belt question

btmhwb

Established Member
Just got back from stegemiers yesterday. I got a billetflow 2.76" and 100 mm idler installed. Put on a gates 74.5" belt as reccommended by billetflow. I ran the car a little yesturday and noticed some black dust by the idler and pulley. I was thinking there would be no chance of slip with this set up. My dyno graph looked real good, 453 rwhp and 480 rwtq. Is the black dust just because its new? I lso noticed that some people go wit ha 74" instead. Anybody have experience with this and did it solve the problem? Should I just leave the belt on there and see if it gets worse or change to a 74"? thanks for the help.
:rockon:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
it's normal...ever since I pullied mine, I have belt dust all over, no belt slip what so ever according to my 6 dyno graphs and my accurate aftermarket boost gauge...eventually, overtime, you will need to replace your gates belt, but you should be fine for a very long time since you just did that...I'm still on the stocker even pullied lol...

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
it's normal...ever since I pullied mine, I have belt dust all over, no belt slip what so ever according to my 6 dyno graphs and my accurate aftermarket boost gauge...eventually, overtime, you will need to replace your gates belt, but you should be fine for a very long time since you just did that...I'm still on the stocker even pullied lol...

+1,I`m running the 74.5=Dusty

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Mine have always dusted also, from what I've seen NS pulleys like Billetflow and RR tend to dust a lot more. But I ran a 74" belt with my 2.75 upper 100mm idler combo.

btmhwb

Established Member
yeah, i think what I am gonna do is, i dont think this one is slipping, so i am just gonna go 74 when this one poops out, or starts slipping...

antiv6

Established Member
how are you gonna put a 74 inch on? Are you gonna notch the tensioner? Mine was damn near maxed out for the 74.5

totenkopf13

Trouser Snake
Established Member
hmm. Dusty here as well. I just put on a new Gates 74" last week and a new LFP dual bearing 90mm on the aux idler bracket to replace the 90mm Motoblue idler pulley. I have a 2.8 upper pulley.

btmhwb

Established Member
Yeah, i just went and checked it again, it looks okay to me. I guess i will just monitor and see if it gets bad. the more i hear about it, i am just over reacting. Oh and I just saw that some of the guys have run a 74" belt, and on cobra bobs website it actually recommends the 74 instead of the 74.5. Billetflows says 74.5 though, so i have everything right. thanks for the responses.

Users who are viewing this thread