Bench racing: Heat Exchanger VS. Pulley/Tune for first mod.

Imatk

Established Member
Tune will change your car not to pull timing until 130 (depending on tune)

The question is do you want that?

I mean the ECU pulls timing for a reason... it gets hot, it pulls timing to keep the engine safe.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The factory timing leaves meat on the table in case some nitwit or broke-ass decides to fill up with 87/89 octane. (Although, I did have to fill up with 89 one time because 93 was nowhere to be found for a while thanks to that brief gas crisis. Poured a bottle of octane booster in it and hoped for the best.)

99SSls1

Established Member
To answer OP's "2. HP lost due to heat soak (on pulley and tune)". I did a recent back to back dyno pull with no dyno fan in 4th gear 2500-6200 and lost 10 hp on the 2 pull on my current set-up. No funny business of cool down or wiring the pump and it was 85ish outside.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone have real numbers on: 1. HP lost due to heat soak (stock) 2. HP lost due to heat soak (on pulley and tune) - HP gain with pulley and tune is pretty easy to find.

Here is what heat soak looks like on the dyno with the stock supercharger and stock intercooler system, 2.6" pulley, CAI, and tune. All runs were back-to-back with no cool down on a mid-60 degree day. You do feel the power loss on the street.

1_zpsabc05201.jpg

Last edited:

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
I would go pulley and tune for sure. Heat soak isn't a major issue if its a daily and you aren't trying to squeeze every ounce of hp out of the car on the way to work.

I'm running a tvs with a 2.4 and I daily drive my car. Only cooling mod I've done is the larger resevoir.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Isn't this dyno from a 08? Op has a 2011 and a different he.

Yes, 2008. Just providing the info he requested, and a 2011 is susceptible to heat soak as well. My C&R HE fixed this and still works well with my Whipple.

finally03gt

Established Member
Guys, I appeciate it all. 99ssls1: I'm watching you man...... I know it isn't the most effiecent and far from best heat solution, but $130 for two fans on stock HE keeping temps 110-120° Seems like a nice "bandaid". On a side note, I'm assuming you guys are watching AIT's with a hand held tuner? If I can scrub some heat, Evolution has the pulley, idler bracket, plugs, sct3, and JLT carbon intake for just over $1k. In the mean time, keep the eyes peeled for a used HE?

TheGovernment

Established Member
Guys, I appeciate it all. 99ssls1: I'm watching you man...... I know it isn't the most effiecent and far from best heat solution, but $130 for two fans on stock HE keeping temps 110-120° Seems like a nice "bandaid". On a side note, I'm assuming you guys are watching AIT's with a hand held tuner? If I can scrub some heat, Evolution has the pulley, idler bracket, plugs, sct3, and JLT carbon intake for just over $1k. In the mean time, keep the eyes peeled for a used HE?

guy was selling a new in box AFCO for $640 in the classifieds... 150$ off is decent!

jenkins_1120

Established Member

i have that same kit, it definatly woke the car up. my AF stayed around 11.4 at WOT

99SSls1

Established Member

Yes I am logging the iat2 via laptop and sct on live link.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Well you do tune and pulley and just enter heat soak faster. Raise the temp in which timing is pulled and just get the system even hotter. Just take longer to cool down. HE will keep the car cool and allows the power you have to always be there. Might make the difference in stop and go traffic when it frees up and the guy beside you wants to play before you drive 10 miles down the road trying to cool off

finally03gt

Established Member
I know many will scoff, but I think I'm gonna try a pair of fans for $150 on the stock HE. See what happens.... If I can keep enough heat off the IAT, then on to the pulley/tune. IF not, hell the fans with sell at a swap meet for at least half price.. call it a $75 experiment.

finally03gt

Established Member
OH.... and if the fans added to stock HE put a dent in it, then after the pulley/tune, go KC to really kill the heat.

rstar95556

Established Member
I know many will scoff, but I think I'm gonna try a pair of fans for $150 on the stock HE. See what happens.... If I can keep enough heat off the IAT, then on to the pulley/tune. IF not, hell the fans with sell at a swap meet for at least half price.. call it a $75 experiment.

What fans are you goimg to use?

Users who are viewing this thread