BBK Long Tube vs ARH or Kooks Long Tube

ExBlackCoupe

Established Member
Tried a search and was overloaded with info that just didn't really answer my question so hopefully someone in here can help.

Given the vast price difference (roughly $550) between a set of ARH or Kooks Longtubes with OR X-Pipe and the Ceramic coated BBK's with the same OR X-Pipe..........I am leaning towards the BBK's.

Before I pull the trigger I'd like to know real world opinions on the differences between the 3 options. Which makes more power, sounds better, easier install, longer lasting etc.

Under hood heat is a concern (to me anyway) and while I know header wrap is an option, it's a painful one that I would prefer not to exercise. If the HP difference is 5 - 10 HP and 5 - 10 FT LB of TQ I'd be willing to sacrifice that for the ceramic coated BBK's, but if it's a larger number, or there are other issues with the BBK's I am not aware of that would make a huge difference.

Currently the car has a 2.6 pulley, CAI and a magnaflow axle back on it. 3.73's and LCA's, UCA and Adj Panhard go in it on Saturday if that makes any sort of difference. (can't see why it would but you never know)

Thanks in advance for your input.

Speedwagon

Established Member
Tried a search and was overloaded with info that just didn't really answer my question so hopefully someone in here can help.

Given the vast price difference (roughly $550) between a set of ARH or Kooks Longtubes with OR X-Pipe and the Ceramic coated BBK's with the same OR X-Pipe..........I am leaning towards the BBK's.

Before I pull the trigger I'd like to know real world opinions on the differences between the 3 options. Which makes more power, sounds better, easier install, longer lasting etc.

Under hood heat is a concern (to me anyway) and while I know header wrap is an option, it's a painful one that I would prefer not to exercise. If the HP difference is 5 - 10 HP and 5 - 10 FT LB of TQ I'd be willing to sacrifice that for the ceramic coated BBK's, but if it's a larger number, or there are other issues with the BBK's I am not aware of that would make a huge difference.

Currently the car has a 2.6 pulley, CAI and a magnaflow axle back on it. 3.73's and LCA's, UCA and Adj Panhard go in it on Saturday if that makes any sort of difference. (can't see why it would but you never know)

Thanks in advance for your input.

Someone had told me that Kooks headers give you more HP for the money and AR headers are in a close second, so either will work. Its comes down to your preference. Personally I would go with Kooks. Just my .02$

JimIII@jdm

Honestly coming from a shop who has seen and installed most every header option available, Kooks and ARH fit better than any. They also offer more combinations of primary and collector dimensions. As well as mid pipe options, I see your in PA. I don't know how inspection is in your county but if you have to pass an OBDII test your best bet is with the Kooks Longtubes and Mid pipe using their Green cats. They're carb approved and will help keep all your exhaust monitors ready so you pass inspection testing. For a car with your modifications a set of the 1 3/4" - 3" headers and 3" H or X with cats going to OEM type (2 1/2") connection for the catback.

If your interested in any of these options call me, I can help make a good decision on what brand, size, and performance gains for your car. 732-780-0770

shelby2

Established Member
ARH 1 7/8 are AWSOME! The fit and finish is A+, I have no problem passing inspection and have the high flow cats from ARH as well. The sound with the Magnaflow cat back exhaust is really cool. If you get them spend a little extra and have them jet hot coated, engine bay temps will be alott lower, even lower then stock.
Mark

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I'll throw one more into the mix; Dynatech. Fit and finish are outstanding. They USED to be the "low priced leader" but no longer, they're only slightly less than Kooks. We sell those and Kooks and like both a lot. We've put on a number of different brands....Dynatech sucks less than the others if you're doing the installation yourself. Dynatech has a ceramic option from the factory.

bj

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I run AR's and their great. My friend had the BBK on his 2010, he had a slight issue with the x pipe fitting correctly, but I think it was due to him ordering the wrong type. The install for his also did not go well, but I am not sure if that was a shop issue or a product issue. In the end he was able to get everything resolved, but it was a pain.

Now that said, the car ran hard and sounded nice with the BBK's on and the stock cat backs. He then switched to a Magnaflow setup which also sounded good.

TheGovernment

Established Member
I generally go with Kooks for all my cars/trucks because they just fit very well. My buddies at the Ford dealership next door put mostly BBK headers on the mustangs and said they've never had an issue in the last 7-8 years of a BBK setup not fitting perfectly. I have a BBK midpipe and axlebacks and they fit perfect, my exhaust guy even commented on how great the fit.
My GM dealership I work at uses either Kooks or Dynatech on the Vettes/Camaros etc and I've not heard of an issue with them either. All I know is stainless works are terrible LOL

MattR

Established Member
I have 1 7/8 ARH, suck to get the bolts tight on the driver side. Fit great and the company stands behind any issue you might have.

Nsssane1

Established Member
Dynatech's are great!! No problem with fit at all, And you can pull the tranny out with them on, I've done it. Not sure about the rest.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I did my RXT with my AR's in place. Just tilted the engine some.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Dynatech's are great!! No problem with fit at all, And you can pull the tranny out with them on, I've done it. Not sure about the rest.

Kooks are no issue...shit you dont even need a retune if rear 02's are already off and retaining cat deletion.

Van@RevanRacing

American Racing Headers. They are the only manufacturer that can provide you with a Certification that all of their Product is 100% made in the U.S.A.

Besides being 100% American product the fitment is excellent. You can remove the trans and their merged spike collector really helps with horsepower and torque across the board.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
I went with Stainless works only cause they were cheap at a swap meet. But happy with them regardless. If that was not an option. Kooks or dynatech would have been on my list

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
You really can't go wrong w/ either ARH or Kooks, they're both top shelf when it comes to headers. I've owned both brands and the fit and finish on both is incredible, one thing to note is the Kooks are more of a mid length header whereas the ARH's are a true full length long tube.

Users who are viewing this thread