best engine to put into 1993 cobra

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
A guy around me has a 351W in his 93 cobra and it hauls ASS!! He has a 2 inch cowl with everything else stock (on the outside). I have never heard any car sound so sweet. Those 351's have one hell of a roar to them! Ive seen him race a couple of times against other cobras, vettes, and H/C f-bodies...never seen the guy lose. I say 351W.

Andrew

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
If you want to get more than 40k miles out of it, go no higher than a 306 unless you jump up to a 351. I have done a lot checking on the stroker scene ( because I am sure that my motor will go out within a year) and I don't like what I see. 331's do have a way better rod ratio than a 347 but from I have scene from people's cars you will still be lucky to see 50k miles out of it. For me that is not enough mileage for the money.

1qwkpny

Established Member
Personally having run almost everything from 302-306-331-347 and now my 427cuin 351w.stroker I will never go back to anything smaller. First off only a dedicated ford nut is going to know the difference between a 302 and a 351w matter a fact it is very difficult to tell the difference unless you know what to look for and beleive me most people don't have a clue. If you want to do it right go to a good shop like D&D motorsports, dss, coast high performance, Jimmy larocca, etc etc and have them put a motor together for you, the conversion kit like pan oilpump etc can be purchased from ford motorsport. The last 347 I had developed an oil burning problem after about 30000miles, but that was before they had the taller pistons and 5.3## conn. rods that you need to still come up w/347 those kits are the best. So if you go 347(cheaper by the way) then make sure the kit you get doesnt use the 5.4inch connecting rods.

EH819

Established Member
1qwkpny, how many miles do you have on your 427 351w stroker and how is it driveability wise? Also, about how much power are you making with it?

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Oh I just noticed that Ford had aluminum blocks now?!!!! In that case I think you have to do an all aluminum 351- stroked to 427. With a vortech breathing for it! I think yt trim!:burnout:

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I say go for an EFI version of this:

430 HP bracket race GT-40 aluminum head long block engine assembly.

Complete Engine - V-belt water pump.

392 cubic inch. 430 Bhp @ 5500 RPM (with headers, and a 750 cfm Holley carburetor not included). 450 ft/lbs of torque @ 4000 RPM. 9.7:1 compression ratio (nominal). Ford Racing aluminum GT-40 cylinder heads M-6049-X303, and GT-40 valve train. Single plane "Victor Jr." intake manifold M-9424-V351. Great for limited budgets. It's the fast, easy way to add performance and reduce weight inhigh or low mileage vehicles. New heavy duty 5.8L "Sportsman" race block, oil and water pumps, dual sump oil pan, steel billet flywheel, and high performance harmonic balancer. Great engine for kit cars, street rods, Mustangs, Fox-bodied cars, and trucks. Depending on your application the timing cover and/or water pump, oil pan and pickup may need to be reused from your original engine. See installation notes.

Notes: Headers, carburetor, air cleaner and spark plug wires not included.

Look AtWhat You Get!

A new M-6010-A351 2-bolt main long block engine assembly. Custom built with the same quality controls as a new production engine that includes the block, crank, rods, pistons, timing chain, roller rocker arms, hydraulic roller tappets, push rods, oil pump and pickup, oil pan, M-6582-E302 valve covers, front cover, water pump, damper, flywheel, spark plugs, billet aluminum distributor and related long block engine parts - to which Ford Racing engineers have added: Ford Racing GT-40 aluminum cylinder heads. They flow significantly better than production 5.8L heads. Ford Racing GT-40 valve train kit. It includes springs, retainers, keepers, seals and premium stainless steel swirl polished valves with undercut stems. Intake valve diameter is 1.94" and exhaust valve diameter is 1.54". Ford Racing high performance hydraulic roller camshaft provides significant horsepower increases above 4000 RPM and good mid range torque. Valve lift is .566" intake and .576" exhaust. Duration at .050" is 232 degrees intake and 240 degrees exhaust.

Installation notes:

Some or all of the following items may need to be changed from your original engine or modified for proper installation: This engine has a dual sump oil pan and pickup, Mustang/truck timing cover and water pump, and EFI valve covers. The dual sump oil pan may work for many late model Fox chassis cars, 1979-95 Mustangs and early model street rods. The Mustang/truck timing chain cover may work for 1979-93 Mustang, and most 1987-96 trucks. M-6059-D351 replacement front cover may work for most other common applications. The water pump may work for most 5.0/5.8L serpentine reverse rotation or V-belt standard rotation applications. The valve covers (M-6582-E302) should fit most Mustang and other non-EFI applications. The damper assembly may require a spacer for pulley alignment. The flywheel should work for most 157-tooth manual transmission applications. For C-4 or C-6 automatic transmission applications use the proper 164-tooth flexplate, from your local Ford Dealer. Firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 (5.0L HO and 351W order). Built with current production parts. Photo and specs may vary. Shipping weight approximately 545 lbs.

For more information call the tech "hot line"at (810)468-1356.

5.8L 351/392 cid SB 430hp GT-40, vb

Last edited:

93Cobra4v

Established Member
BADASS.jpg

I went the 03 motor route...

93Cobra4v

Established Member
headers.jpg

collect.jpg

Actually I am alot farther along. Just have to make a new trans mount and wire up the stand alone... The setup is a built AOD, Kooks headers.

Last edited:

93COBRA2104

Established Member
I say keep it as stock looking as possible. That way when you blow the doors clean off your opponent, you can keep them guessing on how you did it.........OR.......Show them your "stock" engine and hussle them.

Crush your apponent-:bash:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
The highest-output engine available in the 2003 Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog...

1qwkpny

Established Member
driveability is just fine, it has just over 3k on it. power wise it pulled 523rwhp or roughly 612 hp at the flywheel and it is pretty mild to say the least. I spent most of my money in porting my afr 185's , custom cam, and tunning w/my eec tuner.

Nordi

I'll never grow up!
Established Member
I have been doing a lot of research lately on strokers because I am about to build one. I am going to stay with the 302 block. That way I can say, "Look, it just has heads and intake":rollseyes The most I will push it is 331. The reason is even with the slightly shorter rods in the 347, it's still only good for 45,000-50,000 miles max and then will need rings. However a 331 is good for 90,000-100,000 without needing overhauled. Obviously the biggest determining factor is how you drive it, but tese are average numbers I have found. A 331 with AFR heads, Trick Flow Track Heat intake, X-303 cam, long tubes, and 1.7 roller rockers is good for around 475 HP fuel injected. The carburated one is good for 430 or so. Both running pump gas at 10.5:1. I have a buddy who runs a 331 in a 90 coupe that turn's high 11's. That's with full interior and full metal body.

1qwkpny

Established Member
I think its lunati that offers a 350cuin stroker that I think 5.0 mustangs&fast fords is doing something with.

Last edited:

BlownStroker

Established Member
My suggestion would be one that is cost effective. You can find a stock Mustang 302 motor at a junk yard for like $300 and for like a total of like $1900 which you can have J&E pistons and the motor rebuilt. which leavse room for the heads ect..... You can find good heads for a good price. I have personally seen a guy running a stock motor with better pistons slightly higher compression, ported Cobra intake,Trick Flow Heads (not my preference), and B-303 cam, headers, exhaust , and gears run 12.9's @ the track. He said the tuning was a little tricky,but you will still need a MAF sensor and Throttle body, injectors ect..........

MTI LS1

I'm looking into getting a 93 Cobra, and was wondering how much power a 347 stroker can put out. Havent had much experience with these cars, so any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Zach

Users who are viewing this thread