Battery recommendation for seasonal Terminator

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
The original battery needs to be replaced. Weight is not an issue since car is basically stock and I don't race. The car sits in the garage on a battery tender from Oct/Nov until March/April.

What is my best choice in a battery?

black 10th vert

Established Member
Well, I'm sure there are better/more expensive ones out there, but I bought my replacement from Costco back in '07, or '08, and it is still going strong. I didn't want to spend a ton on a battery that just sits most of the time, and this one proved to be an excellent choice. My car sometimes sits for 3, or 4 months at a time without ever starting it.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I has a Odyssey battery in my airplane. They can hold a charge according to the mfg for 2 years. All I know is the thing could sit for months and it would still turn the engine over. This is the battery I would get if it's the car is going to sit over an extended period but you will still need to hang a trickle charger on it or the anti-theft system will drain the battery no matter which one you choose.

Odyssey Batteries - High performance deep cycle AGM Odyssey battery

08mojo

Established Member
You need to look for a deep cycle battery. Any brand should work, although I'm sure some are better than others.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
I has a Odyssey battery in my airplane.
Airplane battery in my Cobra hmm :-D. Seriously, the auto ones look interesting.

You need to look for a deep cycle battery. Any brand should work, although I'm sure some are better than others.
Is there any spec for holding a long term charge?

I figured with the size of the collector car market someone would have been all over this niche.

oldmodman

Established Member
Not very sexy, but get a Kirkland at Costco.

I took a seven year old battery back and they gave me cash back. And I went right over to their tire dept and bought another one.

timbo3282

Established Member
I've gotten 5 years of service from my Optima Red Top and I only have put 4,000 miles total on the car in the 8 years I've owned it (Maybe 2,000 of those on the Optima in the last 5 years). I know there are more infrequently used Cobras out there - but not many.

Invest in a Battery Tender Plus - http://batterytender.com/automotive/battery-tender-plus-12v-at-1-25a.html

I got a great deal on eBay for a 6 pack of them. I have one for both batteries in my boat, my wave runner, my Terminator, lawn tractor, etc and I haven't had a single battery fail on me since I started using them. They are THE BEST battery maintainer for the money from my experience (8 years and counting now). It's well worth the investment when you think of what a replacement battery costs.

Last edited:

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
Decision made.

I contacted and spoke with a couple of manufactures who confirmed what I had read on some boards; with a good battery tender winter storage is not that big of an issue.

I did not go with Optima Yellow/Red top because of the need to modify the tray, price, some negative reviews here and there and my car is still stock.

So the winner is ....Motorcraft. Unless you really know the difference it looks original, about the same price of aftermarket batteries and seems everyone who has one likes them (including TimsPony who lives a good couple of hours north of me - Thanks Tim).

Last edited:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Listen to this Im still on the original battery in the 00 Saleen and the original battery in the 03 Cobra and Im in cold weather climate! Stored winters never a battery tender on them sometimes dead in spring. Go figure I think I would buy the ford one. Besides there is only 3 battery manufactures left make them for all the brands

Users who are viewing this thread