Belt slip or clutch slip?

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Recently got the car running good again but now another issue has come up. Car has a 3" upper pulley and stock lower on a VMP blower. New metco idlers and new gates belt. I'm not sure if it could be tighter or not. Would have to ask the shop that did it but they said the clutch was slipping. I didnt feel like that before the pulley idler and belt swap so that's what I'm thinking because it clutch grips hard to me but at about 5k rpms I lose about 2-3 lbs of boost and I can hear a squeal. Anybody ever had this happen? I would think I'd feel the clutch slipping if I'm ripping on it in 1st and 2nd when it spins the 555r tires and shows full boost but I know the clutch needs replacing when I go to E85. Where would you guys start? Ask the shop about the belt tensioner?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
When my belt was slipping it would squeal at high RPMs. If the clutch is slipping you'll also smell it. What did the car go to the shop for? What kind of tensioner are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

choate

Established Member
When my belt was slipping it would squeal at high RPMs. If the clutch is slipping you'll also smell it. What did the car go to the shop for? What kind of tensioner are you using?

A misfire. It was a bad plug. And to install the new MM pulley idlers, new belt, wideband, wiring for aero force and 170 deg stat. I realize I could do this on my own but I have the money and trust the shop and im far from a mechanic. Stock tensioner.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
To install the new MM pulley idlers, new belt, wideband, wiring for aero force and 170 deg stat. I realize I could do this on my own but I have the money and trust the shop and im far from a mechanic. Stock tensioner.

Any belt dust? Hit them up and and tell them your problems/symptoms and ask them to put a slightly smaller belt on it. I have a thump racing tensioner on mine and I still was having belt slip issues with a 3.0/4lb combo. Finally fixed it with an extremely tight belt.

choate

Established Member
Any belt dust? Hit them up and and tell them your problems/symptoms and ask them to put a slightly smaller belt on it. I have a thump racing tensioner on mine and I still was having belt slip issues with a 3.0/4lb combo. Finally fixed it with an extremely tight belt.

You know what I just checked it. The belt is too loose in my opinion. Some dust yes

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Please don't take it to the shop to replace a belt. You got to learn how to do some of the little things on your own.

Edit: With a 3" upper I run a 75" belt. That's with the metco idlers.

cj428mach

Established Member
Look on Rockauto you can get belts for peanuts over there, I've even purchased some for as low as $2.00. Because they're so cheap I have almost every belt from 73" to 78"...except now that I have a Whipple tensioner I don't need most of them lol.

choate

Established Member
Please don't take it to the shop to replace a belt. You got to learn how to do some of the little things on your own.

Edit: With a 3" upper I run a 75" belt. That's with the metco idlers.
Fair enough. I can do small stuff. I'm 36 years old and have learned I'm not mechanically inclined over the years. I used to like working on stuff. Now I hate it. You have 100mm idlers ? I've got 3 of those and one 90

choate

Established Member
Look on Rockauto you can get belts for peanuts over there, I've even purchased some for as low as $2.00. Because they're so cheap I have almost every belt from 73" to 78"...except now that I have a Whipple tensioner I don't need most of them lol.
That's where the belt came from. $32 tax, shipping and all

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
A misfire. It was a bad plug. And to install the new MM pulley idlers, new belt, wideband, wiring for aero force and 170 deg stat. I realize I could do this on my own but I have the money and trust the shop and im far from a mechanic. Stock tensioner.

Time to change shops or do this type of stuff yourself.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Fair enough. I can do small stuff. I'm 36 years old and have learned I'm not mechanically inclined over the years. I used to like working on stuff. Now I hate it. You have 100mm idlers ? I've got 3 of those and one 90

I did have that pulley combo that you have when I ran the 75" belt. I since went with the whipple adjustable pulley setup.

choate

Established Member

choate

Established Member
Well I think I found the problem. The belt is simply too long. I'm surprised it doesn't slip worse honestly. I can move it a good inch or two by just pushing on it and see the tensioner move right. Ordered two new belts today and will return whatever one isn't used. Also, appears the PO or maybe the shop that installed the blower grinded off one tab on the tensioner so it could be over tightened if you wanted.
57b3bc3accc2bbeaeb6b6efcfdfa6a8e.jpg

b12d920b07e6d2863bf95f023acf4456.jpg

choate

Established Member
Also before anybody else jumps in saying the shop doesn't know what they're doing the tuner shop didn't install the belt or MM idlers. It left there with stock and the already 90mm aux. A regular mechanic shop installed the three 100mm MM and the belt which I got off the belt guide on a chart estimate.

Users who are viewing this thread