best engine to put into 1993 cobra

1s9v9t3

Established Member
hey guys. I am new to this forum and I was looking for some advice on which engine combo I should put into my 1993 cobra. I bought it as a salvage title and am currently looking for an engine. I would reaaly like to go with a 351 efi but can only find 351 carb. I was wondering if y'all knew where i could find a nice 351 and what kind of power it would make. thanks alot

ObieFox

Established Member
If you don't want to run a 2" cowl hood, I would stick with a stroked 5.0 I'd do a 347 stroker with the stock cobra intake and valve covers so that I could tell everyone it was stock after I destroyed them!

Kevin

1s9v9t3

Established Member
yeah, that sounds like a good plan. thanks. do you know anywhere that I could get a 347 stroker and how much would it cost.

ObieFox

Established Member
Any decent shop can build you a nice 347. Plan on having about $5,000 in the motor and heads. The big HP is in the heads, so find a shop that does nice port work.

Kevin

1s9v9t3

Established Member
yeah but i have about $3000 right know for the engine. any recommendations on a site to buy a 351 windsor efi.

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
save up and get a crate 03 cobra motor. Add a pulley and say it comes stock. Some people might fall for it! lol

1s9v9t3

Established Member
what would you guys go with? a dss racing bullet or pro bullet 306 or 347. any help is much appreciated.

Black93Cobra

Established Member
Max HP would probably go to the 347 but I prefer the 331 for it's superior rod/stoke ratio. Some of the early 347's suffered from oil consumption issues due to the placement of the ring package. The latest versions seem to have solved that issue. Just as a point of reference. My '93 Coupe track car with a 331 DSS Kit, Edelbrock Heads with 1.90/1.60 valves, 10.5 to 1 compression, an E-cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, 36 lb injectors, FRPP shorty headers, X-Pipe and 2.5" Mac Cat-Back Kit made 360 RWHP at 6500 RPM. With a bigger cam and a better set of heads, 380 or better would have been possible. Either way, I don't think you will be disappointed. One thing to remember about DSS kits, they balance their engine with a 28oz (the old 302 style balance not the later 5.0L 50 oz balance). You will need a flywheel and balancer for a 28 oz application otherwise the engine will self-destruct. Best of luck!

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Well its not that hard to make a 351 into EFI, CHP has their spyder intake- and the 95 R's used I believe regular Cobra intakes, trick flow has 351 efi mainfolds, the wiring harness ya got should work with a chip- I believe.

Personally I'd do a 331incher with AFR's 165 or 185 heads and a suitable manifold/cam package.

Last edited:

Bosko

Established Member
351 All the way. Stroke it if you want. You will still have more cubic inches than if you stroke a 302. The 2 bolt bottem end is way stronger compared to a 2 bolt 302 block. But you should get the sportsman block. Its about 700 I THINK. Ford sells a Lower intake same as on the 351 lightining trucks its the staggered port gt-40 style. TFS also has a lower intake for it but It might only be for their upper, I dont remeber. You will also need a Distributer out of a lightining truck. And you might need a set of Headers unless the 302 headers work in the FOX body cars.

Sorry if I sound Bias. I have a 95 Cobra with a 351 in it. FRP 351 short block, TFS heads, Cobra Upper, lightining lower. It bolted right in. Used all the same accessory brackets. There are some sites on the internet that tell you all about the swap. And some vendors MMFF and 5.0 Mag have the conversion parts.

Heres a Pic of the engine I took along time ago. It looks like its stock, except for the polished stuff.

Last edited:

Black93Cobra

Established Member
Hey Bosko, sweet ride!! Umm...393 FRPP Crate Motor in the 4 cyl Mustang LX Coupe I've got sitting in my garage...the possibilities are endless...

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I hope this thread isn't too old to reply to.

I say 347. I looked into doing a 351 but the cost would be considerably higher due to having to buy a new hood, lower intake, Headers, distributor, brackets, and all the other BS.

I run mine on the street with a stock hood and stock wheels with the pipes running out the back. I haven't lost a street race yet. Camaros and Vettes get killed.

Users who are viewing this thread