Best CAI

doyle0304

Established Member
Had a KB cai on 04 cobra when I bought the car. Its the 4" corragated flex hose, inner fender style with 12" K and N filter. Just installed a 2.6 KB and the Idle is not good. Tuner did not like the flex hose, and the bends in there kit. Said it sends bad air flow to the mass air meter? Took it off and installed another customers K and N [ cold air kit]. This kit sets inside the engine bay. Idles good now. Was always told not to run this style on these cars because it pulls the hot engine bay air into blower instead of the cooler fender air. Car makes 605 rwhp. Dont want to move the mass air now that its been tuned. So what do you guys recommend for a CAI for this H.P range?

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i love the look of my K&N FIPK. looks completely stock which i like as well. i've heard the JLT is nice as well

beabout

Established Member
tuner is right about disturbed air going through the mass air sensor. At your power level the mass air is the final weak point. Its a thing called laminar flow that causes disruptions over the sensor. Get a system, does not matter from whom, that shortens the distance between the filter element and the mass air meter. As to your wanting to get cold air to the engine and not the hot engine compartment air, remove the passenger side headlight assembly when you do your track or dino runs.

good luck with your issues and let us know how it works out...

doyle0304

Established Member
The JLT high boost kit would work nice, but, like I said, I just spent a bunch a money getting everything tuned and dont really want to move the mass air meter. Doesnt this kit require the mass air to be relocated in the fender? I also read some where that it requires a retune also. Seems like most of the kits out there dont supply a large enough air filter for cars at 600hp and up. They seem to be for stock cobras? Am I asking for trouble by running a filter thats located in the engine compartment? KB is - REALLY - against those kits. Voids the warranty on the blowers because of the heat. Suggestions please.

doyle0304

Established Member
As stated, car was just tuned with a borrowed K&N FIPK system. If I went to a JLT Highboost CAI would I need to retune again? If so Im not interested. Anybody have a newer Steeda cai? Similar to the K&N setup. My original Kennybell cai with a 12" K&N and 4" flex hose idled bad. We tried this other style system [K&N] and it idles great now. Tuner likes the systems that are as close to the mass air as possible. The airs maybe not quite as cool, but better, straighter air flow. Hence the good idle. Need to buy a system soon. Help. Really like the looks of the JLT high boost, but????

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
JLT RAI w/shield or JLT High Boost CAI setup

Yes, you will need to pay attention to the o'clock of the maf and at least have the tune checked and likely a re-tune given the change.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
FIPK. Sorry I know people like the JLT and they seem to work good, but there fit llooks like shit in my opinion.

+1. i tried the jlt, it fit like crap and i was not impressed by it at all so i sent it back. i love my k&n fipk and have never had any issues with it.

QUICKRNU

Established Member
Not to steal thread

I have the RAI set up & like it must agree with u about Jlt Cai it fit like crap...Has anyone tried the S&B Intake with the clear cover over the filter????

doyle0304

Established Member
Anyone tried the steeda cai? Similar to the K&N FIPK. The K&N is a 9" filter, where the Steeda is a 7 1/2" powerstack. Just wondering if the 7 1/2" would flow enough air for 600+ rwhp?

Users who are viewing this thread