Bench press advantage, long vs short arms?

quad

Established Member
easy. this isn't smackdown.

i'll just leave this here, to help you back pedal a bit.

Human height - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5'9.5" is a far cry from the "average guy @ 6 feet" according to you.

Bruce Wilhelm - 6'2"
Jesse Marunde - 6'4"
Bill Kazmaier - 6'2"

Just a few random power lifters. Let me know if you need me to look up more. Although i'm sure you don't, since you're clearly an expert on the subject.

Good thing no average guys, at 5'9", want to be a strongman. According to your logic, they'd be running the show.

Yes, almost all WSM competitors are over 6'-0". Their height is great for lifting stones, pulling trucks, pressing logs etc. And while they are able to bench, squat and dead lift huge weights they are not the world record holders for those lifts.

Scot Mendelson is 6'-1" though and holds the unequipped Bench Press World Record:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scot_Mendelson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progression_of_the_bench_press_world_record

Gene Rychlak is 6'-1" and Ryan Kennelly is 6'-2". So I guess yes the best pressers are over 6'-0".

Last edited:

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
this isn't smackdown, that's why i stopped at "you know shit all about powerlifting".

wow, so 2"-2.5" above average is "tall"? 6'0" guys aren't exactly uncommon. the height of 90% of american males can vary nearly a foot and a half, only you would think 2"-2.5" above average is exceptionally tall.

as was mentioned, nice job posting "a few random strongman competitors":bored: height is a HUGE advantage in strongman competitions because they tend to design a lot of the challenges for tall guys, I.E., atlas stones, fingal fingers, keg toss, etc.

hey, i got one for you to look up, try ed coan! oh, nevermind. you know a lot about powerlifting, so you obviously know a lot about ed coan, as anyone interested in powerlifting would. i mean, he has been called "the michael jordon of powerlifting" after all...
Yeah. You're wrong though, but yeah.

I like how you used the same athlete twice to reference your point. Guess you have to when you're working with limited resources.

Um, 2.5" is a big difference when I'm talking above average and you're talking below average. Simply put, 5'9" to 6'2" is a big enough difference, let alone comparing a short armed 5'5" guy to the same 6'2" guy. But you already have your mind made up, despite facts proving you wrong.

Carry on. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread