Bassani exhaust RESTORE/POLISH

MineralStang

Established Member
OK...I have to ask a question.

BTW....everyones work looks AWESOME! Congrats! Makes me wish I had a Termi even more than I already do. LOL

I have a Magnaflow catback on my '02 GT and the tips are slightly dirty, but they also have fine scratches in them after I polish them up with Never Dull. They look decent, but not spectacular. As far as I know, the tips and the piping (on the Bassani and Magnaflow as well as some others are all SS). So why shouldn't you sand and polish the tips just like the rest of the tubing to get the same result? I was hoping the sanding process would help remove the scratches on the tips. Or am I completely missing something?

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
^ Nice question!!! I am in limbo on this as well... My tip were NASTY! na dlooked as the were decaying...LOL! I sanded them down with the 1st few steps...Nice...But not spectacular... Then it hit me... ARE THEY CHROME!!!??? If so, I may have taken the chance and ruined them...(U can see the surface scratches from the sand paper on my first steps posted...) But! I plane on salvaging them as I have with the rest of the exhaust... I will post pics of the progress...Might start tomorrow... So, to answer your question... IDK... I am bought to find out if they are chrome or SS... Either way... I don't see why they should NOT come shiney... Anything better then what they were before...YUK!!!

VtekII

Established Member
your tips should be stainless, i think only borlas are chrome? i just got a new magnaflow kit and their polished. i appologize for loadin up yur thread with my lowly 01...

DSC03804.jpg

DSC03725.jpg

DSC03720.jpg

DSC03705.jpg

MineralStang

Established Member
^ Nice question!!! I am in limbo on this as well... My tip were NASTY! na dlooked as the were decaying...LOL! I sanded them down with the 1st few steps...Nice...But not spectacular... Then it hit me... ARE THEY CHROME!!!??? If so, I may have taken the chance and ruined them...(U can see the surface scratches from the sand paper on my first steps posted...) But! I plane on salvaging them as I have with the rest of the exhaust... I will post pics of the progress...Might start tomorrow... So, to answer your question... IDK... I am bought to find out if they are chrome or SS... Either way... I don't see why they should NOT come shiney... Anything better then what they were before...YUK!!!

Let me know! I was figuring that if the tips are just polished SS from Magnaflow, then I should be able to clean them up just like the rest of the SS tubing on the Magnaflows. Any help would be great on if we could use the same process on the tips! Looking good everyone! :rockon:

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
anyone go to the track after polishing their exhaust and have trouble with rubber getting on the exhaust and staining it? im planning to polishing my exhaust since my car is down right now but i go the the track about every other week in the fall and spring. i don't want to polish my exhaust and ruin it at the track.

Last edited:

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
^ Just wet it and hit it up with the 2000 grit and polish (last 2 stages for the initial polish job)...DONE! AND wa-la! I had a lil rubber tacky on my tip from the tires and worked FINE!

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
^ Just wet it and hit it up with the 2000 grit and polish (last 2 stages for the initial polish job)...DONE! AND wa-la! I had a lil rubber tacky on my tip from the tires and worked FINE!

thanks for the info. i also thought about using pam on it at the track and washing the rubber away if the pam doesn't burn off.

bubbrubb

3608982274_db49d425d9_o.jpg

while not the best pic, you can see they're polished.

Took me maybe 2 hours total to do both sides. How? put the rear of the car up on jack stands, mask off your gas tank with painters tape, go to town with a mother's powerball. After that I used a cotton buffing wheel and the white jewelers rouge, wiped it all back down and waxed it.

80% of the results with 20% of the effort. :)

Users who are viewing this thread