts.:thumbsup:

Wides and spacers with sticky tires will in fact trash wheel bearings sooner.
I have read about some NASA guys that have taken new bearing apart and greased them with a supposedly superior grease and extended the life a good bit.

They still bring spare hubs to the track though.

The Roush Alcon 14" kit fit's inside a 95 Cobra R R58 17" wheel but not the 03/04 Cobra wheel.
Unfortunately they have been sold out for almost a year. Which sucks because the caliper adapters could be machined or shimmed to work with GT500 rotors at a fraction of the cost of the Roush rotors.
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pr...lete-Front-Rear-Brake-Kit---Out-Of-Stock.html

Not my car.
17x9CobraRover14inchRoushAlconbr-1.jpg

17x9CobraRover14inchRoushAlconbrake.jpg

BTW Spending money on rear brake upgrades, is kind of a waste of money, unless all this is for appearance concerns.

Last edited:

greengt88

Established Member
cant go wrong with m-2300-x brembos, had mine for over a year and love them everytime i push the pedal. they saved my ass more then once also, damn florida drivers, glad im back above the mason-dixon line for good.

Users who are viewing this thread